SolarEclipse
Badges: 6
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Is there anyone here who took the BPT exam today, and if so how did you find it?

It was awful for me, really focused on my weaker areas 😭
Delilah234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I took the exam today and I honestly can’t say how it went!Head is all over the place!I thought the MBO question was very similar to the Shandy one in the QB but I think I might have read too quickly and messed up. Q1 I had no idea what Sasha was up to hahaWe’ll have to see how it goes
B-Stacks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
found it really hard

Q2 for me i just had no idea what method they wanted us to use
SolarEclipse
The topics that came up were very much my weaker areas so it was pretty much my worst nightmare! Wish the questions had been a bit more broken down as well, it was a lot to digest and then try and structure the answers in a logical way. I got a bit overwhelmed..
(Original post by Delilah234)
I took the exam today and I honestly can’t say how it went!Head is all over the place!I thought the MBO question was very similar to the Shandy one in the QB but I think I might have read too quickly and messed up. Q1 I had no idea what Sasha was up to hahaWe’ll have to see how it goes
SolarEclipse
I'm glad it's not just me!
(Original post by B-Stacks)
found it really hard

Q2 for me i just had no idea what method they wanted us to use
TheTomMontague
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
More ethics than I expected with the PAYE underpayment in question one and the conflict of interest in question 2. Overall, I didn't mind it too much. Maybe I'm in a false state of security though...
Danielh1994
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Was shocked to see two ethics questions in the exam.

Thought the questions all seemed a bit tricky, especially question 1.

Question 2 was probably where I did the best.

Not too sure how I’ve done to be honest!!
Samson21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I found it very tough, and quite limited in what it actually tested! Question 3 I had no idea where to start because I couldn’t understand the point of varying the will when it’s already being passed to a spouse tax fee 🤔.

Does anyone know if the marks are moderated at all? Or is it always 55 raw marks needed to pass?
mrgjt
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Samson21)
I found it very tough, and quite limited in what it actually tested! Question 3 I had no idea where to start because I couldn’t understand the point of varying the will when it’s already being passed to a spouse tax fee 🤔.

Does anyone know if the marks are moderated at all? Or is it always 55 raw marks needed to pass?
I could be wrong, but I think the point was that if he then gifts the shares he's inherited to her he will have a capital gains tax liability. By varying the will, an election can be made to make it effective for CGT purposes too, therefore avoiding any CGT implications. I think this paper was hard and very wordy with limited calculations which came as a surprise.

The 55 mark is a set pass mark, but the mark scheme is flexed (e.g. if a lot of people found a question hard/interpreted it in one way, additional marks will be added and then capped at the maximum for the question). This is why in the question bank you'll often see a 30 mark question that has up to 45 marks available!
Samson21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I see, makes sense. But then gifting the stuff was also pointless I thought because of the reservation of benefit on the house and the BPR on the shares 🤔. Basically everything was going fine until that last question completely rattled me haha
(Original post by mrgjt)
I could be wrong, but I think the point was that if he then gifts the shares he's inherited to her he will have a capital gains tax liability. By varying the will, an election can be made to make it effective for CGT purposes too, therefore avoiding any CGT implications. I think this paper was hard and very wordy with limited calculations which came as a surprise.

The 55 mark is a set pass mark, but the mark scheme is flexed (e.g. if a lot of people found a question hard/interpreted it in one way, additional marks will be added and then capped at the maximum for the question). This is why in the question bank you'll often see a 30 mark question that has up to 45 marks available!
Nstern
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Out of interest did you guys pass? Just did the September bpt sitting and very unsure how it went. Was ridiculously time pressured.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (200)
24.15%
Pop (205)
24.76%
Jazz (33)