Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, i sat for C3 yesterday, everything went smoothly except for a question's third part, where i didn't know how to do a sub-question. i've finished everything by then so i just wanted to try it out once again. I was already running out of space, so i crossed out the original working and wrote my new working on the next page. After numerous attempt, i still couldn't get the answer, so i literally crossed out the entire new page again because the working just doesn't make sense.

The problem now is..on the page where my original working for part c was, i also had part d's answer on it. So it's like half the page being crossed out and half the page with another part's answer. I wanted to start off a whole new page but there's no more at the back. To give a clearer picture of what i just said, there are 4 pages given for answers. I've written my answers neatly on the first two pages, i have half of the 3rd page crossed out, and half of it filled with my answers for another part. The 4th page was just..chaotic. I didn't have any answers on page 4 though. So, do you guys think i'll be penalised for..messing up the pages? I didn't mean to, as i was really trying hard to solve that particular question..and it just didn't work out for me. Suggestions? I think i've got all the other questions on that paper right and i'm really aiming for at least 98..i hope the examiner wouldn't just deduct 3 marks from me for''messing up the page''...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Careful. You can't discuss C3 for another 38 minutes. Suggest you edit your post.

To answer your fundamental question, though: the examiner will try to read whatever you've written, and if it's illegible, there's not much you can do about it. If it's legible, they'll mark it. Trust me, they see lots of scribbly scripts and yours will be no exception.

ReputationRep:
    Ah..i typed ''messy'' wrongly..is there a way to change the name of the thread title?

Hm...did i say anything regarding the questions in C3? OK..let me edit it a little bit.

My biology lecturer told us that we might get a few marks deducted if our essays are too messy..my only concern now is..will my last part's answers get affected by the messiness of the third page..do the examiners have the rights to ''simply get rid of a few marks because they think i don't deserve it due to the messiness i've presented''..?

ReputationRep:
    How come you can't discuss it?! No wonder that other one's in the recycling bin! I came on just to see what people got for answers.
    And I wouldn't think they're penalise you for that.
    I was wondering though, if you answered a question and did like 2 sets of workings out and ended up with 2 different answers for that same question, which one would they mark, if any?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Fi0na.)
    How come you can't discuss it?! No wonder that other one's in the recycling bin! I came on just to see what people got for answers.
    And I wouldn't think they're penalise you for that.
    I was wondering though, if you answered a question and did like 2 sets of workings out and ended up with 2 different answers for that same question, which one would they mark, if any?
    Edexcel rules. No discussion till 4:30am for afternoon papers, midnight for morning papers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ~Adel~)
    Ah..i typed ''messy'' wrongly..is there a way to change the name of the thread title?
    Yes. Go into the maths forum and double click just to the right of your thread's name. You should be able to change it from there.

My biology lecturer told us that we might get a few marks deducted if our essays are too messy..my only concern now is..will my last part's answers get affected by the messiness of the third page..do the examiners have the rights to ''simply get rid of a few marks because they think i don't deserve it due to the messiness i've presented''..?
    No, of course not. They'll deduct marks if it's illegible and they can't tell what you've written, and therefore can't see if you've got it right or not. Essays are slightly more variable - you mark an essay partly on your gut feeling towards it. There are some guidelines, but if you're not sure whether to give an essay 17 or 16 and it looks like it's been rushed you'll give it 16, whereas if it looks like you've sculpted it out of marble you'll give 17.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Careful. You can't discuss C3 for another 38 minutes. Suggest you edit your post.

To answer your fundamental question, though: the examiner will try to read whatever you've written, and if it's illegible, there's not much you can do about it. If it's legible, they'll mark it. Trust me, they see lots of scribbly scripts and yours will be no exception.
    So if you write something (that's actually correct) in a maths exam, cross it out with one line so it's still legible, then write the wrong answer, do they still mark the crossed out bit and give you the marks?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Go into the maths forum and double click just to the right of your thread's name. You should be able to change it from there.

No, of course not. They'll deduct marks if it's illegible and they can't tell what you've written, and therefore can't see if you've got it right or not. Essays are slightly more variable - you mark an essay partly on your gut feeling towards it. There are some guidelines, but if you're not sure whether to give an essay 17 or 16 and it looks like it's been rushed you'll give it 16, whereas if it looks like you've sculpted it out of marble you'll give 17.
    Also, essay subjects get a mark for QoWC, of which legibility of handwriting forms part of the criteria.

ReputationRep:
    I think once you crossed out the answers it means it's not legible anymore.

Oh one more thing!!! What if i write below the lines for the sciences' papers? What if i wrote it VERY neatly but exceeding the line given(not in the ''leave blank'' column), just a few more sentences below the line given? Will they mark it?

And, thanks generalebriety, that makes me feel much better. I've managed to change the thread title too. Thanks a BUNCH!

Thanks for the reminder of QoWC too, pcok. I think my handwriting is kind of controversial too. Some people find it ugly, but some say it's very neat, big and fat. i.e; it's easy to read.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    So if you write something (that's actually correct) in a maths exam, cross it out with one line so it's still legible, then write the wrong answer, do they still mark the crossed out bit and give you the marks?
    I think crossed out is a "please don't mark this" sign. If you crossed it out and wrote "oops, sorry - this is correct!" below, they'd probably mark it, but if you just cross it out it pretty much means you don't want it. I don't know, it's probably at their discretion.

I think once you crossed out the answers it means it's not legible anymore.

Oh one more thing!!! What if i write below the lines for the sciences' papers? What if i wrote it VERY neatly but exceeding the line given(not in the ''leave blank'' column), just a few more sentences below the line given? Will they mark it?
    Again, depends if it's legible or not. Remember that some exam papers are scanned, so if it's below the boundaries of the scanner (i.e. right at the bottom of the page), it's not legible (because it simply won't show up). But it might do. Who knows.

ReputationRep:
    I think crossed out is a "please don't mark this" sign. If you crossed it out and wrote "oops, sorry - this is correct!" below, they'd probably mark it, but if you just cross it out it pretty much means you don't want it. I don't know, it's probably at their discretion.

Again, depends if it's legible or not. Remember that some exam papers are scanned, so if it's below the boundaries of the scanner (i.e. right at the bottom of the page), it's not legible (because it simply won't show up). But it might do. Who knows.
    If they can tell that's what you've done though, but just can't see it on their screen they get a hard copy of the script, but I guess that's at their discretion really.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by pcok)
    If they can tell that's what you've done though, but just can't see it on their screen they get a hard copy of the script, but I guess that's at their discretion really.
    Yeah, of course. At the end of the day, if you don't follow the rules and it inconveniences the examiner, some of them will be grumpier than others, and at that point you're kind of on your own.

ReputationRep:

No, i did that in Chemistry 2, and it was right in the middle of the page. LOL! Anyway, a big ''thank you'' to both of you, pcok and generalebriety. That makes me feel better now.

Is it alright to write certain phrases directed to the examiners? Say, ''oops, i crossed this out accidentally, please mark this'' or ''please ignore this page'' etc? I did write ''please ignore this page'' on the one which was totally crossed out but eventually crossed that phrase altogether, haha! I thought it will be really informal for me to write that..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, that'll be fine then.

No problem. Remember - examiners aren't out to get you, they're out to reward you for what you know!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really counting on your words now, generalebriety.lol.

ReputationRep:
    No, i did that in Chemistry 2, and it was right in the middle of the page. LOL! Anyway, a big ''thank you'' to both of you, pcok and generalebriety. That makes me feel better now.

Is it alright to write certain phrases directed to the examiners? Say, ''oops, i crossed this out accidentally, please mark this'' or ''please ignore this page'' etc? I did write ''please ignore this page'' on the one which was totally crossed out but eventually crossed that phrase altogether, haha! I thought it will be really informal for me to write that..
    Lmao I did that on S2, I just couldn't work out this simple question, I did it about 10 times or something, so I crossed it all out when I managed to finally get the answer on the next page, and wrote "sorry for all the mess", but I'm kinda regretting that now, cos they might think I was trying to suck up for more marks or something!

ReputationRep:
    They'll think you're not taking the paper seriously.

Nah! Just joking. LOL! I think it should be OK.

ReputationRep:
    They'll think you're not taking the paper seriously.

Nah! Just joking. LOL! I think it should be OK.
    Lol I hope so!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2008

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.