A level Biology, French or Maths? Watch

ST_171
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
At uni, I'm considering either business management(with French but its not required at A level) or dentistry which are complete different jobs. I'm definitely taking chemistry, but out of Bio French and Maths I want to pick 2 which are the best for my career choices.
I know some unis require biology for dentistry but the uni I want to go to (Russell Group uni) doesn't require biology, only chemistry.
Also, most unis don't require maths at a level for business management/economics, but some do.
I really enjoy French, I'm not naturally good at it, it takes me time to learn, but I do enjoy it at GCSE, but I've heard that the topics are boring at a level, but because less language a levels are being taken each year, I feel like unis will appreciate a language A level.
Any advice on which 2 subjects I should pick??? chemistry is a definite option.
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ST_171)
At uni, I'm considering either business management(with French but its not required at A level) or dentistry which are complete different jobs. I'm definitely taking chemistry, but out of Bio French and Maths I want to pick 2 which are the best for my career choices.
I know some unis require biology for dentistry but the uni I want to go to (Russell Group uni) doesn't require biology, only chemistry.
Also, most unis don't require maths at a level for business management/economics, but some do.
I really enjoy French, I'm not naturally good at it, it takes me time to learn, but I do enjoy it at GCSE, but I've heard that the topics are boring at a level, but because less language a levels are being taken each year, I feel like unis will appreciate a language A level.
Any advice on which 2 subjects I should pick??? chemistry is a definite option.
I do Maths and French (with Computer Science) - French is a lot of hard work but I find it interesting and a good break from my other two subjects! Gave me some good stuff to talk about on my personal statement and uni interviews too.
ST_171
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
I do Maths and French (with Computer Science) - French is a lot of hard work but I find it interesting and a good break from my other two subjects! Gave me some good stuff to talk about on my personal statement and uni interviews too.
Can you tell me more about French a level please?
Like whats fun about it and whats boring, how stressful can it be and how easy/hard the exams are etc. And would you say you’re a quick learner with french or does it take you time to understand it
thegalaxy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ST_171)
Can you tell me more about French a level please?
Like whats fun about it and whats boring, how stressful can it be and how easy/hard the exams are etc. And would you say you’re a quick learner with french or does it take you time to understand it
I did the old GCSE so A level was a massive step up. If you've done the new GCSE you'll have a lot more practice with writing and translating, which we never had.

The topics depend on your exam board. On AQA the year 12 topics are family, cinema, music, technologies, heritage and volunteering. In Yr 13 the topics are crime, immigration, politics, marginalised people, diverse society, and something else I can't remember! You also have to study a book and a film. Some topics like volunteering are very boring but on the whole it's quite good. I also liked the film we did, La Haine.

The exams are ok, the only really hard thing are resumé questions, where you have to write a 90 word summary based on a listening or reading.

Got paper 1 tomorrow!
syrup.02
Badges: 15
Report 6 days ago
i feel like chem french maths is the best options purely based on what you've said
ST_171
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegalaxy)
I did the old GCSE so A level was a massive step up. If you've done the new GCSE you'll have a lot more practice with writing and translating, which we never had.

The topics depend on your exam board. On AQA the year 12 topics are family, cinema, music, technologies, heritage and volunteering. In Yr 13 the topics are crime, immigration, politics, marginalised people, diverse society, and something else I can't remember! You also have to study a book and a film. Some topics like volunteering are very boring but on the whole it's quite good. I also liked the film we did, La Haine.

The exams are ok, the only really hard thing are resumé questions, where you have to write a 90 word summary based on a listening or reading.

Got paper 1 tomorrow!
Yes i do the new gcses
The year 12 topics sound fun because its similar to what we do right now, but the year 13 topics looks scary and difficult😅 But thank you so much
And good luck for your exam!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.71%
The paper was reasonable (1175)
54.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (468)
21.63%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.36%

Watched Threads