What does this mean? Watch

NavyBitz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
In Macbeth Act 2 scene 2

But wherefore could not I pronoune "Amen"?
I had most need of blessing, and "Amen"
Stuck in my throat.

How would I explain this in a test?
xxlaila03xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I haven't done Macbeth in class or anything but I'm pretty sure he can't say Amen because of the sin he has committed right? Didn't he kill someone or something. He wants God to bless him but God won't let the word Amen come out of his mouth because of him committing such a great sin.
NavyBitz
Rep:
?
Ok what you say about "Methought I heard a voice cry Sleep no more!"
Davy611
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's Macbeth's paranoia. He's terrified about being judged by God and condemned to an eternity of suffering. He's still vaguely human at this point. Soon, after the banquet, he basically gives up and figures he may as well just kill everybody that's in his way: 'I am in blood Stepped in so far that, should I wade no more, Returning were as tedious as go o'er.'
NavyBitz
Rep:
?
Thanks what could I say when Lady Macbeth says 'These deeds must not be thought, after these ways so it will make us mad.'
Davy611
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
She's telling him not to think about what he's done: 'the dead are but as pictures'. Remember she's sacrificed her femininity (and humanity): 'from the crown to the toe topful of direst cruelty.' Of course, this rigid self control is shattered by Act 5 when she goes mad.
(Original post by NavyBitz)
Thanks what could I say when Lady Macbeth says 'These deeds must not be thought, after these ways so it will make us mad.'
NavyBitz
Rep:
?
Ok thanks how is Lady Macbeth and Macbeth presented as guilty charcaters, last question.
Davy611
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
That's a bigger question. That'll be an essay. In fact, this year's OCR examination on 'Macbeth' asked pretty much that: 'How do Lady Macbeth and Macbeth react to the death of King Duncan?' Broadly, Macbeth can't speak coherently, he has hallucinations because his mind is 'full of scorpions' and he decides he's going to kill everyone. Lady Macbeth comes apart in Act 5: hallucinations, sleepwalking, confessions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
14.42%
The paper was reasonable (752)
55.62%
Not feeling great about that exam... (303)
22.41%
It was TERRIBLE (102)
7.54%

Watched Threads