I'm not going to NCS. Is it bad??!

Watch this thread
lily0293
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Since I have to complete my diploma piano, I must practise everyday and I cannot miss 2 weeks. However, all my friends are doing it. I really don't know.
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
same. i booked NCS with my friends months ago but i dont wanna go anymore, i've read a lot about it, u either hate it or love it. im not an outdoor person so maybe if ur not either u may not like NCS and therefore could be the better option.
if this is about time, i'd probably skip it because 2 weeks is a long time of no practice but it depends how many weeks after ncs is your diploma? if its long theres no prob with u doing NCS
turna127
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I signed up for ncs and I kind of regret it, that's 3 weeks that I could use doing other things. don't do it just cause your friends are doing it

tbh, literally so many people are doing ncs so it doesn't look that great either on an application, focus on getting your diploma as that will look even better!
elor
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I remember when NCS constantly came into our school and college and talked this big game about "how it would help us soooo much in the future". I was reluctant to do it mainly because I just wasn't interested but most of my friends did it and tried to convince me to join them. Some of them liked the experience and some of them didn't, but the one thing they all say now is that they feel that they wasted their time doing it. The people from NCS made it seem as though you were more likely to be considered by colleges/unis because of it, whilst in reality they don't really care too much about that stuff. If it's something you're interested in and really want to do then you may just want to do it for the experience but don't feel as though you're going to be missing out on too much if you don't.
joeged123
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I didn't go for the summer NCS but instead signed up to the autumn one, its condensed into a week and a few weekends after that and I met some great people who I wouldn't of met otherwise. If you don't want to commit 3 whole weeks but still want to meet new people definitely sign up for the Autumn one, that is if they do it in your area
lily0293
Rep:
It's a total of 4 weeks, but those two weeks are pretty much the main weeks, because they are full of activities. But thanks
(Original post by lilTrain)
same. i booked NCS with my friends months ago but i dont wanna go anymore, i've read a lot about it, u either hate it or love it. im not an outdoor person so maybe if ur not either u may not like NCS and therefore could be the better option.
if this is about time, i'd probably skip it because 2 weeks is a long time of no practice but it depends how many weeks after ncs is your diploma? if its long theres no prob with u doing NCS
Satanicfaeries
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I booked my place with my friends but I really can’t be bothered to go anymore count yourself lucky
lily0293
Rep:
Thank you so much, you have literally made my decision!!! Thanks
(Original post by turna127)
I signed up for ncs and I kind of regret it, that's 3 weeks that I could use doing other things. don't do it just cause your friends are doing it

tbh, literally so many people are doing ncs so it doesn't look that great either on an application, focus on getting your diploma as that will look even better!
lily0293
Rep:
Ok, thanks, I've realised that my diploma is more important.
(Original post by elor)
I remember when NCS constantly came into our school and college and talked this big game about "how it would help us soooo much in the future". I was reluctant to do it mainly because I just wasn't interested but most of my friends did it and tried to convince me to join them. Some of them liked the experience and some of them didn't, but the one thing they all say now is that they feel that they wasted their time doing it. The people from NCS made it seem as though you were more likely to be considered by colleges/unis because of it, whilst in reality they don't really care too much about that stuff. If it's something you're interested in and really want to do then you may just want to do it for the experience but don't feel as though you're going to be missing out on too much if you don't.
lily0293
Rep:
Thank you guys sooo much for all of your responses and contributions♥♥♥, they really helped. It has really opened my mind, and I've realised that practically everybody does NCS but barely anybody does a diploma. Even though it will be hard work and a bit tedious, I think it will pay off eventually.
rozinaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I went on NCS two years ago and I kind of don't know how I feel about it. Sure I had a good time (especially in the first 2 phases) and I made some friends, but if I could go back in time and do it again, I probably wouldn't since it's all overrated and over advertised. The team I was weren't the most enthusiastic bunch of people I've met, and I felt that my overall experience has been watered down because of that. My team was a joke and I kind of wish I got to choose my team who were enthusiastic to an extent. The adventure phase was decent enough since we went on a hike and camped (probably my most favourite part of that phase), but it wasn't all that. I naturally prefer to work on my own, so working with a slightly unenthusiastic team (where the guys tried to dominate it and thought they could run it) was hard since I put in more effort than they did. Also, the other phases weren't all that either, and my team's campaign in the end was a huge flop compared to the other teams' campaigns, that we were seen as the jokers although I tried to take it seriously.

I mainly went because it would give me something to do over the summer as well as gaining relevant experience to put on my CV, which would mean it would be easier to get a job. But boy was I wrong. I'm pretty much 18 now (as of 14/06/19 anyway) and I'm still in the process of getting my FIRST job that I should have had at 16. The NCS part on my CV is pretty much meaningless. I also went because I was convinced it would be good (mainly due to their advertising) and also because nearly everyone I knew was doing it as well.
Spoiler:
Show
The "graduation" is pretty darn underwhelming, depending on which region you're based in

Basically, you're not missing out on much. Just pray you have an enthusiastic team and a good mentor.
Hugh.Jazz
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
U missing out gurl....
lily0293
Rep:
Thanks, I guess everybody has their experience, but I've decided I'm not going. To be honest, aside from my diploma, I'm also a very independent person; confident, but I really don't like working with other people, when it is possible to avoid, of course.
(Original post by rozinaaa)
I went on NCS two years ago and I kind of don't know how I feel about it. Sure I had a good time (especially in the first 2 phases) and I made some friends, but if I could go back in time and do it again, I probably wouldn't since it's all overrated and over advertised. The team I was weren't the most enthusiastic bunch of people I've met, and I felt that my overall experience has been watered down because of that. My team was a joke and I kind of wish I got to choose my team who were enthusiastic to an extent. The adventure phase was decent enough since we went on a hike and camped (probably my most favourite part of that phase), but it wasn't all that. I naturally prefer to work on my own, so working with a slightly unenthusiastic team (where the guys tried to dominate it and thought they could run it) was hard since I put in more effort than they did. Also, the other phases weren't all that either, and my team's campaign in the end was a huge flop compared to the other teams' campaigns, that we were seen as the jokers although I tried to take it seriously.

I mainly went because it would give me something to do over the summer as well as gaining relevant experience to put on my CV, which would mean it would be easier to get a job. But boy was I wrong. I'm pretty much 18 now (as of 14/06/19 anyway) and I'm still in the process of getting my FIRST job that I should have had at 16. The NCS part on my CV is pretty much meaningless. I also went because I was convinced it would be good (mainly due to their advertising) and also because nearly everyone I knew was doing it as well.
Spoiler:
Show
The "graduation" is pretty darn underwhelming, depending on which region you're based in

Basically, you're not missing out on much. Just pray you have an enthusiastic team and a good mentor.
lily0293
Rep:
I will!!
(Original post by Satanicfaeries)
I booked my place with my friends but I really can’t be bothered to go anymore count yourself lucky
lily0293
Rep:
Sorry, I get it, but I really need to do this diploma
(Original post by Hugh.Jazz)
U missing out gurl....
rozinaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It just seemed a bit of a waste, especially since my team were basically a bunch a dossers who were there because they had nothing else to do. I didn't really gain any skills, and despite the fact that it's on my CV, I've struggled to find a job for almost 2 years now. I could have easily gained those "skills" they say they give on my own (and probably with a mentor)
(Original post by lily0293)
Thanks, I guess everybody has their experience, but I've decided I'm not going. To be honest, aside from my diploma, I'm also a very independent person; confident, but I really don't like working with other people, when it is possible to avoid, of course.
Ultramit21!
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lily0293)
Since I have to complete my diploma piano, I must practise everyday and I cannot miss 2 weeks. However, all my friends are doing it. I really don't know.
Ngl, I did NCS two years ago and I only ended up writing two sentences on it in my personal statement however I did meet my first girlfriend while there (Even tho it didn't last long). So basically from an academic pov, it's useless but if your only going there socially then it's a great way to make friends
lily0293
Rep:
Well, thanks for the advice. I hope you find a job soon enough!
(Original post by rozinaaa)
It just seemed a bit of a waste, especially since my team were basically a bunch a dossers who were there because they had nothing else to do. I didn't really gain any skills, and despite the fact that it's on my CV, I've struggled to find a job for almost 2 years now. I could have easily gained those "skills" they say they give on my own (and probably with a mentor)
lily0293
Rep:
Aww, that's so sweet. Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm not going, and also it not really an academic diploma, it more of a music one because I am doing a piano diploma
(Original post by Ultramit21!)
Ngl, I did NCS two years ago and I only ended up writing two sentences on it in my personal statement however I did meet my first girlfriend while there (Even tho it didn't last long). So basically from an academic pov, it's useless but if your only going there socially then it's a great way to make friends
username5710157
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Damn I'm so confused. From what I've read, you either love or hate it. NCS keep calling me to fill in the rest of the forms but i don't want to commit to it yet. I'll probably wait a few days then see
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.47%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.07%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.79%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.3%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.49%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.29%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.4%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.2%

Watched Threads