Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just in case anyone who has agreed to this feels unclear or unsure about the paper. As far as I know, you either get it or you don't, and it is a seperate exam to your existing Philosophy & Ethics or Religious Studies course. Advanced Extension Awards are targetted at the top 10%, so even taking part in the exam is probably worth bragging about!

"They will be graded on a two-point scale: Distinction and Merit", and will be based on a single exam. It is 180 minutes long. Yes, that's an exhusting three hours of exam, but from what I've been told, you are given a generous amount of time to read over the passages, which from what I've seen, are fairly short or succinct.

This is a similar paper to the synoptic 'Implications' paper, and you'll be asked to answer two questions, one of which is very closely worded to the question from said paper. The difference is, you won't be expected to have read them previously, and can therefore not revise for this exam. In other words, put it out of your mind until you're taking it. You'll be asked to read the passages, and give a general discussion, and justification for your points.

'Specimin Exam Paper & Mark Scheme' - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/25979.pdf

'Examiner's report: 2007' - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualCon...p_20070809.pdf

(These are PDF's, you'll need Adobe reader or something).

So, anyone else taking these? I've got two on the same day as a gig, and the day after a party I wanted to go to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm also doing it And also have two AEAs on the same day (R.S. and English)!

I'm putting it out of my mind until my proper exams have finished and probably until I've done the History AEA on the 19th. It's just a bit of fun really - if I do well, that's nice, if I don't, it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    Me third. I saw the section 2 questions and it looked like something that I could tackle as it is simlar to what you would be asked in an A2 exam so I decided to do it too
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Does anyone know how we're expected to answer the questions? In the A level exams it was a case of cramming in as many relevant scholars as possible, but the fact that we're unlikely to have studied any of the passages makes me wonder whether this is what's required for the AEA. I read in one post that the examiners want to hear a lot more of our opinions - in the context of some scholars, yes, but not to the extent that we're merely manipulating their views in order to reach a conclusion.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Also, does anyone know where to find past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    Does anyone know how we're expected to answer the questions? In the A level exams it was a case of cramming in as many relevant scholars as possible, but the fact that we're unlikely to have studied any of the passages makes me wonder whether this is what's required for the AEA. I read in one post that the examiners want to hear a lot more of our opinions - in the context of some scholars, yes, but not to the extent that we're merely manipulating their views in order to reach a conclusion.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Also, does anyone know where to find past papers?
    I got some but it is a hard copy but not on the computer sorry. Didn't your school give you some. Trust me some of the things that come up you would have studied. It is a matter of applying what you have studied to the question
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chrisateen)
    Didn't your school give you some.
    No, my school doesn't do AEA preparation. Anything we have to do is off our own backs. Which is fine, because I don't see how you can be taught anything extra for this AEA, but I do need some past papers.

The Edexcel website has examiner reports for 05, 06 and 07 and so it would be really useful to see the corresponding papers. If anyone at all could help me out, I would be unbelievably grateful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    No, my school doesn't do AEA preparation. Anything we have to do is off our own backs. Which is fine, because I don't see how you can be taught anything extra for this AEA, but I do need some past papers.

The Edexcel website has examiner reports for 05, 06 and 07 and so it would be really useful to see the corresponding papers. If anyone at all could help me out, I would be unbelievably grateful.
    Ive got 04-06 on hard copy. If you could tell me what questions you want from the examiners report I may be able to help you.

I know you can't prepare as my school didn't but at least they gave us some past papers sheesh it can be that hard for your school to do the same :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to this. One of the past questions is "The balance of probabilities is that God does not exist". Pleaasssee let there be something like that again!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got an answer for the first section done they could scan and let me read? I did the RS A2 last year and since then I feel like I've forgotten everything! Can you help me, what should I learn? I did philosophy and ethics - I mean, should I learn arguments for and against God's existence? Or...? What would be most useful in a short time that I can learn...bearing in mind I have 4 other AEA's to prepare for and haven't looked at the RS syllabus for over a year. Thanks anyone!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hunibuni)
    Has anyone got an answer for the first section done they could scan and let me read? I did the RS A2 last year and since then I feel like I've forgotten everything! Can you help me, what should I learn? I did philosophy and ethics - I mean, should I learn arguments for and against God's existence? Or...? What would be most useful in a short time that I can learn...bearing in mind I have 4 other AEA's to prepare for and haven't looked at the RS syllabus for over a year. Thanks anyone!!
    Which exam board did you do last year? It might be worth having a look at the AS and A2 syllabus and familiarising yourself with the sort of stuff you learnt last year. If you have a general understanding of each section and knowledge of a decent amount of scholars, you should be okay. As far as I can tell, this exam is much more about forming our own opinions based on scholars, rather than using scholars to analyse everything for us.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I did OCR Philosophy and Ethics...but I was rather minimal about what I learnt - as in if there were 6 topics I'd have done notes on 4...I had to teach myself because it was something I had done outside lessons at GCSE and it didn't fit my A-level timetable. Anyway, thanks for the advice...I'll have a read through...and if anyone could give me a sample answer...of ANY kind! Just to see what to do really, please please please...I'd love you forever! Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to keep posting - can anyone who has more than 1 past paper (I have only got 07!!) tell me if there are any reocurring questions? Or similar themed questions to help me pinpoint my revision a little? Also, the first section, is it always about religions? Because I never stuided any specific ones for A-level and on 07, they all seem to be bible/God's nature based?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    if anyone could give me a sample answer...of ANY kind! Just to see what to do really, please please please...I'd love you forever! Anyone?
    I haven't got a sample answer to offer, but if you don't manage to get one I'd recommend looking at the examiner reports and the specification on the Edexcel website (here: http://www.edexcel.org.uk/quals/aea/9871/ ). There are notes written about lots of past questions, and although it's a bit difficult without the corresponding questions to refer to, it gives you a good idea of how to answer the questions in general.

Also, you mentioned you had a past paper ... it doesn't happen to be in a form you could email to me, does it? I'm going mental trying to find one, these examiner reports would be so much more useful if I could see the questions they refer to.

ReputationRep:
    If you PM me your email, I'll scan it....if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to keep posting - can anyone who has more than 1 past paper (I have only got 07!!) tell me if there are any reocurring questions? Or similar themed questions to help me pinpoint my revision a little? Also, the first section, is it always about religions? Because I never stuided any specific ones for A-level and on 07, they all seem to be bible/God's nature based?
    I have from 04-06 past papers mark scemes e.t.c I will try to find a way to scan them but I can't make any promises (i have to beg my mum to let me use the scanner)

Anyway I also do the OCR phil and ethics. Im going to read up on religious lang (comes up a lot in the section 1 part), scripture (always come up), arguments for the existence of God, ethical theories and psycology and sociology. These are the stuff I recommened

ReputationRep:
    Thank you - that's really useful advice...I don't suppose anyone has notes on religious lang they could send me? I have this awful feeling it was one of those topics I left out!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry...me again! Does anyone know, in part 1, do the questions always ask in part b:

discuss the implications of the passage for understanding religion and human experience?

Because, if so, what does that actually mean??? And so, we should spend about 45 mins on a, 45 on b and 1.5 hrs on part 2? Is this how everyone else is doing it? And how much do you find yourself writing in an essay? Couple of sides...more??

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus said no one comes to the father except through me. If this statement is true then only Christians can achieve salvation. If it is false, then Jesus is listaken., IF he is mistakem, then he is not the son of God. If he is not the So of God, then Christianity is dead.

Analyse the argument and/or the interpretation in the passage above.

The markscheme:

Candidates should offer full knowledge and understanding of the issues set in appropriate context and explored with proificient use of religious language. An analysis may explore the notion of human understanding of divine revelation and the purpoise of religious scripture or text in religious tradition and the relationship between the sacred text and revelation. There may be detailed reference to the nature of religious truth and the ways in which the will and word of God are revealed and interpreted.

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot do this questiom, in fact, I cannot do ANY of the questions on the whole paper. I have already done A2 RS and I got a high A so don't tell me it's impossible for me to do well on this! Please help me understand what to write. I've read the report, I've read the markscheme - they are incomprehensible to me! I do not even have a clue or vague recollection about the topics being mentioned. Give me a bullet point list of what things you might include in YOUR answer! Please. I have so far come up with the argument is weak because it depends on us accepting that the bible is to be taken literally which not all christians believe. Rep for anyone who can help out! I'm panicking soooooooooo much!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Because, if so, what does that actually mean??? And so, we should spend about 45 mins on a, 45 on b and 1.5 hrs on part 2? Is this how everyone else is doing it? And how much do you find yourself writing in an essay? Couple of sides...more??
    It's what it says on the tin, really ... write about implications. For the believer, the non-believer, religious communities, that sort of thing. You basically need to take the first half of your answer and have a think about what this actually means in a practical sense.

As to your most recent post ... don't panic. Nobody will be able to answer all of the questions on the paper; most people will only be able to attempt a few from each section. I can't help you with the question you posted, because I've only done philosophy and ethics, and I'd imagine you're in the same boat. Don't forget that this paper has to fit with all the different specifications of the different boards, so they have to have something for everyone on there. Revise a few topics, the ones you've done before (if you want to read up on language then this might be a good thread to look at), and then just attempt the questions on those topics. If you haven't done NT theology, then don't worry about that question.

ReputationRep:
    But quite literally of the 7 questions that make up section A, I cannot answer even 1! I have no idea why I entered myself for this exam...and my teacher is useless because we've done it before at my school....I even had to order my own past papers!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2008

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.