A level options!?

Watch this thread
helpme111
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'd like to be a criminal psychologist but i'm unsure what A levels i need as i was planning on taking maths ,chemistry ,biology and philosophy. Will these A levels give me an advantage or disadvantage?
Also how long will it take me to become a criminal psychologist and is it hard job to get once graduated??
Cassie_2411
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I think it depends where you go to uni. In some places it doesn’t matter the subjects you take for a level so I think have a look at where you’d like to go to uni and decide what you need from there first x
helpme111
Rep:
(Original post by Cassie_2411)
I think it depends where you go to uni. In some places it doesn’t matter the subjects you take for a level so I think have a look at where you’d like to go to uni and decide what you need from there first x
okay thanks that helps but do u know if the job has good job opportunities?? x
helpme111
Rep:
ohhh okay that helps but do u think there are many job opportunities for a criminal psychologist?? x
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by helpme111)
I'd like to be a criminal psychologist but i'm unsure what A levels i need as i was planning on taking maths ,chemistry ,biology and philosophy. Will these A levels give me an advantage or disadvantage?
Also how long will it take me to become a criminal psychologist and is it hard job to get once graduated??
Your first step should be choosing Psychology A level so you can find out if you even enjoy the subject.

If you do, your second step would be studying Psychology at degree level followed by a Masters in Forensic Psychology. There is good careers information on the Prospects website
Last edited by harrysbar; 2 years ago
Cassie_2411
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It depends where you’re located I’d say. Even if you did psychology or criminology or anything like that then you could still go into the profession you want that way but if you changed your mind you’d still have backup plans like policing, counselling etc x
helpme111
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
Your first step should be choosing Psychology A level so you can find out if you even enjoy the subject.

If you do, your second step would be studying Psychology at degree level followed by a Masters in Forensic Psychology. There is good careers information on the Prospects website
my school doesn't do psychology A level but i thought i was able to study psychology without a psychology A level?
helpme111
Rep:
It depends where you’re located I’d say. Even if you did psychology or criminology or anything like that then you could still go into the profession you want that way but if you changed your mind you’d still have backup plans like policing, counselling etc x
Okay thankyou x
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can study psychology without the A-Level, but I think it would be helpful to take the A-Level to see if you enjoy and get on with the subject otherwise when you get to uni you might hate it! But if your college doesn't do it there's not much else to be done, so I think your other subjects are good choices
my school doesn't do psychology A level but i thought i was able to study psychology without a psychology A level?
helpme111
Rep:
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
You can study psychology without the A-Level, but I think it would be helpful to take the A-Level to see if you enjoy and get on with the subject otherwise when you get to uni you might hate it! But if your college doesn't do it there's not much else to be done, so I think your other subjects are good choices
okay thanks I understand that there is a possibility that I might hate it but I have an interest in psychology for quite a bit now so hopefully I will like it at uni.
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I don't doubt it, it's such an interesting subject good luck!
okay thanks I understand that there is a possibility that I might hate it but I have an interest in psychology for quite a bit now so hopefully I will like it at uni.
helpme111
Rep:
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
I don't doubt it, it's such an interesting subject good luck!
Thank you x
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can do psychology at degree level without doing it at A level first but it seems a bit unusual for someone who already feels they will be aiming for a career in psychology not to choose it at A level to make sure it is right for them. Did you consider moving to a different sixth form or college to do it?
helpme111
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
You can do psychology at degree level without doing it at A level first but it seems a bit unusual for someone who already feels they will be aiming for a career in psychology not to choose it at A level to make sure it is right for them. Did you consider moving to a different sixth form or college to do it?
I did but the sixth form here is really good and i'm not too keen on moving also i thought I should have some back up cos I think a psychology career probably be hard to do
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I did but the sixth form here is really good and i'm not too keen on moving also i thought I should have some back up cos I think a psychology career probably be hard to do
It's hard to become a professional psychologist, and most people who do psychology degrees don't do it. They tend to enter jobs where being interested in people is important, such as Human Resource Management, Marketing, Advertising, Journalism, Teaching and so on, or get jobs in completely different areas.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (58)
65.91%
No (23)
26.14%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.95%

Watched Threads