Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For all those done with IB or done with the first year...
    Could you try and remember how you felt in this format:

Beginning Day 1:

End of Day 1:

Similarly for a few days

and then end of Month 1

End of 6 months since commencement:

ReputationRep:
    first day was no different than any other first year

first few days I was just starting IB and the lessons so nothing new

but after about the 3rd week and definitely first month the stress started kicking in. huge workload which i had never had to deal with before, plus my CAS; and i couldnt find any free time

6 months was less stressful as i was used to the whole workload, dealing with CAS, and setting time for myself and going out. But it was still equally hard with the IAs, deciding on EE titles and TOK to worry about

the first few months are the hardest, but thats IMO

ReputationRep:
    1st day: "ugh...what the heck is happening...no information...i hate this school"
    end of day 1: "finally, the day's over! i confirm, i hate this school"
    after a few days: "when is it going to start getting hard?"
    after a month: "wth!? this is supposed to be hard? 6s and 7s here I come!!!"
    End of six months: CAS already finished, EE topic and plan done..."is this ever going to get hard and have a heavy work load?"

ReputationRep:
    I didnt expect the workload to be so huge 6 months in

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...

Beginning of Day 1: Wow. I'm so excited. I wonder what this will be like.

End of Day 1: We didn't do anything today except have lots of prep talks. IB doesn't seems as scary as people say it is.

A few days: Going over presumed knowledge for IB. If you remember all the stuff from IGCSE or the equivalent this shouldn't be too hard.

End of Month 1: What the?? I don't get any of this new stuff! *mass self-study*

End of 6 months: Even more self-study. But having finished CAS and having good work plans, it starts to get easier from here onwards. You'll also have good foundations in your subjects, so suddenly everything isn't so alien.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisismyhandle)
    For all those done with IB or done with the first year...
    Could you try and remember how you felt in this format:

Beginning Day 1:

End of Day 1:

Similarly for a few days

and then end of Month 1

End of 6 months since commencement:
    firstly OP can you put your sig in a spoiler...

all of that i think the answer is easyyyy like the whole first year was almost pointless in how easy it was IMO...

ReputationRep:
    Beginning Day 1: Very excited - new people, new teachers, new subjects etc

End Day 1: I felt like my head was going to explode with information - it was nothing like anything I had experienced with the schooling system down here

A few days: excitement had worn off, just like normal school - lots of new things to learn

End of 6 months: realised it was nothing like normal school, I couldn't remember anything I had learnt 6 months ago and had an "IB breakdown" - luckily I recovered...

Out of curiosity - why do you want to know this??

ReputationRep:
    Day 1: Wow I am doing The IB! Induction on the EE, TOK essay - all very exciting!

Month 1: No stress, everything is normal

End of 6 months since commencement: No work load, everyone is carefree, trs don't care, no stress but still a few students drop out of IB

Last 6 months of IB: This is where some ppl even started choosing topics for there EEs! IAs are being completed, deadlines to be met, a lot of stress, uncooperative trs, many topics covered personally

My sch was new to IB so they were a bit disorganized. The whole first year was so relaxed and then suddenly in the second year there was a lot of stress as IAs were to be completed and all. The safest thing to do is to get started on your own. Don't expect your trs to always be there for you.

ReputationRep:
    Beginning Day 1: induction, new people, new cafeteria

End of Day 1: senior school is cool =D

Similarly for a few days: wow i have frees

and then end of Month 1: zomg IB is so hard

End of 6 months since commencement: help.. meee....

ReputationRep:
    Beginning Day 1: OMG, i'm starting the IB, I'm gonna DIE!!! (haven't done any revision of presumed knowledge stuff, and didn't finish summer reading log)

End of Day 1: Hmmm...everything's okay so far, and i did too much work with the reading log.

Similarly for a few days: Everything's still doable, maths SL is so easy, Thai A2 is a Joke. I'm actually having fun in my classes!

and then end of Month 1: I love IB, so much free time, not much homework, fun discussions in class, I can do this

End of 6 months since commencement: Heavier workload, Maths SL is still easy, Thai A2 is still a joke, i have practically NO Presumed knowledge for Chem SL past stoichiometry and it's getting harder, English A1 HL is more fun than i thought, OMG Economics so hard, damn History >.<

I doubt you'd get much response in the first 6 months. If your expectation is to know how much real work we do and what is the worse case scenario you should ask about the october and christmas breaks of the 2nd year onward. That's when the real work begins.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.