Anjn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
How did everyone find it?
1. I ran out of of time - which was predictable.
2. Natural Law question was shweeet, I compared it to Situation Ethics.
3. Conscience question was cute, I compared this to Aquinas
4. Didn't really like Meta-ethics question, only did page and half but last Philosophy exam I missed out a whole 40 marker, so I've improved lol
Last edited by Anjn; 9 months ago
blobgamage
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did conscience but felt like I was waffling and repeating myself. am I the only one who thinks conscience is a difficult topic to get a whole essay out of? maybe I just didn't know it well enough
(Original post by amechinjn)
How did everyone find it?
1. I ran out of of time - which was predictable.
2. Natural Law question was shweeet, I compared it to Situation Ethics.
3. Conscience question was cute
4. Didn't really like Meta-ethics question, only did page and half but last time I missed out a whole 40 marker, so I've improved lol
HectorHemingway
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did Natural Law vs UtilityBusiness Ethics - Mill's Formulation/Singer Libertarian Extension shows it is of use. Businesses can make profit and he socially responsible.Conscience - Freud is good to the extent that recognises the significance of culture and society in forming our conscience. BUT fails to note changing conscience and moral development and we also have misplaced guilt (survivors guilt). Then analysed the other psychological approaches (Fromm, Kohlberg and Piaget).Was an okay exam but timings were tight!
gabicgai
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
philosophy went better, this one was tight for time so my last question (i did business ethics last) was quite rushed... i really have no idea how it went. i think my essays on natural law and meta ethics were good however the last one... i dont know
Anjn
Rep:
?
I feel like we should really have 2h30, the timing makes my structure go out the window. But good luck to you, I'm sure you did amazing What did you argue for meta-ethics?
(Original post by gabicgai)
philosophy went better, this one was tight for time so my last question (i did business ethics last) was quite rushed... i really have no idea how it went. i think my essays on natural law and meta ethics were good however the last one... i dont know
Last edited by Anjn; 9 months ago
Anjn
Rep:
?
Sounds really good, I didn't even think of most of those evaluations for Freud. I based all my evaluations on him from what I learnt in psychology:
1. His atheistic approach may have influenced his interpretations when observing his case studies = only helpful to atheist, not religious believers, small sample size also reduces generalisation to others conscience
2. His emphasis on abstract concepts/ideas of the Oedipus Complex/ personality = aren't tangible/ empirical
3. His focus on external factors such as upbringing
I then compared this to Aquinas who has a religious approach about conscience being God-given = helpful to religious believers, focus on the synderesis & conscientia etc
Good luck!

(Original post by HectorHemingway)
I did Natural Law vs UtilityBusiness Ethics - Mill's Formulation/Singer Libertarian Extension shows it is of use. Businesses can make profit and he socially responsible.Conscience - Freud is good to the extent that recognises the significance of culture and society in forming our conscience. BUT fails to note changing conscience and moral development and we also have misplaced guilt (survivors guilt). Then analysed the other psychological approaches (Fromm, Kohlberg and Piaget).Was an okay exam but timings were tight!
dx31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by blobgamage)
I did conscience but felt like I was waffling and repeating myself. am I the only one who thinks conscience is a difficult topic to get a whole essay out of? maybe I just didn't know it well enough
Same I'm really worried about my essay becuase I just kept waffling and didnt make any concise points
Anjn
Rep:
?
(Original post by blobgamage)
Yes, Freud is confusing and I found it hard to relate all of my outline to conscience - it seemed irrelevant
gabicgai
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i spoke about emotivism (Ayer and Stevenson) in relation to the content of the question and then countered it with ethical naturalism (Bradley and Foot) which says that good/bad is not in the mind but an absolute observable in the world. Some people seem to be saying the question was relating to intuitionism however to me it seemed open to either. ironic that i did better in a question on a tough topic compared to one on a supposedly simple one (business ethics)
(Original post by amechinjn)
I feel like we should really have 2h30, the timing makes my structure go out the window. But good luck to you, I'm sure you did amazing What did you argue for meta-ethics?
Joe312
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I don't think the meta-ethics essay was about intuitionism honestly, because while the intuitions are just in our mind, nonetheless what they are intuitions OF is the non-natural reality, according to Moore. Therefore intuitionism doesn't reduce ethics to 'merely' in our mind, though there is of course the mental component of intuitions. 'Goodness' is also a part of reality, according to Moore; or part of 'being', is what he exactly said. That's what makes intuitionism a form of moral realism, the view that moral properties exist in reality. Not just in our mind then...
Anjn
Rep:
?
I agree. I spoke 99% of the essay about emotivism, but when quickly reading over it due to my paranoid self, I added one line saying that "some could argue that intuitionism also ..... blah blah ". However, I definitely think the essay was about emotivism.
(Original post by Joe312)
I don't think the meta-ethics essay was about intuitionism honestly, because while the intuitions are just in our mind, nonetheless what they are intuitions OF is the non-natural reality, according to Moore. Therefore intuitionism doesn't reduce ethics to 'merely' in our mind, though there is of course the mental component of intuitions. 'Goodness' is also a part of reality, according to Moore; or part of 'being', is what he exactly said. That's what makes intuitionism a form of moral realism, the view that moral properties exist in reality. Not just in our mind then...
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thought the questions were really, really nice. Just wish I knew more about emotivism and intuitionism.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (26)
47.27%
No, they should still go ahead (12)
21.82%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (17)
30.91%

Watched Threads