Turn on thread page Beta

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Everybody seems to love this movie but I don't see what's so good about it. Was anyone else disappointed in it? In my opinion the acting is amazing but nothing else in the movie is anything special. It's about average imo. Not a bad movie but I don't see why it's regarded as one of the best ever.

ReputationRep:
    I found it really moving. I wouldn't watch it again any time soon, purely for the fact it was so tragic. It was an emotional ride with the characters and how he brought happiness to them all I think than the actual 'action'. It also offers an insight into the institutions back then.

I think it's a good film, but love would be an odd way to describe my feelings for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's making a point about society though, innit, and about how mental institutions were used to repress 'socially unacceptable' characters. Nurse Ratchett (sp?) could be interpreted as a symbol of society enslaving, and restricting the lives of the mental patients. The film also seemed to encompass the idea of mental illness being a myth, as some of the characters, like Billy, didn't really appear to have a mental illness (well, thats how I interpreted it, anyway). There's actually an interesting book about mental illness being a myth, by a guy called Thomas Szasz, which came out around 1961, I think, if anyone's interested.

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with you OP; never understood the big deal about it.

ReputationRep:
    its incredibly moving but I would never watch it again - I only like watching films that leave me happier than before I started watching them

ReputationRep:
    it loses a lot being adapted from the book from what ive seen, havent seen all of it but the book is told from the perspective of bromden the half indian who pretends to be deaf and dumb. the main focus of the book is authority and the suppression of the free spirit and its told with bromdens view of the world and his delusions which i dont think are shown in the film

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed the book more- but then that always happens when I see the film second.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.