Appeal a grade - do I have grounds? Any advice would be appreciated Watch

Mootoyou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Okay, I understand I sound a little bit entitled here. I normally would not consider taking a grade to an appeal, I agree that you shouldn't appeal a grade just because you don't agree with it. However, this is a case where I feel like the work I got was very poorly marked.

To start from the beginning, I do a course on animation and visual effects. I have just received my marks for my final year project. Without wanting to go into too much detail I made two character models. On top of these models I had to do a report and present my work in a viva. I worked very hard and I personally think I produced work that was of a very good standard. Even despite suffering a knee dislocation and depression, I still tried to work at my hardest.

I got my results back last week and I got a 67%, I know that is technically a really good grade however there's a few things that have very much confused and upset me about this. Firstly, even though my attendance suffered as a result of my knee injury, I did try to ask advice from my supervisor. He is very notorious for not responding to emails and very hard to get in touch with. However when I would meet him, he would say that certain things about it needing changing, of which I would change and he would say they looked better.

However the main thing that really confused me and upset me is that the feedback doesn't reflect the grade. In the feedback he says the result is excellent and is very aesthetically appealing. He criticises that the report is 'too long', when it is in fact 3,700 words out of a 4,000 word limit. I also made a point to cover everything in the report he asked me to cover (target audience, time constraints etc) and he also mentioned that I missed out reference, which is just simply not true. He claimed I skipped the reference for something that had no real source and was just something out of my own head. Every website, book and source I looked at to help me write this report was fully referenced.

The main point I'm trying to get across is the feedback, while brief was very positive. The complaints were scarce and quite nitpicky, as well as confusing and in my opinion incorrect. I even exceeded a few things I said I was going to do in my proposal, which is said to get you a lot more marks. Also I can't help but compare to a couple of other students, of whom got better marks than me despite their work being of a much lower standard. I'm aware this subject is subjective and it does sound a little bit up myself (I in no way think my work is amazing, just so you know). It does admittedly make me feel very cheated. My overall provisional mark for the degree is 69.5, which is extremely borderline for a first. I know in some unis they round up but this is so close it could really go either way. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a scholarship for postgraduate study wasn't at risk here. Getting just a couple of marks more is really all it would take to solidify this scholarship.

The issues I have with appealing are I actually like the person who marked it. He's a really nice person and he did seem to like my project. I don't really want to go making an enemy out of the tutors here. I have one of the tutors as a job reference and I'm worried if I do this I may be burning a few bridges. I don't like questioning people's work and I don't want to make it seem like I'm accusing them of being bad at their job. I don't really think that. But I do think that this project was a little unfairly graded.

So what I'm asking is - do you think I have grounds for an appeal? Has anyone appealed a grade before and if so, how did it go and what was the process? If I do appeal, could I be worse off because of it?

Thanks a lot. Sorry for the TL;DR
Last edited by Mootoyou; 2 weeks ago
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mootoyou)
Okay, I understand I sound a little bit entitled here. I normally would not consider taking a grade to an appeal, I agree that you shouldn't appeal a grade just because you don't agree with it. However, this is a case where I feel like the work I got was very poorly marked.

To start from the beginning, I do a course on animation and visual effects. I have just received my marks for my final year project. Without wanting to go into too much detail I made two character models. On top of these models I had to do a report and present my work in a viva. I worked very hard and I personally think I produced work that was of a very good standard. Even despite suffering a knee dislocation and depression, I still tried to work at my hardest.

I got my results back last week and I got a 67%, I know that is technically a really good grade however there's a few things that have very much confused and upset me about this. Firstly, even though my attendance suffered as a result of my knee injury, I did try to ask advice from my supervisor. He is very notorious for not responding to emails and very hard to get in touch with. However when I would meet him, he would say that certain things about it needing changing, of which I would change and he would say they looked better.

However the main thing that really confused me and upset me is that the feedback doesn't reflect the grade. In the feedback he says the result is excellent and is very aesthetically appealing. He criticises that the report is 'too long', when it is in fact 3,700 words out of a 4,000 word limit. I also made a point to cover everything in the report he asked me to cover (target audience, time constraints etc) and he also mentioned that I missed out reference, which is just simply not true. He claimed I skipped the reference for something that had no real source and was just something out of my own head. Every website, book and source I looked at to help me write this report was fully referenced.

The main point I'm trying to get across is the feedback, while brief was very positive. The complaints were scarce and quite nitpicky, as well as confusing and in my opinion incorrect. I even exceeded a few things I said I was going to do in my proposal, which is said to get you a lot more marks. Also I can't help but compare to a couple of other students, of whom got better marks than me despite their work being of a much lower standard. I'm aware this subject is subjective and it does sound a little bit up myself (I in no way think my work is amazing, just so you know). It does admittedly make me feel very cheated. My overall provisional mark for the degree is 69.5, which is extremely borderline for a first. I know in some unis they round up but this is so close it could really go either way. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a scholarship for postgraduate study wasn't at risk here. Getting just a couple of marks more is really all it would take to solidify this scholarship.

The issues I have with appealing are I actually like the person who marked it. He's a really nice person and he did seem to like my project. I don't really want to go making an enemy out of the tutors here. I have one of the tutors as a job reference and I'm worried if I do this I may be burning a few bridges. I don't like questioning people's work and I don't want to make it seem like I'm accusing them of being bad at their job. I don't really think that. But I do think that this project was a little unfairly graded.

So what I'm asking is - do you think I have grounds for an appeal? Has anyone appealed a grade before and if so, how did it go and what was the process? If I do appeal, could I be worse off because of it?

if you appeal then they would likely getting the marking moderated so it could go either way. Do you know of any other people in your course that had issues with the tutors marking?
Mootoyou
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do know one person that was annoyed by his marking, he was supervisor to 8 students
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I do know one person that was annoyed by his marking, he was supervisor to 8 students
speak to them and see if they had the same issues, if so then it could perhaps be worth an appeal
University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I would be very cautious about this. As one person has already said, the mark could do down as well as up. I believe the second marker gives a grade and you are then awarded the midpoint between the grades. So if the second marker gave it 69, you'd get 68 etc. But I think remarks are unpopular and unlikely to endear you to anybody, especially if there hasn't been a massive slip-up, which it sounds like there hasn't. I would first try to find out definitively whether your university rounds up borderline grades. You should be able to get this information easily enough. If they do, you're in a good position. If they don't, and you're sure this grade means you're not going to get a first, go and speak to the marker and explain your thinking.

Good luck,

Gabriel, Postgrad Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads