The Student Room Group

What should I get for my first car?

Turing 17 in September but I can't decide on what car to get. Thinking of buying a 2012 Abarth 500 or a 2016 BMW 1 series

Scroll to see replies

Depends on your budget. Take into account fuel economy and insurance too.
Original post by M-Loose
Turing 17 in September but I can't decide on what car to get. Thinking of buying a 2012 Abarth 500 or a 2016 BMW 1 series
I'd focus on getting a license before getting a car but it's up to you
Reply 3
Already got my provisional my brudda, Theorys gonna be light n the practicals calm cah Ive been driving since about 11
Original post by asdfghjkl47
I'd focus on getting a license before getting a car but it's up to you
i have a nissan micra that i will sell for 200pounds
Fair enough, I'm 18 soon and haven't even filled out the provisional form. I thought I'd 'prioritise a levels' even though they've gone to ****.
Original post by M-Loose
Already got my provisional my brudda, Theorys gonna be light n the practicals calm cah Ive been driving since about 11
Reply 6
Nahhh g dont do micras g. Tryna get a good car hence why im looking between those 2 cars
Original post by Hugh.Jazz
i have a nissan micra that i will sell for 200pounds
rah g, bmw be costing u like 2k
Original post by M-Loose
Nahhh g dont do micras g. Tryna get a good car hence why im looking between those 2 cars
Reply 8
I got the money covered that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm a pakistani thats been brought up wiv performance cars, I don't think fuel economy matters😂
Depends on your budget. Take into account fuel economy and insurance too.
Original post by M-Loose

Why don't you buy something second hand that barely passed MOT? It would be much cheaper to wreck.
I'm half pakistani so one side is like mercedes and audi and the other is citroen so I'm split haha
Original post by M-Loose
I got the money covered that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm a paki thats been brought up wiv performance cars, I don't think fuel economy matters😂
get ford festa first ur choice x
I'm half paki so one side is like mercedes and audi and the other is citroen so I'm split haha

Take a look at the Citroen ds3 dsport plus. It’s a small 1.6l engine but with 155bhp thp (turbo high pressure) engine. You can easily keep up with the A3s and golfs. If you need more power you can get it up to 200bhp from a remap but if you have the money you can buy the ds3r which comes with really nice bucket seats and 202bhp so it’s pretty nippy for a french car
Original post by M-Loose

defiantly the BMW 1 series although it may be a expensive starter car you would look pretty dope in it
Sounds good but a 1.6l sporty car would be pushing the insurance way up I'd imagine (I doubt I have the same money to spend as the OP). I think Jeremy drove that in top gear once upon a time and I remember quite liking it.
From what I know of French cars though is that they're not necessarily as reliable as German or Japanese cars. Something like the Mazda RX-8 would be great but it has a rotary engine and those use up more oil and are more susceptible to engine failure.
I think I'll just walk and take the train for now :biggrin:
Original post by classic3296
Take a look at the Citroen ds3 dsport plus. It’s a small 1.6l engine but with 155bhp thp (turbo high pressure) engine. You can easily keep up with the A3s and golfs. If you need more power you can get it up to 200bhp from a remap but if you have the money you can buy the ds3r which comes with really nice bucket seats and 202bhp so it’s pretty nippy for a french car
Sounds good but a 1.6l sporty car would be pushing the insurance way up I'd imagine (I doubt I have the same money to spend as the OP). I think Jeremy drove that in top gear once upon a time and I remember quite liking it.
From what I know of French cars though is that they're not necessarily as reliable as German or Japanese cars. Something like the Mazda RX-8 would be great but it has a rotary engine and those use up more oil and are more susceptible to engine failure.
I think I'll just walk and take the train for now :biggrin:

Not really. I’m assuming it’ll be your first car so depending on your age you’ll either get told no or ok cool but pay 3k for it. I got a quote for 3.5k on it with black box but it depends on your own circumstances.

Check out the Yaris t sport 1.5 vvt. It’s cheap to buy £600 for high mileage models and £1500 for low mileage ones. My insurance on the Yaris is on par with the 1.0 aygo so it’s worth a try. It’s pretty fast for what it is and you can put up a good fight against 2.0l cars because it is 100bhp and weighs less than a ton.

The RX8 would be a dream first car to get but you have to have either big pockets or mechanic friends to run it properly. A rebuild could cost you something like 5K but they are pretty cheap to buy. French cars are ok up to 100k but that’s when things start to fall apart. If you keep up with the maintenance you could hit 200k but they are a pain to work on. For example to change the headlight on a megane, you need to stick your arm blindly through a panel in the wheel well and reach all the way to the headlight to unscrew and replace the bulb.

Other cars you can look at are the
MG ZR 1.4 104(bhp)
Renault twingo renaultsport
Fiesta zetec s
Mx5 mk2
Citroen c2 vts
Ford sportka
Mitsubishi colt czt or ralliart
Toyota mR2 mk3

These are all under insurance group 20 so you should be able to get insured on them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
I'm half paki so one side is like mercedes and audi and the other is citroen so I'm split haha

My brudda😂💯
Reply 17
Original post by Amnz_02
get ford festa first ur choice x

I mean a stock Ford Fiesta is kinda slow for me still looool, I’ll rather go for something wiv wayyyy more power ygm🔥🔥🔥
Get a nissan sunny 2012 or 13 version....It actually has a good pick up as I had it once upon a time.
Original post by M-Loose
I mean a stock Ford Fiesta is kinda slow for me still looool, I’ll rather go for something wiv wayyyy more power ygm🔥🔥🔥
Reply 19
Original post by will brace
defiantly the BMW 1 series although it may be a expensive starter car you would look pretty dope in it

Yh the cars about 11k and insurance quote I got was around 4.5k

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending