Students may have to apply after A levels Watch

mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DragonsOfAsshai)
I still have to do 7 exams in total for maths/further maths and 3 in each of the sciences so it isn't that much of a jump I guess. However looking at the AS exams they looked quite repetitive.
fair enough maybe not as big a jump as i thought but its 6 each in math/further so 12 maths exams total, i thought that was more than what happens today but maybe im wrong the format used to be 8 pure modules, 4 applied (stats & mechanics)
DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
fair enough maybe not as big a jump as i thought but its 6 each in math/further so 12 maths exams total, i thought that was more than what happens today but maybe im wrong the format used to be 8 pure modules, 4 applied (stats & mechanics)
Ah ok we have 7 in total so 3 single maths papers and 4 further maths papers
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by DoNotMove)
Is there anything stopping the uni terms just being moved later, so that university starts in March or something, as it doesn't really have to line up with the normal academic year.
How do you support yourself for those months if you can't rely on the bank of Mum and Dad and are living in a town without a shortage of barristas?

How does the VC recruit foreign students if his academic year is out of kilter with other northern hemisphere countries competing for the same candidates?

Are you happy if you are a graduate recruiter and your annual recruitment cycle is suddenly changed without so much as a "by your leave"?

How much does it cost to install/upgrade air conditioning in university teaching buildings that will now be used in July and August?
Last edited by nulli tertius; 4 weeks ago
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
makes more sense that way
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheTroll73)
No GCSE's should remain as a prospective math undergrad would definitely not want to deal with history/english/other subject(s) they are likely to dislike in Y13 for example.

Applying after results by all means. Predicted grades shouldn't even be a thing. Plus leaves more time to choose what to study.

I'm not sure about later school starts. After all I never had any problems because I slept early enough, which I'm sure others are capable of doing. Anyway there's nothing to do at night except watching TV, which students can also do in daytime. However if it's excessive homework that forces students to stay up, then the problem is that: excessive homework.
I agree.
Leave gcse's as they are. Not everyone goes to 6th form anyway.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Not everyone goes to 6th form anyway.
And this is something the government ought to encourage?
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Should just go back to the old modular system and do away with predictions entirely
Haider_A
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Jpw1097)
Why do you think school should start later? After all, one part of going to school is to prepare you for work later in life where you will undoubtedly have early starts.
It's easier for an adult to adjust to early starts, compared to teenagers who are in a very 'chemically imbalanced' phase of their lives, making them much more sensitive to lack of sleep.

Especially with mental disorders such as stress, anxiety and depression on the rise in teenagers, a later school start may mitigate against this, to some extent.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
And this is something the government ought to encourage?
No.
6th form isnt for everyone. Some people prefer to do a course at college, others prefer to do an apprenticeship. Especially if they have a specific career in mind. Not everyone wants to go to uni, and not every job requires a dagree.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by lostplot)
well maybe if they stopped making a levels so hard. Why cant we have a better education system. a few hours decide your fate
What would be better?
(Original post by PunjabiCookie)
What are your views on...

1. Scrapping GCSES and having all exams in Year 13
2. Applying after results
3. Adjusting school hours (later starts)
1) No
2) possibly
3) no. People would just go to bed later.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.7%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
9.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (456)
58.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.82%

Watched Threads