Is Biology underrated? Watch

username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is doing biology at A-Level and in particular degree level underrated? Do you agree with the common perception that it is the "easy" science?
username4538836
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Why do you think people say it is the "easy" science?
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biology is overarching term that covers host of very important scientific disciplines. Unfortunately it gets associated with things like drawing the stigma of a flowering plant or a cross section of a uterus. I found Biology A level enjoyable but very general. A year of Biochemistry as part of my course at uni was brilliant. I am not sure I would do a Biology degree, a subdiscipline would be more detailed and useful I think.
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Didn't even think people thought of it as an easy science lol
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What do you hope to do in the future?
(Original post by theworld223)
Is doing biology at A-Level and in particular degree level underrated? Do you agree with the common perception that it is the "easy" science?
1Steven1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
no
not easy
Last edited by 1Steven1; 3 weeks ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by theworld223)
A young man like me, who did triple science and thus can compare the other science and has a passion for biology in particular, would say "yes". People who haven't these things, would certainly deny and tell you it is a hard science because of the many memorisations. Their answer is "no".
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If we're just talking about bio, chem and physics then at least up to AS level, I thought it was the easiest.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Satyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biology is probably the easiest science out of the three.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
People do see it as easy, yeah.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What kind of loser cares about "rating" stuff after the age of 12
username4858300
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did not do Biology in my A-levels, but I loved every single thing I learned from the subject during my GCSE-equivalent level. I remember learning about teeth growth and structures in different mammals and the entire biological system of a rabbit. Drawing diagrams is particularly what intrigues me most. As a person aiming to do physics at uni, I think the scientific drawing skills I recieved from Biology, such as organised labelling and noticing details like tiny structures in digestive and reproductive systems of a rabbit ( in my syllabus at least ), are what I appreciate most. Biochemistry is also interesting. In A-level Chemistry, I enjoyed learning the DNA replication and proteins linking to polymerisation. Also, don’t take it as you can’t be good at Maths because you do Bio. I recently read about modelling the human hair growth mathematically, and also the affect of mutation rate on evolutionary equilibrium, which I find fascinating! I usually joke around telling my personal tutor who teaches Biology how boring Biology is but if I were smart enough to handle five A-levels, then Biology would have been my fifth choice. Overall, there is no such thing as overrated or underrated subject. A physicist can’t discuss about English literature based on his/her expertise on solving Einstein’s field equations alone.
Last edited by username4858300; 2 weeks ago
MediocreSince01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Biology A-Level is difficult imo more so than chemistry (simply learning facts in chemistry versus the heavy application in biology)
Lovethe43
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No that is not right everything will be easy if are base is very strong and the present syllabus is the basic one you need focus on it too because if you go with the advanced bio study you will find all are related to the basics

(Original post by username4538836)
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
Biology A-Level is difficult imo more so than chemistry (simply learning facts in chemistry versus the heavy application in biology)
Chemistry also requires the application of knowledge, although it is to a lesser extent at A Level. Physics stomps the sh*t out of biology if you want to talk about the amount of AO2 at A Level.
MediocreSince01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Chemistry also requires the application of knowledge, although it is to a lesser extent at A Level. Physics stomps the sh*t out of biology if you want to talk about the amount of AO2 at A Level.
I can’t give my opinion on Physics since I don’t do it. However I do think it’s unfair biology is given the ‘easy’ name, when it is far from that.
Tolgarda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
I can’t give my opinion on Physics since I don’t do it. However I do think it’s unfair biology is given the ‘easy’ name, when it is far from that.
I've only ever heard this label from those who have studied all three at A Level and/or have studied a science at degree level. A discipline containing a lot of biology or biology itself involves a lot more memorisation and a lot less application at degree level relative to a discipline involving more physics or chemistry, or so I seem to hear. These are, however, merely anecdotal pieces of evidence, so I can't really say much more.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ask Sharron Davies
rimstone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nah, it's defo the easier science, nothing wrong with that. A-level wise, i found it much easier than Chem( and maths).
Uni wise, i'm doing Biochem ( i get 2 chem and 2 bio modules a yr )and i can honestly say Bio is easier than Chem. Chem your forced to know a lot of backround knowledge( esp for organic chem, which you build up over time, were as bio you can learn the knowledge and forget most of it ), application and calculations and usually have much more to learn( more material, workshop, lectures and work tbh ). Bio exam are sometimes easier than chem, though i have had one very hard bio exam ( were as all my chem exams have gotten much harder as the years progress; i spent 1-2 weeks revising Bio exam and get 70%+ easy, i spent months on chem and just about get 60%+ ). Bio student also have it much easier than other sciences ( most of em know it as well, Biochemist have it much easier than chemist as well, thanks to the Bio modules ), they do next to no labs and even when we do labs, they NEVER work and are soul crushingly boring.. Bio student don't learn report writing. this doesnt even mention the job market for a straight BIO degree is lacking..
Last edited by rimstone; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.83%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.99%
No I am happy with my course choice (400)
57.06%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (99)
14.12%

Watched Threads