Anonymous_000
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can I get into medicine after getting my results and taking a gao year. So for instance if I get like 3 a’s And take a year out and reapply next year, would they still look at my gcse grades or would they only consider my a level grades and work experience. I dident get the best gcse grades so proabbly will get no offers for medicine but my only hope is after I get my results.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous_000)
Can I get into medicine after getting my results and taking a gao year. So for instance if I get like 3 a’s And take a year out and reapply next year, would they still look at my gcse grades or would they only consider my a level grades and work experience. I dident get the best gcse grades so proabbly will get no offers for medicine but my only hope is after I get my results.
You need to satisfy the requirements either way (https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf).

Just because you have the A-Level or UCAT requirements alone doesn't mean you can bypass the GCSE requirements - especially for undergraduate medicine. Things may be different for graduate entry medicine.

Why are you not retaking your GCSEs to improve them during your gap year?
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
WOuld depend just how bad your GCSEs are. As mentioned, having achieved results does nto bypass GCSE criteria (although alters scoring slightly at some med schools) but there are many med schools who have pretty basic requirements, eg a 6/B in maths and English. If you do not meet these then a resit might be your best option, if you do you need a good UCAT score and there will probably be several med schools you can look at
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
I’ve taken maths and got a 6 with minimal effort and sadly went real down in English so I am still with a 5. I don’t know if I should and would they consider my resists. When I was resisting my main focus was my a levels hence I went down.
(Original post by ecolier)
You need to satisfy the requirements either way (https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf).

Just because you have the A-Level or UCAT requirements alone doesn't mean you can bypass the GCSE requirements - especially for undergraduate medicine. Things may be different for graduate entry medicine.

Why are you not retaking your GCSEs to improve them during your gap year?
Last edited by Anonymous_000; 1 year ago
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
University of Leeds what a minumum of 6 5’s which I have but I don’t know if they’ll want beyond this if I have the right a level grades.
(Original post by GANFYD)
WOuld depend just how bad your GCSEs are. As mentioned, having achieved results does nto bypass GCSE criteria (although alters scoring slightly at some med schools) but there are many med schools who have pretty basic requirements, eg a 6/B in maths and English. If you do not meet these then a resit might be your best option, if you do you need a good UCAT score and there will probably be several med schools you can look at
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
University of Leeds what a minumum of 6 5’s which I have but I don’t know if they’ll want beyond this if I have the right a level grades.
Not a Leeds expert, I'm afraid. My understanding is GCSE’s receive a mark out of 27 for the top 9 subjects; 3 points for A*, 2 points for A, 1 point for B. Secondly predicted/achieved A level grades are marked with 8 points for AAA, 4 points for AAB, 2 points for ABB. Finally, BMAT attracts a maximum of 5 points, based on scores of applicants (top 20% receive 5 points etc). This gives a maximum of 40 points and I believe a score of 36 was required to progress to interview, so A levels cannot really make up for weak GCSEs.
Leicester have guaranteed an interview to those with achieved AAA who meets their minimum requirements, but I think they want a 6 in Maths and English.
Cardiff add A level grade score to GCSE scores but also require a 6 in English and maths.
Aberdeen use predicted/achieved A levels and UCAT to rank and there are extra points for achieved grades.
Exeter uses predicted/achieved A levels put into tiers and, if needed, within each tier they use a UKCAT cut off. The cut off last year was A*AA achieved or A*A*A predicted, I believe.
ARU would accept your GCSEs (based on info you have given) as would Newcastle, Plymouth, QUB (though GCSE scoring is a large part of their selection scoring) and possibly St Andrews (they consider a 5 as a B but are a bit vague on exact GCSE requirements). All apart from QUB are UCAT unis and select for interview purely dependent on UCAT score if you meet minimum requirements.

Many med schools accept GCSE resits and a 6 in English would open a lot more doors, so you must carefully weigh up the unis you will gain with a resit at 6 and those you will lose as they do not accept resits (though if you have already resat, this is a moot point).
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
I got a 5 the first time round but for some reason I got a 3 the second time round. I wasent taking any lessons at the time, and I had a lot of a level work so couldent really focus on the English. What do you suggest, I’m currently in year 12 and I want to find Focus on my a levels. Shall I resist after I have done my a levels? Thanks for the advice btw. Btw my consideration is after getting my results and taking out a gap year to re apply.
Not a Leeds expert, I'm afraid. My understanding is GCSE’s receive a mark out of 27 for the top 9 subjects; 3 points for A*, 2 points for A, 1 point for B. Secondly predicted/achieved A level grades are marked with 8 points for AAA, 4 points for AAB, 2 points for ABB. Finally, BMAT attracts a maximum of 5 points, based on scores of applicants (top 20% receive 5 points etc). This gives a maximum of 40 points and I believe a score of 36 was required to progress to interview, so A levels cannot really make up for weak GCSEs.
Leicester have guaranteed an interview to those with achieved AAA who meets their minimum requirements, but I think they want a 6 in Maths and English.
Cardiff add A level grade score to GCSE scores but also require a 6 in English and maths.
Aberdeen use predicted/achieved A levels and UCAT to rank and there are extra points for achieved grades.
Exeter uses predicted/achieved A levels put into tiers and, if needed, within each tier they use a UKCAT cut off. The cut off last year was A*AA achieved or A*A*A predicted, I believe.
ARU would accept your GCSEs (based on info you have given) as would Newcastle, Plymouth, QUB (though GCSE scoring is a large part of their selection scoring) and possibly St Andrews (they consider a 5 as a B but are a bit vague on exact GCSE requirements). All apart from QUB are UCAT unis and select for interview purely dependent on UCAT score if you meet minimum requirements.

Many med schools accept GCSE resits and a 6 in English would open a lot more doors, so you must carefully weigh up the unis you will gain with a resit at 6 and those you will lose as they do not accept resits (though if you have already resat, this is a moot point).
Last edited by Anonymous_000; 1 year ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a 5 the first time round but for some reason I got a 3 the second time round. I wasent taking any lessons at the time, and I had a lot of a level work so couldent really focus on the English. What do you suggest, I’m currently in year 12 and I want to find Focus on my a levels. Shall I resist after I have done my a levels? Thanks for the advice btw. Btw my consideration is after getting my results and taking out a gap year to re apply.
Hard to say without knowing the rest of your circumstances. If money is not a major issue I would sit the UKCAT this session and do some WE/voluntary work. If you do well in the UCAT with good A level predictions you have Newcastle, Plymouth, ARU, Aberdeen and possibly St Andrews and Exeter you could look at applying to. If you get interviews, great. If not, focus on A levels and get the grades and you have the UCAT and possibly interview experience to build on next year. You can always apply for deferred entry so should you get an offer you will still have your gap year if you want it.

Whether you need to resit English depends a bit on how well you do in your UCAT. A high score gives you at least 4 places you can apply and if your A levels are at least A*AA achieved then Exeter may become an option. If your UCAT is not so good then a resit may be the best option, though again, you would need to check individual GCSE resit policies, some say they must be within 2 years.

If you cannot fund the UCAT this year as well as potentially next, then the first paragraph is ruled out anyway.

Do you have any possible WA flags ot contextual data relating to your school that might mitigate your GCSEs? This can also make a big difference.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
I mean I’m doing both the ukcat and bmat this year just in case it works out for me and I hope to prepare well for the tests. And then my next hope is my a level results. I dident do too well
In English due to bad teaching, and I know you can’t really blame the teacher but oh well. I was quite lazy at the time so it’s kinda my own fault. Iv done some work experience and volenteering and I have two separate placements in summer so that should help with my personal statement.
Hard to say without knowing the rest of your circumstances. If money is not a major issue I would sit the UKCAT this session and do some WE/voluntary work. If you do well in the UCAT with good A level predictions you have Newcastle, Plymouth, ARU, Aberdeen and possibly St Andrews and Exeter you could look at applying to. If you get interviews, great. If not, focus on A levels and get the grades and you have the UCAT and possibly interview experience to build on next year. You can always apply for deferred entry so should you get an offer you will still have your gap year if you want it.

Whether you need to resit English depends a bit on how well you do in your UCAT. A high score gives you at least 4 places you can apply and if your A levels are at least A*AA achieved then Exeter may become an option. If your UCAT is not so good then a resit may be the best option, though again, you would need to check individual GCSE resit policies, some say they must be within 2 years.

If you cannot fund the UCAT this year as well as potentially next, then the first paragraph is ruled out anyway.

Do you have any possible WA flags ot contextual data relating to your school that might mitigate your GCSEs? This can also make a big difference.
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
what advice would you give me based on the information Iv provided above?

GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what advice would you give me based on the information Iv provided above?
The same advice as in my previous post?
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Ok thankyou. Btw is it hard to get into medicine through clearing, I mean if you get the appropriate results?
The same advice as in my previous post?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok thankyou. Btw is it hard to get into medicine through clearing, I mean if you get the appropriate results?
Yes, there are very few, if any, places available in clearing and large numbers of people wanting a place
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Does the unisvristy of Leeds offer places through clearing?
Yes, there are very few, if any, places available in clearing and large numbers of people wanting a place
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does the unisvristy of Leeds offer places through clearing?
I doubt even Leeds know that at this point, except for SGUL who have deliberately saved a few places for clearing in recent years, other unis make more offers than they have places to allow for those who turn them down or do not make their grades. Hence it is a bit of a lottery as to whether the expected number make the cut and if they have too few, they may use clearing, or they may go back to people who were interviewed first time but narrowly missed an offer. I think Leeds tend to use the latter approach, going with those who applied originally but narrowly missed the cut for an offer.
Too many student for their allocated numbers and unis are fined, too few and they are missing tuition fees
Anonymous_000
Rep:
?
Oh ok thank you
I doubt even Leeds know that at this point, except for SGUL who have deliberately saved a few places for clearing in recent years, other unis make more offers than they have places to allow for those who turn them down or do not make their grades. Hence it is a bit of a lottery as to whether the expected number make the cut and if they have too few, they may use clearing, or they may go back to people who were interviewed first time but narrowly missed an offer. I think Leeds tend to use the latter approach, going with those who applied originally but narrowly missed the cut for an offer.
Too many student for their allocated numbers and unis are fined, too few and they are missing tuition fees
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads