Pressure to attend graduation Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I wondered if anyone has felt like this before? Basically I am eligible to attend graduation, in all honesty I do not really want to go. I only feel like I'm going for my family and friends. As they will find it strange if I do not go.

Is it normal to feel like this? I just bought the tickets for my parents and I didn't know how expensive graduation would be.

Thank you for your advice.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't wanna go? Don't go.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did not go to either of mine. Don't want the fuss, the false fun; meeting boring people's even more boring parents.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Didn't want to go to either, but did to give me Mam and Dad their five mins of fuss. Same again for the next one.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I understand how you feel.
I didn't go to any of my uni graduation ceremonies.
You might want to discuss how you feel with the people you are closest too.

Mixture of reasons: the expenses of tickets, costs of hiring a gown, not wanting to be put in a position where I could be ambushed by people I go out of my way t avoid or made to stand alongside obnoxious bullies for photos.
The only graduation photos I have are of me as a baby wearing my parent's graduation garments at their ceremony.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I can understand how you feel, as I didn't go to my undergraduate ceremony (not only the price of it all, but also didn't feel like celebrating a degree that I didn't enjoy).

Definitely speak to your family about how you feel, as they may only be excited about it because they think that you feel the same.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for your advice. I will speak to my parents about it and decide what I do. It is nice to know I'm not the only one feeling like this.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Didn't want to go to either, but did to give me Mam and Dad their five mins of fuss. Same again for the next one.
I think that is why I said I'd go to mine. For my parents really. To thank them for everything
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I think that is why I said I'd go to mine. For my parents really. To thank them for everything
Yeah, exactly. My next one is the 'big' one really but I am still ambivalent. I'm going for exactly the reason you say. They'll be chuffed and it's a few hours out of my life. Also, big pissup :laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads