Application to Organizational Psychology - Rejected at City

Watch
Trotter77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I applied to the graduate programme in organizational psychology to a few schools in UK and I received a prompt rejection from the department this week. Although I have reached out to the university to clarify what my application lacked, i have not received any response from them.

I am a mature student. My references are all professional since it has been over 10 years that i completed my undergrad studies. In my last role i was working as a manager in a consulting firm. Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that I am an international student. A year ago I left my work and decided to teach students in a remote part of the country, take the GRE and apply for a masters programme. I have no formal experience in research or psychology, I studied literature, but my professional experience is in the realm of organizational learning and development which is directly related to the field. I have a plethora of knowledge that I can bring to a college at this point. The essays that I wrote were vetted by my seniors at work and a few friends who studied clinical psychology and nearly all of them agreed that it had substance. Moreover, they were written from the heart, so I am extremely bummed by the rejection and also anxious about my remaining applications. Do any of you have experience in applying for this course at City or elsewhere? Do they necessarily need a high GPA and a formal training in Psychology? Or can significant work experience cover for a bad grade in undergrad which you received over ten years ago? Any advice would help.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Trotter77)
Hi,

I applied to the graduate programme in organizational psychology to a few schools in UK and I received a prompt rejection from the department this week. Although I have reached out to the university to clarify what my application lacked, i have not received any response from them.

I am a mature student. My references are all professional since it has been over 10 years that i completed my undergrad studies. In my last role i was working as a manager in a consulting firm. Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that I am an international student. A year ago I left my work and decided to teach students in a remote part of the country, take the GRE and apply for a masters programme. I have no formal experience in research or psychology, I studied literature, but my professional experience is in the realm of organizational learning and development which is directly related to the field. I have a plethora of knowledge that I can bring to a college at this point. The essays that I wrote were vetted by my seniors at work and a few friends who studied clinical psychology and nearly all of them agreed that it had substance. Moreover, they were written from the heart, so I am extremely bummed by the rejection and also anxious about my remaining applications. Do any of you have experience in applying for this course at City or elsewhere? Do they necessarily need a high GPA and a formal training in Psychology? Or can significant work experience cover for a bad grade in undergrad which you received over ten years ago? Any advice would help.
Have you asked City for feedback? Writing from the heart is generally a very bad tactic in a small piece of work like an essay, it can create a loss of focus and neutrality and encourage assumptions to be made etc.

I'm not sure how open City is to people with non-traditional backgrounds - you might do some research on which Uni's look favourably on mature students and those using professional experience rather than qualifications. Cambridge is one, Birkbeck another, the OU also, but a different experience - have a look on the Mature Student forum, I think there might be a sticky thread at the top about it.

Significant experience can cover up for weaker undergrad performance (I found that at Cam), but it helps if they have confidence and experience of that being the case from prior students.
Trotter77
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Grateful for your inputs. I am aware of Birkbeck but not sure how it fairs in terms of employability. Based on my research, I do not think Cambridge offers a masters degree in organizational psychology. Their work seemed focused on clinical, sports and other types of psychology. I did write to the point of contact at City almost immediately, thanking her for her time and also asking for clarification/feedback on what I lacked in my application. But as I mentioned earlier, I have not received an answer from her or the department.

It is possible that I was overestimating the impact of either my work experience or my personal statement. However, I would not go as far as to say that I veered off topic. What I am trying to say is that I answered all aspects of their essay and honestly assessed my aptitude and motivation for applying for the course, all of which was very close to my heart. I even answered an additional questionnaire that they sent me a week after I had submitted my application, which in hindsight seems like should have been a red flag.

The other increasing concern I have is that one of my two referee had to drop out of the reference process due to a family emergency, and I still have two more college applications that need references. Although I have reached out to several supervisors in that or any previous organizations, I am yet to receive a response. I was consistently rated high and have a drawer full of awards and accolades, but all that will do nothing for me if I cannot produce a timely reference.
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Have you asked City for feedback? Writing from the heart is generally a very bad tactic in a small piece of work like an essay, it can create a loss of focus and neutrality and encourage assumptions to be made etc.

I'm not sure how open City is to people with non-traditional backgrounds - you might do some research on which Uni's look favourably on mature students and those using professional experience rather than qualifications. Cambridge is one, Birkbeck another, the OU also, but a different experience - have a look on the Mature Student forum, I think there might be a sticky thread at the top about it.

Significant experience can cover up for weaker undergrad performance (I found that at Cam), but it helps if they have confidence and experience of that being the case from prior students.
Last edited by Trotter77; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads