Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, the Further Maths papers are finally done and over with.

I thought Paper 1 was harder than usual and I didn't do to well in it. P2 was slightly easier than expected but mine still went a bit dodgy.

How did everyone do and what do you think the grade boundaries are going to be for this year?

ReputationRep:
    Paper 1 was as usual, I thought. The last linear algebra question was a bit odd. They asked for the dimension of the range space and then asked to prove that {a, b, c} was a basis - isn't the solution to both problems essentially the same?

Paper 2... I almost didn't do half a question (then after quite a lot of thinking I suddenly remembered about rotational k.e.) and caught a calculation mistake in the last few minutes just as time was called.

ReputationRep:
    There were only 4 of us. I forget what they thought of paper 1, but the 2 girls thought paper 2 was bad and the other guy thought it was OK.

The matrix given had rank 3. So that means the range space has dimension 3. The basis is the 3 vectors they give. I proved the last part by contradiction - suppose t = y - z and that the vector is not in the range space. Then I column-reduced the basis vectors they gave to obtain a new basis for which it was clear that given x, y, and z, if t = y - z then the vector is in the range space - which is a contradiction.

ReputationRep:
    No one has a clue...it's really quite odd.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.0 KB Help me wid zis pleazze

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albert1407)
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  9.0 KB Help me wid zis pleazze
    I see this is your first post so some advice....

Don't dig up a 4 year old conversation and add an unrelated question to it.
    Post a new thread..... in the maths forum
    Write questions in plain English so they can be understood by everyone, a lot of people are irritated by the way you have written and won't bother to respond.
    Don't just ask to be told the answer or what to do, explain what you have tried so that people can see what you know and what you need help with.

Replace p and q in the equation and use your algebra skills to rearrange and get all the terms in sin(x) on one side and all those in cos(x) on the other.

So what do you know about trigonometric identities? This question can be then answered with the first one most people learn

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 5, 2012

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.