The Student Room Group

A-level AQA Sociology Paper 3 12th June 2019 [Unofficial Mark Scheme]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Api00
Is stops & searches a crime prevention strategy?

yeah - it acts as a deterrence against crimes such as drug or illegal weapon possession.
Reply 21
I spoke about trad marxism & althusser( I thought he was a trad marxist then I found out he was a neo-marxist) but tbh most of the points for marxism was in the item so I was a bit annoyed as that was kind of my own knowledge lol. I then criticised with functionalism and postmodernism but I was running out of time so I had 25 mins to answer this question so I only wrote about those 3.
Original post by kirigiri
if you can correctly justify your answer to the question and relate it to the hook, its fine. its not going to solely accept answers regarding realism.

neo-marxism is a good thing to bring up, and im not sure how much they weight it. you may be able to get a good mark on it by just referring to traditional marxism if you link it back every time to whether its relevant to todays society. i couldnt tell you whether this will keep you out of the top mark band, though.
With 20 mark Marxism is it okay to go in-depth in its contributions to understanding society eg how it it within education and religion, a lot of people spoke about broad terms like ideological state apparatus (I also addressed this a bit)
for the 20 marker- I don't even know if I did well...
I forgot to mention Gramsci and Althusser and their Marxist concept.
But I did link Marxism with education as a consumer and marketisation, and also linked it to crime and how the hierarchal structure of the prisoners and the workers correlate with the class divisions and maintain capitalism. My AO3 was also from the postmodernist and feminist approach.

Do you think I would be able to get above 15/20 marks at least???
im freaking out...
Reply 24
im worried too.
Original post by hope_123
for the 20 marker- I don't even know if I did well...
I forgot to mention Gramsci and Althusser and their Marxist concept.
But I did link Marxism with education as a consumer and marketisation, and also linked it to crime and how the hierarchal structure of the prisoners and the workers correlate with the class divisions and maintain capitalism. My AO3 was also from the postmodernist and feminist approach.

Do you think I would be able to get above 15/20 marks at least???
im freaking out...
Maybe, situational crime prevention suited the Q more due to the obvious flaws with it but you could be right because all environmental crime prevention is, is keeping the area clean and tidy and hope that crime does not occur as a result, so for that reason it may prove unaffective due to its hopefullness that if an area looks well looked after, crime in general will not occur there. But it lacks a real clear deterence other than giving the appearence of a decent well looked after area. You could say it was superficial. Crime could still easily happen.
Original post by Tierney Butcher
Would environmental crime prevention count as a point for the 10 marker for question 3???
(edited 4 years ago)
about me? or you? 😂
Original post by Api00
im worried too.
Reply 27
haha both of us!
Original post by hope_123
about me? or you? 😂
For the 10 marker on question three, I knew the crime prevention strategies but decided to talk about how they aren't successful due to white collar crime and cyber crime existing. Not sure if that was a valid point or not but I did manage to link it to a hook. Maybe I won't get a high score on that question then
q1) first paragraph i think i linked to deviance amplification spiral and how people are marginalised from society when they’re labelled as folk devil so form deviant subculture
second para i wrote about masculinity & used example of how in schools masculinity is lost by obeying teachers so they form debating subcultures out of school to regain masculinity by underage drinking and stuff

q2) people may not realise they’ve been victims of crime (link to white collar crimes)
embarrassment particularly males who have been victim of assault by a woman
many don’t want to face further injustice by the system so don’t bother reporting eg rape victims don’t think they’ll be believed

q3) haven’t seen anyone else do this but first para i used stem ‘how people commit crimes’ - spoke about incapacitation & linked to how globalisation has increased opportunities for crime. then referred to glocal organisations and how these can continue to operate when an individual is put in prison, so it’s not an effective reduction method unless they arrest every person in an organisation (unlikely and difficult)
can’t really remember my second paragraph? think i talked about rehabilitation there was a link to the item but can’t remember what exactly but spoke about how people in prison can act like they’ve been rehabilitated to be released but may just be an act & continue to commit crime when they’re out

q4) same as most people think I did 5 paragraphs: sex role theory, chivalry thesis, heidensohns control of women, liberation thesis and then wrote how female criminals are glamourised in the media eg james bond films - linked this to simulacra.

q5) first para spoke about funding / funding sources and how 1) people will not fund projects they aren’t interested in and 2) sociologists May design their research or manipulate results in a way that favours whoever is funding it if that makes any sense
then spoke about weber, we are subjective humans our views influence everything such as selecting a research topic used example of marx & how his role as a positivist was questioned as his views may have impacted his research

q6) did a paragraph on marxism, structural marxism, actually did another small paragraph for structural as I did one about ideological state apparatuses and one about craib referring to humans as puppets etc/free will is an illusion, neo marxism, and then a para on functionalism / feminism
Reply 30
Original post by Naomikumson
This is actually for a level students not GCSE.

oops sorry! thought this one was for GCSE haha!
Does anyone know if I could get any marks for question 5 (objectivity and values question) for talking about Becker and the underdog and relativism/postmodernism please?
another unofficial mark scheme because i havent seen one yet :smile:

question one
name two reasons as to why people may join deviant subcultures

question two
name three reasons as to why people may not report crime

question three
using the item, analyse two reasons as to why crime reduction techniques may not be successful

question four
discuss explanations as to patterns of female offending

question five
outline two reasons as to why sociological research may not be objective

question six
evaluate the contribution of marxism to our understanding of today's society

Is this crime and deviance paper 3 2019 questions A level ??
Original post by jessicaozdemir
1) due to status frustration - link to Cohen and Merton. Not able to achieve goals through legitimate ways so form subculture to achieve goals through this.

Also, I don’t know if this is right. But due to labelling Howard Becker. After being labelled and self fulfilling prophecy people make form subcultures as they are marginalised from society. Not sure tho

Is this right ?
Reply 34
Anyone know where I can find this paper? Or how to revise for it?? I struggle with sociology so much :/
Reply 35
Does anyone know where I can find this paper? Or how I can revise for these topics? I struggle with sociology so much :/
Reply 36
yeah - it acts as a deterrence against crimes such as drug or illegal weapon possession.

How did you revise for sociology paper 3??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending