can I say I'm 1st to go to uni Watch

p1128
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
so I only live with my mum who had diploma in art but she has never found work there and works as a waiter ... so like do I count as the 1st to go to uni and can I say it in my reference
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by p1128)
so I only live with my mum who had diploma in art but she has never found work there and works as a waiter ... so like do I count as the 1st to go to uni and can I say it in my reference
They're not going to check her academic history so in reality you could say anything you like. If I'm honest it probably wouldn't strengthen your application anyway.

Typically 'first to attend' means neither of your parents attended Uni for a full undergraduate degree. It's irrelevant what they did with it after graduating.
p1128
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
thx so .. would u say I am though?
sophielouiseok
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
like the other poster said, it will have no impact on your application, but technically you're not, your mum went regardless of if she found work or not
p1128
Rep:
?
she did diploma not an actual full undergrad degree but thx , I know it wont but you have to tick it for ucas so I dont know which 😜
sophielouiseok
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i see! i completely forgot that was part of UCAS, i'd possibly clarify with your school as UCAS may still consider it the same thing
(Original post by p1128)
she did diploma not an actual full undergrad degree but thx , I know it wont but you have to tick it for ucas so I dont know which 😜
p1128
Rep:
?
thanks!
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by p1128)
A diploma in art is not a degree....I would tick the box
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Okay, so it’s a box on the application form, and not something for your reference or personal statement.

It depends on the context of the box and the guidance on the form.

Give UCAS a call, my guess is a diploma isn’t going to count as having attended Uni, but it’s up to them.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The difficulty is that prior to 1992 there were very few art courses in university. It used to be part of the remit of art colleges. After that date many art colleges joined forces with other establishments and obtained university status. Swansea college of Art has merged with others and is now known as University of Wales Trinity St Davids so depending when the mother did the course it meant not have been a university but it might be now. The question is on the ucas form as some universities use it as one of the criteria when deciding upon contextual offers. As you say only ucas can really answer this.
(Original post by Admit-One)
Okay, so it’s a box on the application form, and not something for your reference or personal statement.

It depends on the context of the box and the guidance on the form.

Give UCAS a call, my guess is a diploma isn’t going to count as having attended Uni, but it’s up to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1132)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (165)
7.99%

Watched Threads