The Student Room Group

Gcse mathematics grade boundaries

I'm so stressed out because i have just calculated that i have got 204/240 in my official GCSE exams. According to nearly everyone, the boundaries are going to be a lot higher than last year.
Last year a 9 was 202/240. I have worked so hard for this grade. Do you think that there is any chance that this could be a 9?

Scroll to see replies

I don’t think the grade boundaries fluctuate that much. If everyone else felt they did sub par then yeah it’s probably a 9 but you can’t predict how everyone else did or what the grade boundaries will be. It’s out of your control. If not it’s a high 8 and that’s pretty impression to say the least
this year paper werent that easy so i think you will be able to get a 9 but examiners are unpredictable......
Original post by Shozab_N15
I'm so stressed out because i have just calculated that i have got 204/240 in my official GCSE exams. According to nearly everyone, the boundaries are going to be a lot higher than last year.
Last year a 9 was 202/240. I have worked so hard for this grade. Do you think that there is any chance that this could be a 9?
Reply 3
I really hope so.. thx btw
Original post by arieslover
this year paper werent that easy so i think you will be able to get a 9 but examiners are unpredictable......
no worries
I really hope so.. thx btw

Who are these 'experts' telling you this? It's rubbish! Nobody knows what the grade boundaries will be yet - not even the examiners. ALL papers will be marked and then they will look at setting grade boundaries - this whole process is overseen by JCQ to ensure standards are maintained and comparable between boards.
Reply 6
A lot of people say that the papers were "extremely" easy and therefor they believe that the boundaries are going to be really high
Original post by Muttley79
Who are these 'experts' telling you this? It's rubbish! Nobody knows what the grade boundaries will be yet - not even the examiners. ALL papers will be marked and then they will look at setting grade boundaries - this whole process is overseen by JCQ to ensure standards are maintained and comparable between boards.
A lot of people say that the papers were "extremely" easy and therefor they believe that the boundaries are going to be really high

Only the examiners and markers are the people whose 'opinion' is important - just ignore others. You haven't seen a mark scheme yet either so can't even know how many marks you've got!
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Only the examiners and markers are the people whose 'opinion' is important - just ignore others. You haven't seen a mark scheme yet either so can't even know how many marks you've got!

you know that teaches go through the papers on youtube with the answers, right?
you know that teaches go through the papers on youtube with the answers, right?

That's not a mark scheme though - and they are doing that by breaking copyright - no guarantee it is a 'real' teacher. A teacher would not risk their access to the Edexcel exam emporium.
Reply 10
As someone who did my maths gcse last year i think you're perfectly fine. I would say the boundary for a 9 would be 196-200
thx mate, btw how did you find your maths paper?

Original post by Will_W
As someone who did my maths gcse last year i think you're perfectly fine. I would say the boundary for a 9 would be 196-200

Nah boundaries are going down even teachers have predicted so
I really hope so, my life depends on it :frown:.
Original post by Hasan167
Nah boundaries are going down even teachers have predicted so
Reply 14
thx mate, btw how did you find your maths paper?

The one i did last year? paper 1 easy, rightfully so as the boundary was 70 for a 9 on that paper. Paper 2 i found average and 3 i kind of panicked in the middle and though i flopped but turns out i didn't. Overall 216/240 :smile:
thats an incredible score ! damn, how's a-level.

Original post by Will_W
The one i did last year? paper 1 easy, rightfully so as the boundary was 70 for a 9 on that paper. Paper 2 i found average and 3 i kind of panicked in the middle and though i flopped but turns out i didn't. Overall 216/240 :smile:
Reply 16
thanks man! I'm actually in year 11, doing gcses like you. A bit exhausting though and i seemed to lose most my motivation for gcses after year 10. Im doing another 12 gcses, however that does include both further maths and add maths. You do further maths?
thats an incredible score ! damn, how's a-level.
No, I wanted to do further maths but we didn't get to do it. But just like you after the mocks, I have seemed to have lost my motivation at gcse's so im kind of disappointed with myself.
Original post by Will_W
thanks man! I'm actually in year 11, doing gcses like you. A bit exhausting though and i seemed to lose most my motivation for gcses after year 10. Im doing another 12 gcses, however that does include both further maths and add maths. You do further maths?
Reply 18
Yeah, tbh screw gcses, i just want to get on with a-levels. I have geography paper 3 tomorrow and after all these exams i really couldn't care less about it lol, anyways i'm probably gonna start revising for it now or maybe physics paper 2 as it is the exam i worry most for now and i'm doing it for a-level
No, I wanted to do further maths but we didn't get to do it. But just like you after the mocks, I have seemed to have lost my motivation at gcse's so im kind of disappointed with myself.
lol, thats exactly me. IM also choosing maths, physics and computer science at A-level
(Original post by Will_W)
Yeah, tbh screw gcses, i just want to get on with a-levels. I have geography paper 3 tomorrow and after all these exams i really couldn't care less about it lol, anyways i'm probably gonna start revising for it now or maybe physics paper 2 as it is the exam i worry most for now and i'm doing it for a-level

Quick Reply

Latest