Advanced Higher English 2019-2020 Watch

charlie0912
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A thread for anyone studying SQA Advanced Higher English 2019-2020, how’s everyone finding the course?
jxllie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi does anyone have any recommendations on 2 books I can compare (romantic genre)

I was thinking Emma or persuasion by Jane Austen?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jxllie)
Hi does anyone have any recommendations on 2 books I can compare (romantic genre)

I was thinking Emma or persuasion by Jane Austen?
:wavey:
I've merged this into the main AH English thread- hopefully someone here can offer some advice
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,

I'm doing AH English this year and started reading a couple of books for it.

Thinking either 1984 and Man in the High Castle or Lolita and Ada, or Ardor.

Would anyone be able to offer advice as to the suitability of these books for AH dissertation?

Thanks
charlie0912
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 123543)
Hey,

Would anyone be able to offer advice as to the suitability of these books for AH dissertation?

Thanks
you can search up shetland island library online and get book ideas for AH, huge list
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,

Thanks
Those all sound like fantastic options! If you're into something a little different, you could consider comparing two or three of the following books (a few of my personal favourites which are very similar):

Paula by Isabel Allende (originally written in Spanish but translated)
Please Look after Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin (originally written in Korean but translated)
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (originally written in Japanese but translated)

I read all of the above for university courses: Paula for a Spanish lit course at Edinburgh and the latter two for a comparative lit course at my university in Japan. They're all contemporary as well and quite relatable. And, extremely interesting! :fluffy:

Just something to consider (even for a read in your spare).
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much! Will try and read a few of them over summer, even if I don't end up using them for my dissertation
(Original post by Quick-use)
Those all sound like fantastic options! If you're into something a little different, you could consider comparing two or three of the following books (a few of my personal favourites which are very similar):

Please Look after Mother by Kyung-Sook Shin (originally written in Korean but translated)
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (originally written in Japanese but translated)

I read all of the above for university courses: Paula for a Spanish lit course at Edinburgh and the latter two for a comparative lit course at my university in Japan. They're all contemporary as well and quite relatable. And, extremely interesting! :fluffy:

Bluebells602003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
I’m planning on comparing how mental health is portrayed in books for my dissertation. Any suggestions on books I could do?
Thanks in advance
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time

Even if you don't use it for your dissertation, it's a fantastic book imho.
(Original post by Bluebells602003)
Hey,
I’m planning on comparing how mental health is portrayed in books for my dissertation. Any suggestions on books I could do?
Thanks in advance
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you so much! Will try and read a few of them over summer, even if I don't end up using them for my dissertation
I honestly can't recommend them enough. They're not lengthy novels and are extremely easy to read and get into.

I remember reading quite dense and traditionally academic novels in high school as well as at the start of uni. But, these books were so enjoyable to read that I couldn't put them down. It rejuvinated my love for reading! :fluffy:

That said, I had some exceptional lit tutors and lecturers at uni.
Bluebells602003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Curious Incident of the Dog in The Night Time

Even if you don't use it for your dissertation, it's a fantastic book imho.
Thanks so much. Looks interesting. I’ll give it a read even if I don’t end up using it for my dissertation as it looks like something I’d enjoy.
Abigail110203
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Hello everyone. I need some help picking books and a task as I only see my English teacher that deals with dissertation once a week. Even in that period we only deal with dissertation in the last 5 minutes. I really enjoy fantasy and romance books but have no idea where to start. It would be very useful if anyone could help, -especially because I would have no idea what to look at once I got these books- if someone could point me in the right direction.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Abigail110203)
Hello everyone. I need some help picking books and a task as I only see my English teacher that deals with dissertation once a week. Even in that period we only deal with dissertation in the last 5 minutes. I really enjoy fantasy and romance books but have no idea where to start. It would be very useful if anyone could help, -especially because I would have no idea what to look at once I got these books- if someone could point me in the right direction.
I had recommended these books to someone else before but you could consider comparing two or three of the following books (a few of my personal favourites which are very similar):

Abigail110203
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thanks, I will have a look at them. Just out of curiosity what would you suggest the task be for those books. Like what would i be looking to compare.
I had recommended these books to someone else before but you could consider comparing two or three of the following books (a few of my personal favourites which are very similar):

Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Abigail110203)
Thanks, I will have a look at them. Just out of curiosity what would you suggest the task be for those books. Like what would i be looking to compare.
First of all, I'd recommend just reading them and then thinking about what to look at. Once you've read them, you can consider the themes.
Abigail110203
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
OK, thanks, i'll go have a look at them.
First of all, I'd recommend just reading them and then thinking about what to look at. Once you've read them, you can consider the themes.
charlie0912
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
what’s everyone doing for their portfolio? quite stuck on ideas but i’ve started a reflective
Abigail110203
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
I wasn't thinking about doing an argumentative piece on the trolley problem.
(Original post by charlie0912)
what’s everyone doing for their portfolio? quite stuck on ideas but i’ve started a reflective
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads