Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing my A-Levels in a shockingly short time. I want to go into banking/law/business , which may seem quite general but there doesn't seem to be much variety in A-Levels.

My choices so far are: Maths, Economics, English Lang & Lit, and Computing/I.T.

This has been bugging me for a while - computing or I.T? Clearly both will be quite neutral but I really like computers on the whole. Should I even be taking it? Argh! :eek:

Any advice from people with experience is seriously appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I think ICT would be best for what you wanna go into. Computing is to do with programming so nothing to do with business really

ReputationRep:
    dont choose ict.. its considered a soft a level

but then again its going to be strange choosing computing and not opting for computer science isnt it :s ?

Why not just take a science for the 4th instead?

ReputationRep:
    Don't take the combined English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nothingspek)
    Don't take the combined English.
    yeah, i was thinking literature would be a more respected choice

also nothingspek, your transferring into year 13 of KE arent you?

ReputationRep:
    Computing is more maths related and ICT is regarded as a "soft" subject. Having said that, ICT may be more helpful in a business environment but at the end of the day - go with what you want. What else can you(or would like) to do?

ReputationRep:
    There's bugger all maths in Computing, just adding and subtracting. I did computing over ICT though, it's a proper subject.

ReputationRep:
    Dont do computing!! i did it at as, its awfull! you learn about a whole host of useless crap, like how to covert to and from binary why would anyone need to know that we are humans not computers and already have our own language(s).

Do something like Chemistry, that will go well with maths and its interesting and looked upon highly by universities / business as it involves lots of analytical work and problem solving.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Torseor)
    This has been bugging me for a while - computing or I.T? Clearly both will be quite neutral but I really like computers on the whole. Should I even be taking it? Argh! :eek:
    Computing, as ICT is seen as an easier/softer subject (hence ICT being on the Cambridge 'blacklist').
    But Computing isn't that respected either (hence it being excluded from my Cambridge offer).

ReputationRep:
    Yah, sorting it all out on induction day.
    why are you jumping in for just year 13 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trance addict)
    why are you jumping in for just year 13 ?
    We're moving.

ReputationRep:
    We're moving.
    fair enough

ReputationRep:
    English Literature is better than Lang/Lit ?

If computing isn't respected then, argh. That leaves me with huge indecision.

ReputationRep:
    computing is respected, cambridge have it on their helpful list for computer science, maths and natsci

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torseor)
    English Literature is better than Lang/Lit ?
    Yes, definitely.

ReputationRep:
    The rule is: Computing if you're clever, ICT if you're not.

I would suggest you do the following if you can: Maths, Economics, English Lit., Computing and then drop Computing.

Doing Computing is good for a few reasons. First, it'll be amazingly easy for you if you like/know computers. It's like getting an extra few free periods but then an A at the end. However, it's nowhere near as unrespected as ICT. Plus, you'll have fun. Coding a program is far less dull than what you'll do in ICT.

Remember, most unis will want 2 Hard A2s and will allow you to get away with a Soft A2. In your case, you have 3 Hards and 1 Soft.

Just for your information, LSE accepted me and my A Levels are Maths, Econs and RS with Computing AS.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by trance addict)
    computing is respected, cambridge have it on their helpful list for computer science, maths and natsci
    Where did you see this? Does it depend on the college?
    My friend who has an offer from Cambridge has had Computing excluded from it.

ReputationRep:
    Do computing over ICT, as ICT is considered a 'softer' A-Level and is unbelievably boring. Computing has the smallest amount of actual computer based knowledge rather than using spreadsheets and making a macro.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Well then, I'll take English Lit instead of Lang/Lit, doesn't seem to be a "major" change and I enjoy reading.

I have the option to take Politics and Government. It's just struck me that this seems to be perfect for my career. I could replace computing with it, but I spend way too much time on the computer and I've picked up quite a lot from using the computer over the years..

Decisions decisions..

Edit: Just read your post Sports, ow.. completely not sure now..

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.