The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
it's not difficult concepts it's just such a large volume.
totally doable.
Reply 2
It's relative to your ability.
Reply 3
Yer but it's not the massive slog that outsiders often imagine it is.
it depends how thick you are how hard you find it!! i know some total dough brains and they still pass, they have to spend their lives in the library though. i wouldn't say it was that difficult overall. other things are hard though, like the fact that my year started at the end of august and i still have 5 weeks of it left!! i'm ready to collapse.
It doesn't take any super-human intelligence to be successful, just a lot of hard work and determination. It could be said that most people with average intelligence could pass with a very high amount of determination. Debateable, the hardest part of Medicine, is actually getting on the course. You have to have a virtually flawless academic record and have a shedload of work experience in a related field to make your application competative.
Reply 6
How are you at memorising textbooks?
Reply 7
yep, just tonnes of it although nothing is actually very difficult. so bloody hard work for a few weeks of the year, the rest of the time, meh its not that bad.
Reply 8
ok thanks guys. was just interested :smile:
Reply 9
yep basically its a case of having a ****ing good memory (something alcohol doesnt help with). I have produced more notes in 1 year than I did in 2 years of doing 4 A level subjects if thats any guide. It is one hell of a lot of information, but so long as you dont get behind most people tend to cope. I agree that the hardest part is getting in, once youre there then staying there is not quite so hard (but not easy!!)
I'm better at understanding things to a very high level of detail so I sometimes dislike the massive volumes of work - but unfortunately , knowing a lot about certain topics give off an impression of seeming like I know what I'm talking about! Oops.
But yes - if I've managed this year, you can probably do it! :biggrin:
Do you find your study habits are better developed? You can identify what's irrelevant and what's useful?
Reply 12
yeah i am rather good at passing exams now. when i'm a doctor i'm going to have to ask my patients to give me multiple choices though :wink:
Reply 13
Yeah, that's very true. For the first two or three months, you'll often get freshers asking about how much depth you go into with a PBL, with some people writing an essay on encephalitis because the word "Head" was in the scenario and others not getting barndoor clues like "A 58-yo smoker presenting with cough and haemoptysis" are code for carcinoma of the lung (It could be other things, but for exam purposes it never ever is). You just develop a bit of a sixth sense for it really, learn to get all those common things. Or you turn into the kind of person who talks about chromosome number abnormalities on emergency admission ward rounds.
Reply 14
This week I have my first essay based exams since GCSEs :s-smilie: What a pain in the arse!

As people have said, tis not 'hard', tis more about having common sense and a half decent memory.
Has Saffie done her, "Medicine is a walk in the park" talk?

*checks*

Yup. :p:

Haha blondie just mucking around. :biggrin:
My memory [short term and long term] is positively non-existant - that's gonna be a minor drawback if I get into medical school right? :biggrin:
Reply 17
Philosoraptor
Has Saffie done her, "Medicine is a walk in the park" talk?
I tried not to!!

It's just SO easy :biggrin: :wink: :p:

Nah I wont be saying that in 2 weeks :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Touche
This week I have my first essay based exams since GCSEs :s-smilie: What a pain in the arse!

As people have said, tis not 'hard', tis more about having common sense and a half decent memory.

Ah...one of the (sadly few) advantages of going to one of those terribly backward traditional places. :p:
Helenia
Ah...one of the (sadly few) advantages of going to one of those terribly backward traditional places. :p:

Are you kidding ?
We're way better off than PBHell guys!!
Sorry BL! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending