The Student Room Group

Lost GCSE Certificate

Evening,

I took my GCSE English exam in 1990 and have lost my certificate. My year was the last year to do 100% course work. I have tried contacting my school and they only hold records for 20 years. I was advised to contact the local borough which I did and they were no help. I looked on Ofqual website and they told me to contact each examination board. I don't know the board.

The thing this, it's £49 per application and You only pay half IF they were not the right board. However, you have to pay the £49 first.

Please help!!!

Thanks

Imaan
Reply 1
The real question is, why do you need your certificate after 20 years down the line?
Reply 2
I'm applying for my QTLS and you need a Level 2 in English. I meet that requirement as I have a B for English Language and B for English Literature. I just need the proof. Silly as I have a degree in English and History along with a PGCert in Dyslexia and SpLD. But hey, that's what they want.
Reply 3
If you're in contact with anyone from your school days you could ask them what board their certificates are with.
Reply 4
I've tried that.
Original post by Compost
If you're in contact with anyone from your school days you could ask them what board their certificates are with.
Reply 5
Original post by Imaan Karim
I've tried that.

Can't you dispute against the people that said you need your certificate of your GCSE?

I find it plain stupid how you're being asked to show proof of a qualification you did twenty years ago AND in something that you have achieved in a far higher level (degree-level) but for some bizarre reason they can't accept that?
You could just take GCSE English again youd just have to turn up since you have a degree in English and history so it should be straightforward
Reply 7
I don't have time now. I teach full-time and the course finishes end of June.
Original post by Afterlife?
You could just take GCSE English again youd just have to turn up since you have a degree in English and history so it should be straightforward
Reply 8
You would think that my degree and PGCert would count for something but it doesn't. That is there requirement. The course also finishes end of June. I might consider it though.
Original post by Xarao
Can't you dispute against the people that said you need your certificate of your GCSE?

I find it plain stupid how you're being asked to show proof of a qualification you did twenty years ago AND in something that you have achieved in a far higher level (degree-level) but for some bizarre reason they can't accept that?
Reply 9
I'm afraid it's standard practice that they want to see your GCSEs in Maths, English (and a Science I think). You're probably going to have to pick the most likely board and start from there. There used to lots of boards there were fairly regional but they've amalgamated into 3 in England so it's not as though there's a massive choice. Where abouts did you do your GCSEs?

Quick Reply

Latest