Do I still have a shot at redemption? Watch

hrsss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Okay so I've caught myself in a situation. Before anyone else digs at me, yes. I did land myself in it and I have nobody but myself to blame.

So my GCSEs went fairly well.I came out with 6s and 5s for the most part (equal to B/C). Not the best. But decent. I then went on to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at AS-levels with aspirations to go into a well paid NHS or architecture course at Uni. At first I took advantage of being in a new college and so I kept myself isolated. I never spoke to anyone and i just focused on my work. I was doing quite well with this but soon people who I was put next to by teachers kept talking and eventually my will power failed and I ended up finding myself constantly distracted and my work ethic got ruined. My grades rapidly fell and I didn't show much care for it. I dropped physics mid-year due to the fact that it was the more difficult subject of the lot and I thought it would give me more time to easily focus on my remaining subjects. This was not the case because it carried on and I was continuously getting Us and a few Es. A month before my AS exams I started revising and had finished them a few weeks ago. Biology seemed pretty decent, Chemistry was mixed and Maths was a complete flop. It is so frustrating because whilst it is my fault for not focusing all year round, I was working really hard during the month leading to the exams and whilst I am quite confident with Biology, I'm afraid I will still fail because I haven't got much evidence from the past to support the idea that I can do well in any of the subjects. So right now all I'm doing is stressing and waiting for my AS results. Being optimistic yet realistic, I would say that I'de come out with about CDU which is terrible. But we have 4 weeks left of lessons and the whole of September of when term starts to prove myself to teachers who could increase my predictions. What I want to know is if it is possible for me to get around a BBC prediction if I were to continuously get high grades and show to my teachers that my work ethic has changed for the better. I would resit a year but I go to a sixth form that does not do resits. I could change Maths if it does go bad which I probably will do. But I want to know what my chances are of getting into foundation uni courses at least with predictions I may get.

If I can't I'm not too worried as I do have plans to fall back on such as Rolls Royce Engineering Apprenticeship or NATS Air Traffic Controlling Apprenticeship which will lead into direct jobs. However there is always the possibility of them rejecting my applications so I don't want that to cause me to lay back and not care about my A-Levels.
Last edited by hrsss; 6 days ago
froomus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm in exactly the same goddamn situation right now.

Started off the year doing Maths, Music, Psychology and Computer Science. Dropped Maths a few weeks in because it was impossible. Did my AS's a few weeks ago, and I've certainly got a U in Computer science, and probably a B and D in the other 2.

As far as I know, it's possible for us to retake any AS levels we fail at the end of next year, or even pick up a new one if your school/college allows it. You could then take a year off and try and get the A2 done, or try and get into a foundation level uni course / a **** uni. You could also do an EPQ, which will improve your chances of getting in I guess...
hrsss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by froomus)
I'm in exactly the same goddamn situation right now.

Started off the year doing Maths, Music, Psychology and Computer Science. Dropped Maths a few weeks in because it was impossible. Did my AS's a few weeks ago, and I've certainly got a U in Computer science, and probably a B and D in the other 2.

As far as I know, it's possible for us to retake any AS levels we fail at the end of next year, or even pick up a new one if your school/college allows it. You could then take a year off and try and get the A2 done, or try and get into a foundation level uni course / a **** uni. You could also do an EPQ, which will improve your chances of getting in I guess...
yeah for real it is something we cant change now. the best we can do is use whatever our colleges offer. i dont want to resit a whole year again but if it comes down to it ill move colleges for it. most likely change subjects aswell. Good Luck with yourself btw. i understand the stress and we all just want to do well. we just havent come to grips with the work load yet. just got thrown straight into it. Hope all goes well for you and you get into whatever uni you want to pursue your dream career.
froomus
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by hrsss)
yeah for real it is something we cant change now. the best we can do is use whatever our colleges offer. i dont want to resit a whole year again but if it comes down to it ill move colleges for it. most likely change subjects aswell. Good Luck with yourself btw. i understand the stress and we all just want to do well. we just havent come to grips with the work load yet. just got thrown straight into it. Hope all goes well for you and you get into whatever uni you want to pursue your dream career.
thanks mate, best of luck to you as well : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads