The Student Room Group

Sudan Massacre

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Crime2SpeakTruth
Sounds bad but this is the way the world has always been

Certainly some life is seen a lot more important than overs..

Which is why on D day you never hear about all the Russians who gave their lived to defeat Germany

And also you never hear about the Indians, Sikhs, Muslims etc who fought for the allies in the war either.
Reply 21
Original post by Napp
No, those are western morals, nobody else’s.

Should non-westerns pay you royalties for culturally appropriating your morals?
Reply 22
Original post by Ascend
Should non-westerns pay you royalties for culturally appropriating your morals?

It’s amusing that when you try to appear as a smart ass you end up making a fool of yourself.
Reply 23
Original post by Napp
It’s amusing that when you try to appear as a smart ass you end up making a fool of yourself.

Then please explain to this smartarse fool how certain morals are "western and nobody else's"...
Reply 24
Original post by Ascend
Then please explain to this smartarse fool how certain morals are "western and nobody else's"...

Do you seriously need someone to explain to you that the modern concept of ‘universal basic human rights’ are a western idea? Oh dear.
Reply 25
Original post by Napp
Do you seriously need someone to explain to you that the modern concept of ‘universal basic human rights’ are a western idea? Oh dear.

No, I need you to explain to me how it's somehow only applicable to westerners and nobody else. Do you oppose non-westerners defending universal human rights on the grounds that it's western and nobody else's?
Reply 26
Original post by Ascend
No, I need you to explain to me how it's somehow only applicable to westerners and nobody else. Do you oppose non-westerners defending universal human rights on the grounds that it's western and nobody else's?

I don’t recall saying that.
Original post by Unknown-99
And also you never hear about the Indians, Sikhs, Muslims etc who fought for the allies in the war either.

You do if you pay attention.
Reply 28
Original post by Napp
I don’t recall saying that.

So then it's not "nobody else's".

No one owns ideas including ethical ones, no matter their origin.
Reply 29
Original post by Ascend
So then it's not "nobody else's".

No one owns ideas including ethical ones, no matter their origin.

Again, I never said they did. Why are you trying to lie and contend I did?
Reply 30
Original post by Napp
Again, I never said they did. Why are you trying to lie and contend I did?

That's literally what "nobody else's" means.
Just ignore the kid's comments
Original post by Ascend
Reply 32
Original post by SlightlySummer
Just ignore the kid's comments

Oh bless you.
Original post by Ascend
That's literally what "nobody else's" means.

As in they originate in the West, not that they are some form of possession darling.
Original post by Crime2SpeakTruth
Sounds bad but this is the way the world has always been

Certainly some life is seen a lot more important than overs..

Which is why on D day you never hear about all the Russians who gave their lived to defeat Germany

There's also not enough appreciation for the man who made the defeat of Nazi Germany possible. Churchill and Roosevelt, largely irrelevant in comparison, are given all the credit.
this is exactly the problem. we have normalised literal massacres and dismissed the atrocities which are occurring in these countries just because it has "happened for a long time" and our daily lives in our western countries are unaffected. raising awareness and having these discussions is just a start to putting a stop to this and saying it is NOT okay to be killing masses of people on a daily basis in every country which is going through it. please understand that whilst this may just be an "ordinary" and "sad" event which you hear about every so often and scroll past, people are losing their lives and living in terror. this isn't about countries anymore; its a humanitarian crisis.
Original post by Napp
You’re acting like this is some horrific out of the ordinary event? Whilst it might be rather sad and what not it’s extremely common.
Original post by Just my opinion
Fair enough, I don't suppose the Russians mention D Day when they commemorate the battle of Stalingrad.

I don't see why the Russians would mention D-Day when the Red Army had decisively defeated Hitler's forces and would have taken Berlin, and completely destroyed Nazi Germany, regardless of what occurred in Normandy in June of 1944.

D-Day prevented the Red Army from pushing further into Western Europe, nothing more.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
There's also not enough appreciation for the man who made the defeat of Nazi Germany possible. Churchill and Roosevelt, largely irrelevant in comparison, are given all the credit.

Well observed.
I mean its honestly quite true. The year is of no consequence because we are human beings, we are animals and we will continue to behave the way we do, probably forever. I am referring to human psychology and not societal values as societal values have definitely changed but psychologically and genetically we are not so different from our ancestors.

I'm sorry to break it to you but people in Sudan are religious and typically religious people believe that God will enhance and make their lives better but I do not believe this because If I want something, I get it done by myself and never expect anyone else to do it for me and the point I hope I am making is that they should have the freedom to believe in their religion but they should get things done instead of praying that God will do it for them.

I do hope I'm not being rude or coming across as offensive. These people need support and not harsh judgment and its horrible that peaceful protesters are being attacked like this and I've heard that even doctors are being attacked in horrific ways. I have no idea how Sudan can change to become a better country and move forward. Maybe an uprising might work but I don't know much about uprisings.
Original post by SlightlySummer
Why so negative? The year is significant, people are supposed to have evolved and adapted the morals of this day and age. You wouldn't expect people to care much in the 1800s, would you? What a silly question
Reply 38
Original post by Future Physics
I'm sorry to break it to you but people in Sudan are religious and typically religious people believe that God will enhance and make their lives better but I do not believe this because If I want something, I get it done by myself and never expect anyone else to do it for me and the point I hope I am making is that they should have the freedom to believe in their religion but they should get things done instead of praying that God will do it for them.

The uprisings were not religious and did exactly that: "If I want something, I get it done by myself and never expect anyone else to do it for me"

These were protests headed by doctors, lawyers, students and women who were notably lacking religious motives. Sudan has a rich history of secular intelligentsia and even public calls for separation of religion and state.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/secularism-and-diversity-sudan
Thank you for correcting me but weren't these recent events just peaceful protests? I know that all kinds of people were involved and thank you also for the link, I'll read it when I get time.
Original post by Ascend
The uprisings were not religious and did exactly that: "If I want something, I get it done by myself and never expect anyone else to do it for me"

These were protests headed by doctors, lawyers, students and women who were notably lacking religious motives. Sudan has a rich history of secular intelligentsia and even public calls for separation of religion and state.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/secularism-and-diversity-sudan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending