Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to install this onto my XP laptop, (it's a Mac Transformation Kit, description is at the bottom of the post), but then when I opened the file I'd downloaded and read a bit of the Read Me, I got a bit scared. Now I don't really understand what it's on about, so I'd like somebody to take a lot at it if they can, and tell me if it basically means that if I install in and then don't want it anymore, I'm ****ed?

The file's attatched. Thanks everyone

Here's the description of it:
    FlyakiteOSX is a transformation pack. It will transform the look of an ordinary Windows XP+ system to resemble the look of Mac OS X. The installer simply automates the process of replacing critical system files, setting registry tweaks, and installing extras such as cursors, sounds, visual styles, etc. FlyakiteOSX DOES NOT contain any spyware or ad-ware of any kind. All files needed for FlyakiteOSX are stored in the Windows directory in a folder named 'FlyakiteOSX' that is hidden by default. All registry values for FlyakiteOSX are written to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Flya kiteOSX.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: txt README FIRST!.txt (8.4 KB, 179 views)
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    It looks like the whole thing can be uninstalled just like a normal program, through the control panel. Looks safe, I've used a Vista Transformation Pack before (not the same developer though) and had no problems, though you should always be careful when dealing things that change the registry.

I'd say it's safe, wait for other people's opinions though, and if you go ahead with it make sure you set a restore point manually before doing so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcok)
    I was just about to install this onto my XP laptop, (it's a Mac Transformation Kit, description is at the bottom of the post), but then when I opened the file I'd downloaded and read a bit of the Read Me, I got a bit scared. Now I don't really understand what it's on about, so I'd like somebody to take a lot at it if they can, and tell me if it basically means that if I install in and then don't want it anymore, I'm ****ed?

The file's attatched. Thanks everyone

Here's the description of it:
    I've just had a quick google and it does not flag up any virus issues with it. *Should* be okay.

ReputationRep:
    So you both think I can just simply uninstall it and go back to normal settings if this doesn't work?

And how do I make a manual restore point?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    So you both think I can just simply uninstall it and go back to normal settings if this doesn't work?
    Yep. From the FAQ, "Removing the software pack is as easy as 123. Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Add or Remove Progams and find FlyakiteOSX. Click on Remove and follow the instructions."

(Original post by pcok)
    And how do I make a manual restore point?
    Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. This is also how you restore your computer if something goes wrong

Everything should be fine, but don't do anything you're not 100% comfortable with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secretmessages)
    Yep. From the FAQ, "Removing the software pack is as easy as 123. Go to Start Menu > Control Panel > Add or Remove Progams and find FlyakiteOSX. Click on Remove and follow the instructions."

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. This is also how you restore your computer if something goes wrong

Everything should be fine, but don't do anything you're not 100% comfortable with.
    Ahh many thanks! Well I really want it to look like a Mac and atm I'm quite tempted to buy one, with the money I've been saving up for uni, so if this stops me doing that it's got to be worth it lol.

So this system restore, could I just restore it whenever I want? Like say I download loads of stuff (like icons and random stuff to change the desktop and general appearance, as I have been doing a lot recently, trying to find something nice), and some of it ends up f---ing my laptop up, I can just do a system restore? Or is it only for when something's seriously wrong?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    Ahh many thanks! Well I really want it to look like a Mac and atm I'm quite tempted to buy one, with the money I've been saving up for uni, so if this stops me doing that it's got to be worth it lol.

So this system restore, could I just restore it whenever I want? Like say I download loads of stuff (like icons and random stuff to change the desktop and general appearance, as I have been doing a lot recently, trying to find something nice), and some of it ends up f---ing my laptop up, I can just do a system restore? Or is it only for when something's seriously wrong?
    System restore basically rolls back all changes made to the registry, system files, installed programs etc, whilst not affecting your documents. So, any documents that you write since creating a restore point won't disappear if you have to rollback It can be used whenever, serious or not-so-serious, and the only time it can't be used is if Windows won't boot at all (and even then I think it's possible to access it via the boot-menu), so yeah, it's fine

ReputationRep:
    System restore basically rolls back all changes made to the registry, system files, installed programs etc, whilst not affecting your documents. So, any documents that you write since creating a restore point won't disappear if you have to rollback It can be used whenever, serious or not-so-serious, and the only time it can't be used is if Windows won't boot at all (and even then I think it's possible to access it via the boot-menu), so yeah, it's fine
    Oh right that's good to know. How do you load it up, some F key during boot up I'd imagine?
    Bold bit: Well that explains why when my computer wouldn't load and it kept giving me options (safe mode, system restore etc), system restore wouldn't work! I had to completely reset the whole system :mad:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    Oh right that's good to know. How do you load it up, some F key during boot up I'd imagine?
    Bold bit: Well that explains why when my computer wouldn't load and it kept giving me options (safe mode, system restore etc), system restore wouldn't work! I had to completely reset the whole system :mad:
    Aww no, I hate having to start from scratch Usually it's F8 (but it sometimes does differ). If safe mode worked, then you could run system restore from there instead. If it didn't, then choosing "last known good configuration" from the F8 boot menu is the equivalent of restoring your computer to the last restore point created.

ReputationRep:
    Aww no, I hate having to start from scratch Usually it's F8 (but it sometimes does differ). If safe mode worked, then you could run system restore from there instead. If it didn't, then choosing "last known good configuration" from the F8 boot menu is the equivalent of restoring your computer to the last restore point created.
    Well it's happened to my twice before, and none of them worked!! There's an inbuilt thing for Acer (yes Acer!), so you can just go back to what it was like when you bought it (although it was different to when I bought it which was a bit wierd lol), without a CD or anything, but yeah I had to go back to the beginning!

Right I'm just installing it now and it's got a list of stuff I can install, which includes a load of stuff in System Files...you reckon that's ok?

Although I guess if it isn't I can just do a system restore lol. It's just that I didn't realise it was ok to really mess with the system files.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    Well it's happened to my twice before, and none of them worked!! There's an inbuilt thing for Acer (yes Acer!), so you can just go back to what it was like when you bought it (although it was different to when I bought it which was a bit wierd lol), without a CD or anything, but yeah I had to go back to the beginning!

Right I'm just installing it now and it's got a list of stuff I can install, which includes a load of stuff in System Files...you reckon that's ok?

Although I guess if it isn't I can just do a system restore lol. It's just that I didn't realise it was ok to really mess with the system files.
    Generally speaking, don't mess with system files. But this program looks as if it knows what it's doing, so it should be fine yeah System restore should fix everything if it screws up!

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, don't mess with system files. But this program looks as if it knows what it's doing, so it should be fine yeah System restore should fix everything if it screws up!
    Ok thanks you have assured me! I shall go and install it now and report back on my new "Mac" :cool:
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    Ok thanks you have assured me! I shall go and install it now and report back on my new "Mac" :cool:
    Good luck
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It looks like the whole thing can be uninstalled just like a normal program, through the control panel. Looks safe, I've used a Vista Transformation Pack before (not the same developer though) and had no problems, though you should always be careful when dealing things that change the registry.

I'd say it's safe, wait for other people's opinions though, and if you go ahead with it make sure you set a restore point manually before doing so
    For what it's worth: sure, the registry is delicate in places, but practically anything you install or any setting you change will change the registry in some minor way.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    For what it's worth: sure, the registry is delicate in places, but practically anything you install or any setting you change will change the registry in some minor way.
    Yeah, that's true. I suppose programs like this do it in a major way, that's all

ReputationRep:
    The Mac Transformation Pack is good - I used to use it. It's not as good as the real deal, though, (he said, writing from his work at an Apple Premium Reseller)

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.