Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    All exam boards require you to sit 6 modules for an A2 in Maths (12 total for maths and further maths).
    I'm on WJEC, where the Mechanics and Statistics units are M1-3, S1-3
    However on EDEXCEL, you have M1-5 and S1-4

AND BOTH HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME CONTENT!
    I looked it up, near enough identical specifications, except its spread over 5 units for edexcel, so it looks like you've done more work, and can therefore get further maths much easier!

HOW UNFAIR!
    Right, rant over.

ReputationRep:
    All exam boards require you to sit 6 modules for an A2 in Maths (12 total for maths and further maths).

I looked it up, near enough identical specifications, except its spread over 5 units for edexcel, so it looks like you've done more work, and can therefore get further maths much easier!

HOW UNFAIR!
    Right, rant over.
    its over 9000!

ReputationRep:
    thats what happens when you live in wales :P

ReputationRep:
    They're not that different. I just looked at the WJEC specification, and WJEC M1 is almost identical to Edexcel M1, and WJEC S1 has roughly the same amount (but different) content than Edexcel S1.

If the WJEC spec was unfair as you're suggesting, schools wouldn't do it in the first place.

I've just looked at the spec, and it contains about the same amount of stuff for Mechanics as Edexcel (although different topics). Dunno about statistics, though.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by trance addict)
    thats what happens when you live in wales :P
    Hahah lol :p:

Edexcel exams are much tougher, although the syllabus is the same so don't complain. Your exam will be easier.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if you look at the fp modules though, they would be easier on the welsh board than edexcel
    edexcel FP1 is the mystery challenge as it follows on from c1-4, yet they tried to start it at the same time as c1
    senseless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    Hahah lol :p:

Edexcel exams are much tougher, although the syllabus is the same so don't complain. Your exam will be easier.
    When the difference between exam boards is mentioned on the maths board, the general consensus is that Edexcel is the easiest. I'm certainly finding it easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielJBaker)
    When the difference between exam boards is mentioned on the maths board, the general consensus is that Edexcel is the easiest. I'm certainly finding it easy.
    Yeah well if you had taken M3 today you would have realised that that just isn't true...(unless you're just a crazy maths monkey:p: )
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by DanielJBaker)
    And I'm thinking that you've done the other Exam Boards, right?? Didn't think so. Edexcel have been easy this time round but in general, they are designed to look easier. Take AQA for example. Just the mention of FP1 in Yr 12 makes people think its more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    And I'm thinking that you've done the other Exam Boards, right?? Didn't think so. Edexcel have been easy this time round but in general, they are designed to look easier. Take AQA for example. Just the mention of FP1 in Yr 12 makes people think its more difficult.
    I'm not saying I have. I'm just saying that seems to be the consensus. I might be completely wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joelio36)

HOW UNFAIR!
    Right, rant over.
    At least you dont have to do OCR (not MEI) for Maths. Our papers is much harder than both WJEC, Edexcel, AQA. Getting an A on OCR (not MEI) is a very difficult task as all our papers are much harder than yours.

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised that OCR is the hardest since it's from Cambridge.

I'm not too sure why AQA has separated Further Pure into FP1-4. All the othe exam boards are FP1-3. Although I did all 4 Further Pure modules for AQA, I feel that I am less of an advantage with Mechanics.

Surely FP1-4 in AQA is the same as FP1-3 for the other exam boards?

ReputationRep:
    I do OCR and it really gets to me, I did AQA for AS but moved college and OCR is ridiculously hard compared to AQA (for core 3 and 4 anyway) hmpphh lol

ReputationRep:
    WJEC is one of the hardest exam boards for maths - it is also the crappiest - most schools in wales are now switching from it to AQA/others. My school switched from WJEC to AQA this year, my dads school is changing in september, it also looks like every school in the county is switching to AQA due to consortium arrangements - and the decided it was the eaiest and best board.

You comparer WJEC FP1 to AQA FP1 - there is no comparrison - aqa i so much easier - however i think that the core modules are very easy in wjec, whereas in aqa they require you to think a bit more. Also there are lots of textbooks for aqa whereas there are none for wjec - it is ****e

ReputationRep:
    Not surprised that WJEC is harder than AQA. How about the Northern Irish exam boards CEA? Anyone doing that for Maths? If so, is it as hard as WJEC?

ReputationRep:
    MEI S4. That's where the hard modules are.

Seriously, OCR is harder than the other boards(not OCR MEI), but aqa is easier. They basically split the FP2 module of MEI into 3 different modules.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.