Foundation Degree in oral health science

Watch
laallalalla
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi there !!
After sitting my alevels I’m not feeling 100% and I am looking at back ups for the worst case possible. I really want to do Dental Hygeine and Therapy in QMUL however you need ABB which I don’t feel like I will get. I’m order to Qualify as a Dental Hygeinst you need to follow the GDC which does say 3 ways in obtaining the job; 1) undergraduate degree in dental hygeine/ oral health 2) diploma in Dental hygeine 3) Foundation Degree in Oral Health. Although I am looking into a foundation Degree, I’m not sure whether this fully qualifies me as a dental hygienist and whether there is any loophole to this because surely if you are studying a undergraduate degree you are more qualified. For this reason I’m not sure if I should look into the foundation Degree as I’m not sure if I can qualify in Dental Hygeine from this Degree soley. It would be great if someone could help me out !! Thanks x
Moymoyxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, Recently I've noticed many of the universities are scrapping the dental hygiene/therapy diplomas and replacing them with degrees because degrees hold more weight than the diploma. Essex however, offers the opportunity to a do a more work-based practical course. Students are doing practical work from the very first year compared to most other 3 year degrees. Depending on how easily you pick up practical skills it might be worth contacting individual universities to find out how early you are introduced to practical work in each degree. But you'd still be able to qualify as a hygienist with the FdSc and top up later with the BSc to become a therapist at Essex.
laallalalla
Rep:
?
Thank you so much ! I didn’t acknowledge the fact that degrees will have more weight than diplomas so that’s really helpful !! Xx

So if I do a foundation course in Dental Hygeine at Essex I would still need to do a BSc aswell I’m order to qualify as a dental hygeinst ? Or would I only do the BSc if I wanted to also have a dental therapy qualification ?
Last edited by laallalalla; 1 year ago
Moymoyxo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep, especially if you want to work outside of the UK once you qualify and are up against other hygienist/therapists with degrees. You'd only need to top up if you want to be a dental therapist. The FdSc is sufficient to become a dental hygienist.
laallalalla
Rep:
?
Okay that’s great ! Thanks so much for the help. I really do appreciate it ❤️❤️
I’m literally just waiting for my results now but I genuinely don’t feel like I did well at all, not even enough to get into a foundation year ;( I would want to re sit if I didn’t get my grades but subjects like Maths and Biology, I just don’t know how much more effort I can put in to get A’s and B’s ! I really am just so confused about my life choices at the moment 😖😖
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads