english language intensive Watch

will_wedmore
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi, so next year Im going to continue on and do A2 english lit at my college but i need another two courses to do along side it. I was thinking on doing an intensive in english language and i was just wondering if it was doable or if anyone had any advice.
HannahLGriffiths
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I’ve just finished English language A level. I think it would be doable in a year, obviously as long as you put the work in. Half of the course is skill based i.e. you analyse random texts in the exam (kinda like GCSE). There is a fair amount of content but nothing compared to other subjects and I wouldn’t say it was that difficult to understand.

The only issue you may have is exam technique because it’s quite specific and a lot of marks come from being able to write in a sophisticated and coherent manner. It takes a while to develop the right wrist style but I think it would be one of the better A levels to do in a year.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
will_wedmore
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Wow thanks for the reply, my English teacher thinks I’ll be fine at it but I’m just worried I won’t be able to handle the work load of that and English lit . I might go for an intensive in sociology as I stand a better chance of getting a good grade in that but I’m just very conflicted between the two.

(Original post by HannahLGriffiths)
I’ve just finished English language A level. I think it would be doable in a year, obviously as long as you put the work in. Half of the course is skill based i.e. you analyse random texts in the exam (kinda like GCSE). There is a fair amount of content but nothing compared to other subjects and I wouldn’t say it was that difficult to understand.

The only issue you may have is exam technique because it’s quite specific and a lot of marks come from being able to write in a sophisticated and coherent manner. It takes a while to develop the right wrist style but I think it would be one of the better A levels to do in a year.
HannahLGriffiths
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by will_wedmore)
Wow thanks for the reply, my English teacher thinks I’ll be fine at it but I’m just worried I won’t be able to handle the work load of that and English lit . I might go for an intensive in sociology as I stand a better chance of getting a good grade in that but I’m just very conflicted between the two.

Ah ok, I actually do sociology as well. It’s always got a rep for being “easy” but I found it way harder than English. There’s a lot more content and some of the theories can be quite confusing. It would be a massive challenge to do in a year
will_wedmore
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Oh my well that’s me even more confused then 😂I do psychologly and assumed it would’ve helped me cope with sociology a bit more so then jumping into English Lang . They both sound intimidating subjects and I just want to make sure I do the one which I’ll get the better grade out of.
Ah ok, I actually do sociology as well. It’s always got a rep for being “easy” but I found it way harder than English. There’s a lot more content and some of the theories can be quite confusing. It would be a massive challenge to do in a year
HannahLGriffiths
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Ah no! If it were me I’d definitely go English just because there’s less content, and you already do an English so you shouldn’t find it too difficult. Also, I’ve got a few friends who do English, sociology and psychology, and say English is more similar to psych than sociology.
will_wedmore
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Ooo I wouldn’t have thought that . This is really turning into a hard decision 😂 I just don’t know what to do. I feel doing English lit and Lang coursework whilst doing As English Lang sounds like a lot to take on but English Lang just sounds more beneficial. Though I imagine I would enjoy sociology more . This decision is too much for me 😂
Ah no! If it were me I’d definitely go English just because there’s less content, and you already do an English so you shouldn’t find it too difficult. Also, I’ve got a few friends who do English, sociology and psychology, and say English is more similar to psych than sociology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (304)
15.18%
The paper was reasonable (1108)
55.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (434)
21.67%
It was TERRIBLE (157)
7.84%

Watched Threads