The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have heard sooooo many rumours about whether first year counts or not, but I just see it as this: If you have exams in the first year, to an extent it does count because you have to pass in order to get onto the 2nd year.

As for weightings in the 2nd and 3rd years, im not too sure how it all works, but i'll find out in Sept for 2nd year. (hopefully i'll past resit exam).
Reply 2
At DMU you have to pass the exams and tests in the first year to progress to the second year but your first year grades don't count towards your degree classification
dealbreaker

For Cambridge students, would you quote the highest mark you've got over the three/four years or should you only be quoting your final year degree class?

I so wish all degrees worked like that!

Cambridge:

wikipedia, the font of all knowledge
At Oxford and Cambridge, honours classes apply to examinations, not to degrees. Thus, in Cambridge, where undergraduates are examined at the end of each Part of the Tripos, a student may receive different classifications for different Parts. The degree itself does not formally have a class. Most Cambridge graduates use the class of the final Part as the class of the degree, but this is an informal usage. At Oxford, the Final Honour School results are generally applied to the degree.

For me it's 25% second year, 25% dissertation and 50% final year modules.
Reply 4
Yeah, At Cambridge we don't get a class, but employers and things don't understand this so you tend to either state all three separately or just give the final one.
At Aberystwyth you have to pass first year modules (40% or more) to progress to 2nd year, but only 2nd and 3rd years count towards your degree.
Reply 6
First year doesn't count but you have to pass it obviously

Second year - 40%

Third year - 60% (Almost 40% of the third year average comes from the dissertation though if that makes sense)
Clearly it's different everywhere you go. The course I'm on is weighted 1:4:4:4 (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th year).
On my course first year doesn't count (I just had to get <60% to carry on) then second year is 20%, 3rd year is 30% and fourth year is 50% and I have to keep up a certain percentage overall as well as getting the usual 40 pass mark in all modules, so complicated even I don't understand!
Reply 9
For me, it was;

1st year - 0%
2nd year - 40%
3rd year - 60% (of which, 40 came from 2 dissertations, and 20 from 2 essays)
Reply 10
For me:
1 10%
2 20%
3 40%
4 30%

3rd year is so much because we have 2 comprehensive papers which test all core modules and are worth 6% each :eek: . 12% of my degree is in two papers ! Not cool at all.
depends on the cousre but for epais its 25:75 2nd:3rd year. have to pass first year with 40% to progress...
Reply 12
At Durham, 3 year courses are 40% second year and 60% third year. We just have to pass the first year (ie. get 40%). 4 year courses are divided 2/9, 3/9, 4/9 for second, third and fourth years respectively. The coursework:exam ratio varies from course to course.
Reply 13
*River
At Durham, 3 year courses are 40% second year and 60% third year.

Are they? I'm sure when I was told it was split 50-50 between years two and three. :redface:

I hope you're right though. This coming year, my final year, should be my strongest.
for architecture

1st year -0%
2nd year -25%
3rd year 75%

fun eh?
Reply 15
River85
Are they? I'm sure when I was told it was split 50-50 between years two and three. :redface:

I hope you're right though. This coming year, my final year, should be my strongest.

I'm pretty sure that your final year is given a greater weighting than your second. If I'm wrong it's because I'm making the assumption that what the History department does reflects the university's policy.
My first year doesn't count and my department told me they have no system other than judgement for the second/third year weightings which seems a little strange but works in my advantage.
Reply 17
*River
I'm pretty sure that your final year is given a greater weighting than your second. If I'm wrong it's because I'm making the assumption that what the History department does reflects the university's policy.

I'll go off and ask on Monday.

After some quick research I've found out history split their weighting that way (as you said) and Natural sciences.

I'd be suprised if other departments were different. I can just remember reading the philosophy department handbook back in 2004, it said final degree classification was split equally between second and third years.

This is embarrissing, I usually do know where I'm at, honest :smile:
Reply 18
At my uni, you had to pass the first year with an average of over 40% to pass to the second year, but it didn't count towards your overall classification. Then your degree class was calculated by taking an average of the top 200 credits out of the 240 you'd taken during the second and third years.
It's interesting how different everywhere is. And I didn't know that Cambridge and Oxford don't classify degrees. They may as well start doing it really, I'd say...

For me, first year doesn't count but you need to pass at least 100/120 credits and all your core modules. And then weighting for second and third years is a bit odd. From my understanding, they work out what the result would be with the weighting at 1:1 and 1:2, and whichever result is higher is awarded to you. Which is..weird, but nice!

Edit.
Yeah this is what it says in the handbook: "The degree class for a Bachelor's degree with Classified Honours is determined according to the better of 1:1 or 1:2 weighting of grades between years 2 and 3, respectively."
Is Leeds the only place that does this??

Latest