Megxn0
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
“The military orchestrated a violent crackdown in Khartoum, with paramilitary troops killing and sexually assaulting scores of protesters. In Darfur, where al-Bashir’s troops committed horrific atrocities against Darfuri men, women, and children for years, war crimes are still happening with impunity”

https://www.unicef.org/press-release...nce-and-unrest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48602868

https://www.theroot.com/horrific-and...m_campaign=top
SlightlySummer
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So sad, can't believe it's 2019, where people care more about buildings than thousands of people
Megxn0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
So sad, can't believe it's 2019, where people care more about buildings than thousands of people
It’s honestly disgusting that this is happening in the world
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
How lucky are we to live in a civilised country.😕
Crime2SpeakTruth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Sounds bad but this is the way the world has always been

Certainly some life is seen a lot more important than overs..

Which is why on D day you never hear about all the Russians who gave their lived to defeat Germany
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
💔💔
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Crime2SpeakTruth)
Sounds bad but this is the way the world has always been

Certainly some life is seen a lot more important than overs..

Which is why on D day you never hear about all the Russians who gave their lived to defeat Germany
Fair enough, I don't suppose the Russians mention D Day when they commemorate the battle of Stalingrad.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 8 months ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why would the year be of any consequence? This type of thing has happened since the dawn of time, especially in backwaters like Sudan which doesnt exactly have a glistening history on being nice to its people.
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Fair enough, I don't suppose the Russians mention D Day when they commemorate the battle of Stalingrad.
Probably because they were two different things. the Russians are well aware of the significance of D-Day in itself though as they coincided their own massive push -operation Bagration which obliterated Army Group Center, making Stalingrad's breakout look like a walk in the park for Hitler - (one which made D-day look rather tiddly in comparison, 130 division vs. 20) to coincide with it. Not to mention their diversionary operation in Scandinavia, which arguably, aided in keeping D-day secret.
There was an interesting piece on this in the NS by David Reynolds.
username4263278
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I know the situation is bad but it's an extremely complex situation to deal with,

1) It's very difficult for Europe and it's human rights group to intervene, due to many factors, mainly because of its history of colonisation (Sudan itself being a former British colony under the name Anglo-Egyptian Sudan) and Europe would be incredibly criticized for intervening in this situation further contributing the current 'white saviour' complex which is a thing Europe is now being criticized for. Even Stacey Dooley was attacked by the media for having a photo with a black kid in Uganda for comic relief so who knows how everyone will react if Europe takes control of Sudan's government, or diplomatically intervene. Currently, the situation is being dealt with by Ethiopia, who is in charge of the African Union, this is the best thing that could be done in this situation as no western countries can really do anything except provide foreign aid as they have been doing.

2) The situation is bad and no one's denying it, but this stuff does happen in Africa way more than people think. People were saying it's was disgusting and racist and Islamaphobic why it wasn't reported but it actually was by new's website's but no one reads the new's nowadays. Keep in mind Sudan situation is only small compared to what else is happening in Africa, South Sudan is currently in civil war with tons of other issues including ethnic cleansing, an Ebola epidemic has struck the Democratic Republic of Congo and now spread to Uganda, there is a Civil War currently in Cameroon -plus Boko Haram's increasing presence in the area as well as Nigeria, Cyclone Idai in Malawi and Mozambique which killed 847. To give Sudan's issue special treatment over all the current crisis's in Africa would be wrong and unfair to all the other countries.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by schoolsboring)
I know the situation is bad but it's an extremely complex situation to deal with,
Not to over simplify it too much but i would ask what exactly is so complex about this? It's the rather hoary old situation of those in power not wanting to surrender power.
I mean, arguably, it's just another day with another African despot...
username4263278
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Not to over simplify it too much but i would ask what exactly is so complex about this? It's the rather hoary old situation of those in power not wanting to surrender power.
I mean, arguably, it's just another day with another African despot...
As I said in my comment the Western World cannot in any circumstance intervene with the government, do to many things to do with it's past. And to mean no disrespect to everyone suffering and killed in Sudan, but what makes this specific countries situation special? The reason Sudan was spread by social media was because of the population of Muslims in the western world trying to get the word out which no has a problem with. But everyone needs to realise Sudan is not the only thing happening in Africa right now, with Boko Haram on the rise, Ebola resurfacing, Cyclone's destroying countries and Civil War, Africa is an extremely unstable continent. Ethiopia probably going to be the answer to the solution and that's going to be all what can be done
SlightlySummer
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Why would the year be of any consequence? This type of thing has happened since the dawn of time, especially in backwaters like Sudan which doesnt exactly have a glistening history on being nice to its people.
Why so negative? The year is significant, people are supposed to have evolved and adapted the morals of this day and age. You wouldn't expect people to care much in the 1800s, would you? What a silly question
yelir
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I hope other African countries intervene rather than western superpowers such as the US and the UK, we all know what happens when the West decides to give a developing country some "Democracy".....
StephRadriguez
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Megxn0)
“The military orchestrated a violent crackdown in Khartoum, with paramilitary troops killing and sexually assaulting scores of protesters. In Darfur, where al-Bashir’s troops committed horrific atrocities against Darfuri men, women, and children for years, war crimes are still happening with impunity”

https://www.unicef.org/press-release...nce-and-unrest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48602868

https://www.theroot.com/horrific-and...m_campaign=top
This is disgusting. RIP to everyone that died.
octaviaowl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This is nothing new, stuff like this happens all the time in the world and a lot of people don't report on it, yes it's very unfortunate and saddening at what's happening but I don't understand why this one specific event is getting everyone's attention especially Instagram with people changing their pfp to a turquoise colour thinking that somehow that's going to help.
Wooord
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by octaviaowl)
This is nothing new, stuff like this happens all the time in the world and a lot of people don't report on it, yes it's very unfortunate and saddening at what's happening but I don't understand why this one specific event is getting everyone's attention especially Instagram with people changing their pfp to a turquoise colour thinking that somehow that's going to help.
it raises awareness, of course there are horrendous things happening all over the world, no one is denying that. But those situations are usually so much more complicated than this. Here, people are being killed for protesting, that's literally it. Its preventable, also through awareness people can donate
eylyalulu
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
the fact that so much money was raised for notre dame THE DAY after the fire where literally NO ONE was hurt, not even the bees that lived there got killed, yet barely anyone is raising awareness for this (and im referring to the rich celebrities who had enough money to give millions and post things on how devastating the notre dame fire is yet done nothing about this) :/
verycoolperson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
the crimes of this person has going on for a long time
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why so negative? The year is significant, people are supposed to have evolved and adapted the morals of this day and age. You wouldn't expect people to care much in the 1800s, would you? What a silly question
It’s called being realistic, as opposed to sticking your fingers in your ears and saying ‘la la la everybody should be nice’
No, those are western morals, nobody else’s.
What a ridiculous comment.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by eylyalulu)
the fact that so much money was raised for notre dame THE DAY after the fire where literally NO ONE was hurt, not even the bees that lived there got killed, yet barely anyone is raising awareness for this (and im referring to the rich celebrities who had enough money to give millions and post things on how devastating the notre dame fire is yet done nothing about this) :/
You’re acting like this is some horrific out of the ordinary event? Whilst it might be rather sad and what not it’s extremely common.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (499)
59.76%
Yes- I don't like it (43)
5.15%
No- I want it (237)
28.38%
No- I don't want it (56)
6.71%

Watched Threads