The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
saklut
What is that ?? :confused: :confused:
I thought this was the correct way. I also found 4.

What I did in the exam. I just want to know where it goes wrong. I'm not denying that x = 4 is correct.
KSP
To those people who got 12.9 as the max angle before the object would topple, did you have to subtract the Centre of mass (part b) from the length of the object? I thought i read that the centre of mass was measured from the base, so it was simply arctan (2a/CoM). Did i read wrong? The max angle i got was around 30 something.

I also got the max angle as around 30...i really hope it was right, i started to worry when i saw people posting that they got 12.9
I really need good UMS from this exam.
Reply 122
Does anyone remember the answers for Q2, 3and 5?
I got the following:
2a) 2pi/25
2b) 0.016
2c) 0.04pi

3b) root (2G/5H)

5a) 3MG/2
5b) 20.4
5c)15MG/4
Reply 123
xMiss_Sarahx
I also got the max angle as around 30...i really hope it was right, i started to worry when i saw people posting that they got 12.9
I really need good UMS from this exam.

Yeah, I got that the max angle was around 30, but I wouldn't trust my answers, I phailz at M3:smile:
IChem
Yeah, I got that the max angle was around 30, but I wouldn't trust my answers, I phailz at M3:smile:

Ah, well I failed the paper in January, so my answers probably arent' the most likely to be acurate either. Maybe we're missing something.
Reply 125
xMiss_Sarahx
Ah, well I failed the paper in January, so my answers probably arent' the most likely to be acurate either. Maybe we're missing something.

Quite possibly. Oh well M3 isn't in my conditional offer, so if the worst comes the worst and I've completely failed it, it isn't the end of the world for me:smile:
yeh same
but still want an A in fp1 S1 and M3 :frown:
this paper raped us it seems...
IChem
Quite possibly. Oh well M3 isn't in my conditional offer, so if the worst comes the worst and I've completely failed it, it isn't the end of the world for me:smile:

Yeh, i've just redone the question...it was 12.9. The answer of 31.3 is when you use the length of the distance of the cetre of mass from O, not from the base of the cylinder.
Ah well, we may get 2 out of the 4 marks, as we said it wont topple, which is true, and we kind of used the right method.
I need it, FP2 will go horrendously, because the algebra is so random and tricky for me, and i need an A :frown:
Ah well, a mirracle could always occur.
Reply 128
xMiss_Sarahx
Yeh, i've just redone the question...it was 12.9. The answer of 31.3 is when you use the length of the distance of the cetre of mass from O, not from the base of the cylinder.
Ah well, we may get 2 out of the 4 marks, as we said it wont topple, which is true, and we kind of used the right method.
I need it, FP2 will go horrendously, because the algebra is so random and tricky for me, and i need an A :frown:
Ah well, a mirracle could always occur.

Heres hoping they lose our papers!
IChem
Heres hoping they lose our papers!

dude really?
it cant be THAT bad lol
im exepcting around 15-20 marks gone :P
Reply 130
valentine_strongrod
dude really?
it cant be THAT bad lol
im exepcting around 15-20 marks gone :P

I'm expecting 15-20 marks total!:rolleyes:
kcfch
it was 0.016m away from B is that what you got? because you had to take what you found out away from 0.12m

it cant be 0.016m away from B
think about it...it takes 1.5 seconds to go to A from B so to come back from A to O it wont take longer than 0.75 seconds...
hence from B to A to O it should take no more than 2.25 seconds...
...so the particle is more than 0.12 m away from be...
use x = A sin wt and ull get -0.104 meters
This means that the particle is 0.104 meters from O near A
tada...0.104 + 0.12 =0.224 meters :biggrin:
but then again!!! i might be wrong :P
Reply 132
Alright everyone, I am gonna forget about M3 now and focus on M4. Goodluck for any exams you still got.

One more thing, I have seen the thread for Jun07. Everyone was saying that A would be more than 65/75. So basically, after reading everyones comments I am sure the boundary would not be more than 58/75. :smile:

.A.
IChem
I'm expecting 15-20 marks total!:rolleyes:

seriously?!
THAT bad??
.A.
Alright everyone, I am gonna forget about M3 now and focus on M4. Goodluck for any exams you still got.

One more thing, I have seen the thread for Jun07. Everyone was saying that A would be more than 65/75. So basically, after reading everyones comments I am sure the boundary would not be more than 58/75. :smile:

.A.

it shudnt be more than 55/75
coz in jan08 the paper was superbly easy and the boundary was 55
Reply 135
valentine_strongrod
it cant be 0.016m away from B
think about it...it takes 1.5 seconds to go to A from B so to come back from A to O it wont take longer than 0.75 seconds...
hence from B to A to O it should take no more than 2.25 seconds...
...so the particle is more than 0.12 m away from be...
use x = A sin wt and ull get -0.104 meters
This means that the particle is 0.104 meters from O near A
tada...0.104 + 0.12 =0.224 meters :biggrin:
but then again!!! i might be wrong :P

lets get this right before I leave.

A to B it takes 1.5 sec. So A to 0 it takes 0.75 sec. The question said that the ball is directed towards A initally. So it takes 0.75 s to go to A from 0. Then another 0.75 to come back to 0. So far 1.5 s.

The question asked for t=2s. So we are left with 0.5s now.

Its at centre position.

X = asinwt. a=amplitude (0.12) w=2pi/3 t=0.5. This will give you distance away from O in 0.5s. OB=0.12

P = particle position.

PB = OB - PO

= 0.016

.A.
Reply 136
valentine_strongrod
it shudnt be more than 55/75
coz in jan08 the paper was superbly easy and the boundary was 55

Well June07 was 65 or something stupid!:eek:
alex_hk90
Was I the only one who found that paper very tricky?

As for question 6(c):
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]v^2 = 6(1 - \frac{1}{(x + 1)^2}) = 6(\frac{x^2 + 2x}{(x + 1)^2}) \newline[br]v = \frac{dx}{dt} = \sqrt{6}\frac{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x}}{x + 1} \newline[br]\int{\sqrt{6}}dt = \int{\frac{x + 1}{\sqrt{x^2 + 2x}}dx \newline[br]

[br]6t=x2+2x+c[br]t=0,x=0,c=0[br]6t=x2+2x[br]t=2,26t=x2+2x[br]24=x2+2x[br]x2+2x24=0[br](x+6)(x4)=0[br]x>0x=4[br]\displaystyle[br]\sqrt{6}t = \sqrt{x^2 + 2x} + c \newline[br]t = 0, x = 0, \Rightarrow c = 0 \newline[br]\to \sqrt{6}t = \sqrt{x^2 + 2x} \newline[br]t = 2, \Rightarrow 2\sqrt{6}t = \sqrt{x^2 + 2x} \newline[br]24 = x^2 + 2x \newline[br]x^2 + 2x - 24 = 0 \newline[br](x + 6)(x - 4) = 0 \newline[br]x > 0 \to x = 4 \newline[br]

Yep. I did the same thing and got the same answer as you, except I divided through by the x variable at the beginning. I'm annoyed that I messed up on some of the easier questions.
Reply 138
.A.
lets get this right before I leave.

A to B it takes 1.5 sec. So A to 0 it takes 0.75 sec. The question said that the ball is directed towards A initally. So it takes 0.75 s to go to A from 0. Then another 0.75 to come back to 0. So far 1.5 s.

The question asked for t=2s. So we are left with 0.5s now.

Its at centre position.

X = asinwt. a=amplitude (0.12) w=2pi/3 t=0.5. This will give you distance away from O in 0.5s. OB=0.12

P = particle position.

PB = OB - PO

= 0.016

.A.

Well, that's what I got, so and therefore, it's probably wrong:p:
IChem
Still, I myself was told by the mods to not put up recent papers, so I don't really want to risk a ban. I will send papers to anyone who PMs me their email address though.

Fair enough, check your PM. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending