Doing A-level maths without reaching the GCSE Grade required. Watch

Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Lets say I got a 6 in my GCSE maths but I need a 7 to do a-level maths.Will I be considered on enrollement day? OR. If I resit in November and get that grade 7+. Would I have to wait until I'm in year 13 to start the a-level course? Would you recommend a-level maths to someone who isn't exactly skilled in maths?
lmil
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi, A level maths is difficult and requires lots of dedication. I’m not saying you couldn’t do it but make sure it’s definitely what you want because there are lots of exams to sit and it will be a long 2 years studying something you really don’t like!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Baby_Mama)
Lets say I got a 6 in my GCSE maths but I need a 7 to do a-level maths.Will I be considered on enrollement day? OR. If I resit in November and get that grade 7+. Would I have to wait until I'm in year 13 to start the a-level course? Would you recommend a-level maths to someone who isn't exactly skilled in maths?
Are you staying at the same school? If I think someone sould have got a 7 and they just miss then we let them start the A level. Talk to your teachers as to whether you will cope with A level.
froomus
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Honestly, for your own sanity, don't. I got an 8 in the GCSE. Started doing maths at Sixth Form. Dropped it after 3 weeks. It's so much harder...sorry mate.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Seriously - I got an 8, close to a 9 at GCSE and A level Maths is horrible. The lessons are ok, but the exams (*cough* edexcel this year) are horrific.
Totty265
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would choose your best subjects for A level. If you can't get a 7 or above at GCSE maths unless you really have extenuating circumstances you will end up stressed and unhappy instead of enjoying it
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Are you staying at the same school? If I think someone sould have got a 7 and they just miss then we let them start the A level. Talk to your teachers as to whether you will cope with A level.
Im probably staying at my school yh.
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
(Original post by froomus)
Honestly, for your own sanity, don't. I got an 8 in the GCSE. Started doing maths at Sixth Form. Dropped it after 3 weeks. It's so much harder...sorry mate.
So what subjects did you do other than maths?
froomus
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So what subjects did you do other than maths?
Music, Psychology and Computer Science. I completely failed the Computer Science AS a few weeks ago tho, and regret doing it.
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
Music, Psychology and Computer Science. I completely failed the Computer Science AS a few weeks ago tho, and regret doing it.
are you happy with psychology and music? How would you say psychology is as a a-level?
froomus
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
are you happy with psychology and music? How would you say psychology is as a a-level?
Psychology is genuinely really interesting, glad I chose it. Would defo recommend. Are you doing GCSE Music?
Baby_Mama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Psychology is genuinely really interesting, glad I chose it. Would defo recommend. Are you doing GCSE Music?
Nope not really interested in music if I'm honest
HanimalGurl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would seriously not consider doing alevel maths unless you know you will work hard for the 2 years or year 13, otherwise you will be mentally crushed, I achieved a 7 at GCSE and i'm in year 13 now, I enjoy maths, but it being mixed in with other subjects makes it so much harder to learn unless you have been allocating time efficiently into each subject.
Last edited by HanimalGurl; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads