EmmaBambridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello, I am currently starting my NEA in geography and I'm really stuck for ideas, I want to do something physical, I was thinking of something to do with carbon and water cycles? but any ideas would be grateful please and thankyou x
Lilyyy333
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Honestly not sure it’s a brilliant idea to do your coursework on that. From experience changing places and coasts are the only areas people focused on in my year (ur modules may be differnet as differnet schools choose different modules). Anyhow you may find water and Carbon cycles very interesting but you have to be realistic and research something that is actually possible to research in such a short amount of time. From my experience of learning water and Carbon I think it would be practically impossible for u to research this area as a student, sorry . Also would suggest talking to your teacher about this idea and whether it’s actually plausible practically just incase I’m wrong.
(Original post by EmmaBambridge)
Hello, I am currently starting my NEA in geography and I'm really stuck for ideas, I want to do something physical, I was thinking of something to do with carbon and water cycles? but any ideas would be grateful please and thankyou x
Last edited by Lilyyy333; 1 month ago
naem071
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hopefully this response isn't too late, but I'm going to have to disagree with the above reply. It is very much possible to do fieldwork on the water and carbon cycles, to a high standard, but with the caveat of more difficult/complex data collection techniques. You could look at the hydrology of a small local drainage basin and analyse variations in the hydrograph and the effects of storm events on stores/flows. You could find a local woodland and analyse the size of the carbon stores within and evaluate the impacts of deforestation etc. The more common route within the topic is to probably look at a drainage basin close to you. It's best to form a broad enquiry question (for example, 'How is (insert name of basin) affected by variations in the water cycle') and branch into smaller, focused sub questions which will help to direct you (for example, 'How does local lithology affect the basin during storm events').

This link should be helpful to you:
https://www.geography-fieldwork.org/.../water-carbon/

This link also shows an exemplar NEA on the carbon cycle, it was awarded 37/60 mainly due to the weak data analysis which can easily be improved:
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...373-NEA-CS.PDF
EmmaBambridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is brilliant thankyou, I decided to investigate how infiltration rates change in upland and lowland areas and what other factors there are but these are great for sub questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate