IS my school allowed to do this? Watch

FailingmyGCSE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I have a week left of gcse to complete. It's been going alright so far. Anyway... my school has continuously given late students extra time after exams. For instance, if a student walks in thirty minutes late, my school provides the student with an additional thirty minutes to catch-up after school. This has encouraged a lot of people in my year to arrive late to most exams. Oddly enough, I thought to receive extra time, the student must have an exceptional excuse. Long story short, is my school allowed to do this? Are all schools this lenient?
Xarao
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
That's very odd.

Let me clarify at what I think you're saying. So at your school, if people come late to an exam e.g. 30 minutes and it finished at 12pm, those students will be given the time that they were late for (in this case 30 minutes) and allowed to finish the exam till 12:30pm?

If so, that's very bizarre. At my school if you was late, you'd be lucky to even get in.
SkaterMater04
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
that is pretty much illegal in terms of exam boards.
Your school should be removed from being an exam centre.
If it happens once for like 5 students, then its fine, but even then, theres a follow up as to why the student was late.
Kinda lucky tho ngl
(Original post by FailingmyGCSE)
I have a week left of gcse to complete. It's been going alright so far. Anyway... my school has continuously given late students extra time after exams. For instance, if a student walks in thirty minutes late, my school provides the student with an additional thirty minutes to catch-up after school. This has encouraged a lot of people in my year to arrive late to most exams. Oddly enough, I thought to receive extra time, the student must have an exceptional excuse. Long story short, is my school allowed to do this? Are all schools this lenient?
emacsrose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
i don't see why not
FailingmyGCSE
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Yep, exactly spot on. Very strange how lenient my school is. I've always thought that lateness is inexcusable. For food tech exam, half of the students didn't show up, so those who showed up late were given an extra hour. I personally believe that a student shows up even a second late, they shouldn't be allowed in the exam hall. But that's just me.
(Original post by Xarao)
That's very odd.

Let me clarify at what I think you're saying. So at your school, if people come late to an exam e.g. 30 minutes and it finished at 12pm, those students will be given the time that they were late for (in this case 30 minutes) and allowed to finish the exam till 12:30pm?

If so, that's very bizarre. At my school if you was late, you'd be lucky to even get in.
SkaterMater04
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
with that kind of comment, i dont even think you can see at all
Its not allowed lol
(Original post by emacsrose)
i don't see why not
emacsrose
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
there are multiple reasons a student can be late that isn't in their hands??? in my opinion they shouldn't not be allowed to take an exam for something that could be out of their control.
(Original post by SkaterMater04)
with that kind of comment, i dont even think you can see at all
Its not allowed lol
kirigiri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
this is permissible, so long as the student turns up within an hour of the exam starting.
i was late (52 mins, lmao) last year to an exam and sat it in normal time, just late.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
They're not getting extra time, they are getting the same amount of time, just starting late. It is what exam centres are meant to do if students don't turn up on time (annoying though that is for everyone esle).
StarWinchester
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
A girl in my english exam arrived 5 minutes late so had 5 minutes after we left. She didn't get extra time; she had the same amount of time as we did and was at no advantage because it's not like anyone was able to tell her what was in the exam. I don't know if its allowed or not but i don't think it's giving anyone an advantage so it isn't "extra time"
meipwrk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Compost)
They're not getting extra time, they are getting the same amount of time, just starting late. It is what exam centres are meant to do if students don't turn up on time (annoying though that is for everyone esle).
why is that annoying for you? I don't even realise when ppl enter exams late bc I'm absorbed in my own paper
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jyro
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This does seem quite odd. Maybe these people take a bus to school and it arrives late maybe? Do you know if these people take a bus to school? - if they take the bus being late may be out of their control. However, if people are deliberately being truant in order to recieve extra time, this is very wrong.

Why are people even doing it? They get the same amount of time to do the paper either way
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Your school can tbh, like it can be done at their discretion. Sometimes they may, sometimes they may not.
I don't see the harm if it isn't effecting their exam performance- i.e. is it allowing them to cheat or anything?
I believe they should have a good excuse as to why they are late though and only occasionally- shouldn't be a common occurence
TngHic
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How are the students treated? by the way you phrased it it sounds like they finish at the exact same time and return AFTER school to do the rest. Which is weird? Surely they'd stay in the exam hall an extra 30 mins rather than leave and return later.

But let's assume you are correct. Do the students get put in isolation all day? If not they can discuss answers and effectively cheat the tests which is illegal, your schools entire GCSE qualifications could and WILL get disqualified (leaving you all without results) if this is discovered by the exam board. Exam boards don't even need proof to disqualify them all, take it from me tho, I won't discuss the finer details but we were forced to re-sit an exam because our originals were disqualified for the answers being too similar rendering them suspicious. aside from maths and english language you wouldn't get a re-sit for any others.

Furthermore the moment a test is complete exam papers should be checked, sealed and sent to the exam board immediately (unless there's exam clashes etc) so i dont know what ur school is playing at m8

also it breaches regulations if a student leaves an exam hall mid-test. If a student leaves the examination hall without permission and guidance (i.e going to the toilet) they won't be allowed to re-enter due to the fact they could've googled on their phone etc. So there's a whole lot of wrongs here and not much right
StarWinchester
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I assume the OP meant they just stayed an extra 30 mins after the exam whilst everyone as had left, not gone out and come back in, as this has happened quite a few times at my school too. Obviously if they left and came back in, that would be such a breach of the rules.
(Original post by TngHic)
How are the students treated? by the way you phrased it it sounds like they finish at the exact same time and return AFTER school to do the rest. Which is weird? Surely they'd stay in the exam hall an extra 30 mins rather than leave and return later.

But let's assume you are correct. Do the students get put in isolation all day? If not they can discuss answers and effectively cheat the tests which is illegal, your schools entire GCSE qualifications could and WILL get disqualified (leaving you all without results) if this is discovered by the exam board. Exam boards don't even need proof to disqualify them all, take it from me tho, I won't discuss the finer details but we were forced to re-sit an exam because our originals were disqualified for the answers being too similar rendering them suspicious. aside from maths and english language you wouldn't get a re-sit for any others.

Furthermore the moment a test is complete exam papers should be checked, sealed and sent to the exam board immediately (unless there's exam clashes etc) so i dont know what ur school is playing at m8

also it breaches regulations if a student leaves an exam hall mid-test. If a student leaves the examination hall without permission and guidance (i.e going to the toilet) they won't be allowed to re-enter due to the fact they could've googled on their phone etc. So there's a whole lot of wrongs here and not much right
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
This happens in my school but they don't get "extra" time - only the time they missed. Pupils don't need to give a particular excuse - I woke up late or the traffic was bad will suffice. After all, schools get judged on results too so it is in their own interests to help pupils do their best (within the rules).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (286)
15.18%
The paper was reasonable (1045)
55.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (408)
21.66%
It was TERRIBLE (145)
7.7%

Watched Threads