Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that there have already been many threads comparing Manchester Business School and Warwick Business School.

I had the choice between both of them and I decided to go for MBS due to the many good rankings this school has:

MBA - 22nd in the World and 10th in Europe (much better ranking then WBS)
    Doctorial Programm - 1st in the World
    International Experience - 11th in the world
    and much more...

Unfortunately I didn't really find UNDERGRAD RANKINGS to compare those schools and many students posted in different forums that WBS is much better... even though the recent rankings show the opposite.

Could the reason for this maybe be that MBS didn't have a high ranking in the past (and people just concentrate on the old rankings :confused: ) and is now becoming better every year (maybe due to the "big merger"?)?

I would like to know if there is a great difference for undergrad students when they study at MBS or WBS. Hope someone can help me out.

I just want to be sure that I didn't make a mistake by chossing MBS and not WBS. :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/...x=28&y=8&sub=3

Here you are The Times 2008 rankings. You can't compare Business Schools but subjects - the given one compares Business Studies' programmes.

So it all depends, what you want to study. Personally, I'd choose Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!
    i want to study management or accounting and finance

ReputationRep:
    Warwick Business School is better than MBS for your program choice. For MBA, I would say they are on par.

ReputationRep:
    And why is Warwick better? Is the teaching quality better or are there other reasons?

ReputationRep:
    WBS has more academic prestige than has MBS, in general. It is a very well respected business school amongst employers, scholars and academicians locally or internationally.

As to the rigour, i can't say anything about that. but when it comes to business school, the school's prestige is more important than the rigour of the program.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe you are right. I don't really know. I think it's quite hard to compare (besides the current prestige) which school gives you more benefit overall. It also depends on your achievements and they are both very good schools anyway. I just found a global ranking of the MBA:

Manchester: 22nd
    Warwick: 29th

Link: http://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings

And I also found many other good statements which had let me thought that MBS would be the better choice:

The survey also shows that 95% of our MBA students were in employment three months after graduating, with MBS 10th in the world and 2nd in the UK for career progress.
    The most recent Forbes survey, which ranks business schools on their "return on investment" via a survey of alumni salaries, ranks MBS 2nd in the UK and 3rd among non-US schools.

On the other side there are also many rankings which rely on questioning the students. And in those rankings WBS is a bit better. But I wonder if those surveys are really meaningful.

ReputationRep:
    The FT ranking has very little value in the US. It has a lot of highly questionable ranking results. For example, Yale was ranked higher than both Kellogg and Haas were. I don't question Yale being excellent for business, but it couldn't be better than either Berkeley-Haas or Northwestern-Kellogg. And look, who would really think that Berkeley-Haas is just number 32 when it's supposedly one of the best business schools on earth? I know Warwick Business School (WBS) is a great business school, but it sure is not as great as Berkeley-Haas is. Haas grads are much better paid; more sought-after by top employers and do generally have better pre-MBA qualifications than WBS grads do. Haas is also a much better environment, has better faculty, has better program and has better name recognition. But for FT, Warwick is better than Haas is. It's unbelivable.

As to your observation about Manchester, I think they're mostly true. I think MBS has got a great reputation amongst employers and has got a global appeal too. But much of that is due to its great MBA program which is one of the oldest MBA in the UK or Europe. But as to how much of that would drift to its undergrad level, I don't really know.

Overall, I can really say that if you're looking for the better undergrad school between WBS and MBS, I would say WBS has got the edge. For MBA, they're about the same. In that case, look for fit. Better yet, talk to their alumni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILIGAN)
    Overall, I can really say that if you're looking for the better undergrad school between WBS and MBS, I would say WBS has got the edge. For MBA, they're about the same. In that case, look for fit. Better yet, talk to their alumni.
    Off-topic:
    I've seen you in the whole spectrum of subjects here on TSR - Take it Politics, Economics and now Business. Just wonder, what are your academic intentions or, where have you studied earlier?

ReputationRep:
    ^ The answer is in your PM box

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.