Have your say: Pupils given ‘plagiarised’ question in GCSE Maths exam Watch

shooks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Here's where you can post a comment about our Pupils given ‘plagiarised’ question in GCSE Maths exam article.

Read the full Pupils given ‘plagiarised’ question in GCSE Maths exam article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
Marcusmaths
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I thought that it was unfair to give a question that was meant for the a furthermaths student, furthermaths students normally get 9s and 8s at gcse and so why are students who simply want 6s ir 5s being givena furthef maths question. I understand that the end if the paper is meant to challenge the higher graded students but to give a question which was from a-level furthermaths textbook was going too far.
katiexcameron
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Marcusmaths)
I thought that it was unfair to give a question that was meant for the a furthermaths student, furthermaths students normally get 9s and 8s at gcse and so why are students who simply want 6s ir 5s being givena furthef maths question. I understand that the end if the paper is meant to challenge the higher graded students but to give a question which was from a-level furthermaths textbook was going too far.
It was from a GCSE further maths textbook and the difficulty didn’t really go beyond higher level GCSE questions (I for one found it easier than a lot of other questions on the same exam that this question was on), and didn’t need any content that wasn’t already covered by GCSE.

The main issue for me is that Edexcel just... took the question right out of an AQA textbook. I have the book the question was taken from so could check that it was the exact same question, and that just seems wrong to me. Edexcel should be writing their own questions from their own spec. Stuff like this really makes me lose faith in the exam boards :/
jenn1946
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it was a stupid thing to do! Why couldn't they have made their own questions? The whole country might have done that question before the exam. But, to be fair there are always going to be similarities between papers and revision questions.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It may just be an unfortunate accident but this should have been checked before we all sat it.
xxlaila03xx
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I wish I did Edexcel now
They'll probably lower your grade boundaries or something
sh.hr
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Marcusmaths)
It is part of the gcse maths spec
NetNeutrality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i'm just here like cant relate cus i do ocr lmao
_azeem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i think i was just a bit annoyed coz if anyone happened to do further maths and remembered that question they'd get a marks advantage just because they did further maths
GreenCub
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Although there is an issue with plagiarism which AQA should follow up, I don't see how this question would actually lead to any students gaining a measurable advantage over others. The chances that a student would have done that question from the textbook and remembered the exact answers for use in the exam are negligible. When was the last time you remembered the exact details of a random question from a textbook that you probably did months ago?

I realise that there was evidently enough similarity for students in the exam to recognise the question, but I highly doubt it actually had much effect at all. The difference in quality of education between schools is going to give some students far more of an 'advantage' than this one question that hardly anyone would have accurately remembered.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Let’s be honest, it would have had next to no impact.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Honestly who cares? Many exam questions are very similar to questions on the workbooks, so students doing them deserve the marks they get as they clearly worked
Turtlebunny
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
As a university student reading this - it's totally fair. I imagine the question didn't require any knowledge beyond GCSE (i.e. it was in a f. Maths textbook but doesn't need further maths knowledge, just stretches the higher ability students). And that's fine. Exam boards, professors, everyone - reuses questions all of the time. Our professors at uni strip questions straight out of recommended textbooks for the course. If you're lucky enough to have done the question before, then great, if not, then just give it your best shot. That's exams! It's like the whole fuss with the calorie question I saw. The exam board did nothing wrong - because some people are sensitive about that doesn't mean they were doing something wrong; it was just a maths context in question. I think with social media and all the pressure of exams it is easy to find things to complain about and stress about at this time of hear. Heck, I still do it - either way my best advice would be to just do the exam, do your best, and move on!
RickHendricks
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
edexcel did similar to the a-level too.
They have ****ed up bad this year LOL
_azeem
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, I get it may not really appear as that big of a deal, it was 5 marks, it wasn't a difficult question, however the fact that this is coming from a maths GCSE paper, that an entire population of 15-16 year old sat, it shows the laziness of the exam board. I've been preparing for the past two years to sit this, and they can't even be asked to write their own question, change one detail from a question. On top of this, although the likelihood seems small, a student may have done the exact question before, leading to inequalities in outcome of the grade boundaries, and considering the fact an entire population of 15-16 year olds sit this exam, this chance of unequal outcomes due to sheer laziness on behalf of an exam board should not be present at all in an exam that is literally going to determine the next stage of education if it is failed
(Original post by Turtlebunny)
As a university student reading this - it's totally fair. I imagine the question didn't require any knowledge beyond GCSE (i.e. it was in a f. Maths textbook but doesn't need further maths knowledge, just stretches the higher ability students). And that's fine. Exam boards, professors, everyone - reuses questions all of the time. Our professors at uni strip questions straight out of recommended textbooks for the course. If you're lucky enough to have done the question before, then great, if not, then just give it your best shot. That's exams! It's like the whole fuss with the calorie question I saw. The exam board did nothing wrong - because some people are sensitive about that doesn't mean they were doing something wrong; it was just a maths context in question. I think with social media and all the pressure of exams it is easy to find things to complain about and stress about at this time of hear. Heck, I still do it - either way my best advice would be to just do the exam, do your best, and move on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (116)
24.27%
Pop (110)
23.01%
Jazz (22)
4.6%
Classical (25)
5.23%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.2%
Electronic (37)
7.74%
Indie (81)
16.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise