Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm new to all this but I'm taking Further Maths AS next year and don't really know what modules to do. At the moment it's FP1 & maybe FP2 but I'm not too sure about D1. Is it hard if I'm the sort of person who hates stats and prefer pure? Really hoping to get some advice, and if I've posted this in the wrong section or whatever sorry in advance!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's not hard, but the chances are you won't like it if you prefer pure. It's very algorithmic and helps you solve sort of 'optimisation' problems - what's the shortest distance a postman has to travel on a given map to deliver letters to certain places, etc. Put it this way: I prefer pure, and I didn't do D1, and I'm quite glad. There's an optimisation course here at uni and it's all the same stuff, and I still don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    From the perspective of someone who did D1. It is really rather dry, but as my teacher said: It is easy marks in the bag.

If you can remember a number of simple algorithms you are really sorted for an A in the exam. It's just a case of rememvering how to apply them. An easy task in a year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I've been told it was easy. But I don't really know because they said Stats was easy but I found it harder than mechanics!
    Dunno if I should go for the easy option or something I enjoy?!
    But thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fi0na.)
    Yeh I've been told it was easy. But I don't really know because they said Stats was easy but I found it harder than mechanics!
    Have a look at some past papers and, indeed, see if you could pilfer a book from your college to help inform your judgment. I would usually recommend something enjoyable over something easy, but in truth, it is so easy to get marks (as long as you're precise).

ReputationRep:
    I think D1 is def meant to be easier than Stats.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd go for something I enjoyed. (I did.)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, suppose I should take a look in detail. Just wanted to know from people who've already done it! Does seem to sound a bit dry.
    Sorry about all these questions, but is FP2 really hard? I got advised not to take it in Further maths AS cos it would be hard to get a high grade..

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, suppose I should take a look in detail. Just wanted to know from people who've already done it! Does seem to sound a bit dry.
    Sorry about all these questions, but is FP2 really hard? I got advised not to take it in Further maths AS cos it would be hard to get a high grade..
    It really depends how good you are at maths. Do you find the A-Level easy?

ReputationRep:
    TBH D1 is actually quite cool. You do get to learn rather sweet algorithms. Some which you may find applying IRL.

ReputationRep:
    C1 & C2 was rainbows and unicorns
    Got to C3 & deffo C4 and it was like hell!
    Think I'm just average, and probably would be sooo much better if I took normal maths. It's so much in so little time.
    I suppose D1 does sound a lot different to the normal maths you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    TBH D1 is actually quite cool. You do get to learn rather sweet algorithms. Some which you may find applying IRL.
    Very unlikely unless you do something close to computer science. Its really another module designed to make either the single A-level more piss, or the FM course more tolerable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
    Very unlikely unless you do something close to computer science. Its really another module designed to make either the single A-level more piss, or the FM course more tolerable...
    Well I find myslef using 1 or 2 occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Well I find myslef using 1 or 2 occasionally.
    I dont even remember what was in the module of it that I took, asides something to do with Prim, Kruskal and Dijkstra. All I know is that progression wise, Discrete is meaningless in terms of what you can do in maths.

ReputationRep:
    D1 is easy and really not that difficult to learn, I imagine you could do it in a few days if you really wanted to. Seriously it is that easy - just got to have an okayish memory.
    I found it much easier than stats 1. You don't have to do FP2 in order to get your f.maths AS and I wouldn't from what I've heard. I'd do M2 or S2 if I were you but it really is down to personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    Learning how to apply/trace algorithms and formulate linear programming problems is important! Not only for people studying computer science, but people who decide to do financial economics, geophysics, geostatistics, operations research, numerical analysis and so on.

People usually shrug D1 off as an easy, but boring A, which is true. The module has very trivial applications of the algorithms and provides you with absolutely NO motivation to why you would want to use them. This is why you get people saying:

(Original post by A bad paraphrase)
    "BAWWWWW, D1, EASY, USELESS, IT ISN'T USED IN MATHEMATICS."

"WHY WOULD I UES ALGORYMES TO SORT DA NUMBERS?"

"MAXIMAL FLU ALGORITHMS? I'M NOT A PLUMBER?!!"

"DYKSTRU? PFFT, GPS FINDS MY QUICKEST WAY FROM KENT TO GLASGOW!!"
    Discrete mathematics has its place: combinatorics, formal languages, automata, graph theory, logic and so on.

D1, in a nutshell, should provide you with an understanding of some very basic algorithms and possibly spark an interest in the area. You either hate it or love it.

ReputationRep:
    Hate it or love it just like marmite!
    Erm, wel it's different to other the normal maths we do, so I probably will go for it, besides the A that everyone gets in it is quite encouraging.
    FP2 I might be taking because pure maths is simple the best!
    Thanks aaaz! Looks like D1 has a few uses there!

ReputationRep:
    Hate it or love it just like marmite!
    Erm, wel it's different to other the normal maths we do, so I probably will go for it, besides the A that everyone gets in it is quite encouraging.
    FP2 I might be taking because pure maths is simple the best!
    Thanks aaaz! Looks like D1 has a few uses there!
    I should stress that D1 is more of an introduction to a wider area! Obviously, studying it isn't going to make you an operations research guru over night. However, it'll provide you with some understanding and a foundation into the area. More importantly, it should tell you if it is something that interests or bores you. (and of course, most good candidates get an A.)

You can obviously teach yourself these things in your own time. The same applies to most things in A-Level maths. However, I can't imagine most people sitting down and learning quick sort, just so they know it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.