can you sit an A level in one year? Watch

_katie.lawlor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
hey guys - this is my first time posting to a forum woo!

my current situation is that I'm studying A level chemistry, biology and English language, as I'd hoped to go to uni to do medicine (which requires biology and chemistry). I did well at the GCSEs and was under the impression that the A level content would not be significantly harder than the GCSE content.

in reality, I seriously hate the chemistry course with a burning passion; it makes me so unhappy as I'm constantly not doing well in it (i haven't achieved higher than a C all year). my struggles in the sciences have forced me to change my degree choice of medicine to alternatives like biomedical sciences and neuroscience, as I'm just not getting the grades that medicine requires.

what I'm wondering is whether I am able to drop my chemistry A level after only one year, and take up a new A level that I'll have to squeeze into next year if that makes sense? I want to choose a course that really interests me and that I'm likely to do well in, as this gives me a better chance of getting better predicted and achieved grades for uni (which would definitely beat the ABC/ACC that I'm currently looking at.)

my new degree choices require at least ABB and only for me to take biology, so dropping chemistry seems like a no-brainer as it really drags me down and is ruining my college experience.

if anyone could let me know whether sitting a full A level in the space of one year is possible I would be really grateful! thank you!
Mustafa0605
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by _katie.lawlor)
hey guys - this is my first time posting to a forum woo!

my current situation is that I'm studying A level chemistry, biology and English language, as I'd hoped to go to uni to do medicine (which requires biology and chemistry). I did well at the GCSEs and was under the impression that the A level content would not be significantly harder than the GCSE content.

in reality, I seriously hate the chemistry course with a burning passion; it makes me so unhappy as I'm constantly not doing well in it (i haven't achieved higher than a C all year). my struggles in the sciences have forced me to change my degree choice of medicine to alternatives like biomedical sciences and neuroscience, as I'm just not getting the grades that medicine requires.

what I'm wondering is whether I am able to drop my chemistry A level after only one year, and take up a new A level that I'll have to squeeze into next year if that makes sense? I want to choose a course that really interests me and that I'm likely to do well in, as this gives me a better chance of getting better predicted and achieved grades for uni (which would definitely beat the ABC/ACC that I'm currently looking at.)

my new degree choices require at least ABB and only for me to take biology, so dropping chemistry seems like a no-brainer as it really drags me down and is ruining my college experience.

if anyone could let me know whether sitting a full A level in the space of one year is possible I would be really grateful! thank you!
In my opinion, doing a difficult A level in two years is still easier than doing an alternative A level in one year
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Virolite
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I sat A-Level biology (new spec) in my gap year and copped an A* so it's possible, baring in mind it was my only exam but if you're dropping chem i'd strongly recommend picking up maths.
_katie.lawlor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
i enjoy maths but not enough to do the A level as it looks horrendous, although i am doing core maths once a week which was compulsory to help with the maths content in biology. i would love to do philosophy or classics as they really interest me and i'm very good at writing long essays?
(Original post by Virolite)
I sat A-Level biology (new spec) in my gap year and copped an A* so it's possible, baring in mind it was my only exam but if you're dropping chem i'd strongly recommend picking up maths.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads