Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice on future studies/career watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    soaresb

Sat Jun 07, 08 03:41 AM

I want to break into the finance sector, not aiming for a quant role (for now), just middle office, risk analyst, et. al. I have first class honours in mathematics. My problems are firstly, a paper thin resume -no internship experience at all; and secondly, my studies so far have nothing to do with the mathematics used in finance (maybe measure theory, but ... ). I'm thinking of attending LSE and taking up a MSc risk and stochastics. Is this a good move to reorientate myself into finance? What worries me most is that I have no internship or work experience whatsoever. I wonder how much chance do I have of faring against the competition this September, when recruiting for positions for 2009 begins. Probably close to nil. So should I try for 2009 summer internships instead? Or postpone going and try to get some work experience in the mean time (but the reason for the MSc is precisely that I can't any worthwhile finance jobs)? Any opinions or advice? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Where is your degree from?

ReputationRep:
    How much will the LSE degree cost you?
    Then ask your self how quickly you want to regain that money back, 3 years, 5 years?

Then see if the expected yearly salary increased of the new job is matched by the job you can expect to get with your new shiny LSE degree....

I say this because I have heard of people doing LSE degrees for £30,000 (UK students btw) and not getting a proportional salary increase in the jobs they got accepted for therefore very little increase in income.
    Financially you may be worse of. Buts its always a great experience.

Do some number crunching and also ask people in the industry if they would prefer a Msc form LSE or experience or fresh graduate etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    what university are you from / extra curriculars?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.