The Student Room Group

Parents disapprove of my GCSEs

Hi,

I’m in Year 9, and we are approaching the deadline to submit our GCSE options. Apart from the compulsory maths/English/triple science, I initially picked Latin, history, French and Classical Greek.

It’s worth mentioning that I do enjoy Latin, but ultimately my interests and talents lie with the humanities and the only reason I haven’t picked Philosophy and Ethics (Religious Studies) was because my mum (very atheist) strongly disapproves of it.
I’m not religious myself, but the course is still very interesting and extends to different branches of philosophy, also including religious attitudes to issues like abortion, war, terrorism, marriage etc.
This is something I’d be very interested in studying, and I really regret dropping the subject in year 8 (once more because of my mum’s attitude towards it).

Recently I’ve realised that I would be much happier and more confident taking philosophy/RS instead of Latin, and reached out to my Head of Year.

He said it was fine for me to take it provided I have a reason (I did) and my parents send an email consenting (they did not). Instead, we had an argument and my parents refused to agree to it.

I’m tired of constantly choosing subjects to please them and I’m not backing down from my options now, but I just don’t know how to approach this now. I know my parents (mum especially) are very supportive in all my other subjects and hobbies, but only if they approve of them.

I don’t know if I should involve my form tutor, or try to talk this through yet again with my parents (it’ll probably just end in another fight.)
If anyone has ever been in a similar situation, I’d really appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Hi Horus

Sorry to hear about your troubles. If your parents won't let you take RS, it's not the end of the world. There are some philosophical and religious themes in the texts of both Greek and Latin (and the troubles of the gods often pop up in the unseen translations in the prose papers!).

You can also read the textbooks of the RS GCSE. Not ideal, but at least you'll get a handle on the content of the course.

There'll be plenty of time to do some serious study of religion later at A-level or degree. All is not lost.

Original post by HorusTheAvenger
Hi,

I’m in Year 9, and we are approaching the deadline to submit our GCSE options. Apart from the compulsory maths/English/triple science, I initially picked Latin, history, French and Classical Greek.

It’s worth mentioning that I do enjoy Latin, but ultimately my interests and talents lie with the humanities and the only reason I haven’t picked Philosophy and Ethics (Religious Studies) was because my mum (very atheist) strongly disapproves of it.
I’m not religious myself, but the course is still very interesting and extends to different branches of philosophy, also including religious attitudes to issues like abortion, war, terrorism, marriage etc.
This is something I’d be very interested in studying, and I really regret dropping the subject in year 8 (once more because of my mum’s attitude towards it).

Recently I’ve realised that I would be much happier and more confident taking philosophy/RS instead of Latin, and reached out to my Head of Year.

He said it was fine for me to take it provided I have a reason (I did) and my parents send an email consenting (they did not). Instead, we had an argument and my parents refused to agree to it.

I’m tired of constantly choosing subjects to please them and I’m not backing down from my options now, but I just don’t know how to approach this now. I know my parents (mum especially) are very supportive in all my other subjects and hobbies, but only if they approve of them.

I don’t know if I should involve my form tutor, or try to talk this through yet again with my parents (it’ll probably just end in another fight.)
If anyone has ever been in a similar situation, I’d really appreciate any advice!

Thank you
Reply 2
Religious studies is a thing every atheist needs to understand atheism fully. I strongly recommend taking it despite what your mother says. I'm an atheist myself and have only learned why I follow my path because of religious studies. It's your future, not hers.
Original post by HorusTheAvenger
Hi,

Thank you
Please do not do RS. I did the course for this year's GCSEs as in my school it is mandatory.
Take it from me, a person who loves a good old debate, it's a waste of time. You can find the same amount of enjoyment by reading up on the subjects on the internet in your own free time. It's not an enjoyable test, the questions often require too much waffle.
Take it from me, don't do it and pick something else.

Quick Reply