Panic attack in maths exam Watch

caitlin2111
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Soooo... maths paper 3 edexcel.
I had a panic attack and cried and although yes the exam was hard, the panic completely limited me. When I have panic attacks they aren’t like stereotypical panic attacks. my breathing goes funny but mostly i just can’t do anything. I just sit there and either stare at the page or flick my eyes back and forth. In this exam my panic made me flick back and forth through pages and everything just looked jumbled on the page. Next thing I knew half an hour had gone which felt like a flash, i literally must’ve stared at the paper for half an hour without realising (before the flicking through panic happened). I also was panicking because my stomach was so bad, even if my stomach makes a tiny noise while i’m alone in my room I still panic about it, so exams are hard for me because one tiny noise and next thing you know i’m stuck staring at the page. I could NOT stop crying yesterday after the exam until I went to sleep because of it, im not the best but i had worked so hard to get a 7 or 8, my teacher I think had actually noticed my improvement, but because of my panic i complete ****ed it up crying about it thinking about this now. If I get lower than a 7 I literally don’t know what i’m gonna do with my life anymore. I know that sounds ungrateful but i’m already so distraught about it, if it actually happens then it’s over for me really. anyone have any advice
redmeercat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I'm sorry that that happened... Exams are hard enough anyway without additional pressures. For now, I think you need to try and forget about it so that you can ensure that your next exams go as well as they possibly can go. Also remember that there are 3 papers, so the one exams can be recovered from. But at the end of the day, GCSEs are mainly just used to help you up to A level etc, and even Oxbridge don't judge you much on individual GCSE grades. Focus on the work you put in and how much you've learnt. Get into A level (/etc) and start again, talk to someone who can help about strategies for your panic, and remember that GCSEs are only worth anything because they teach you how to work, and grades are meant to represent that, even if they don't in reality. You'll be ok, even if you're devastated in the short term. I'm sorry that there isn't anything better that I can suggest I can't imagine how bad you must feel. Come and talk to me about it on pm if you want to. x
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by redmeercat)
Hi, I'm sorry that that happened... Exams are hard enough anyway without additional pressures. For now, I think you need to try and forget about it so that you can ensure that your next exams go as well as they possibly can go. Also remember that there are 3 papers, so the one exams can be recovered from. But at the end of the day, GCSEs are mainly just used to help you up to A level etc, and even Oxbridge don't judge you much on individual GCSE grades. Focus on the work you put in and how much you've learnt. Get into A level (/etc) and start again, talk to someone who can help about strategies for your panic, and remember that GCSEs are only worth anything because they teach you how to work, and grades are meant to represent that, even if they don't in reality. You'll be ok, even if you're devastated in the short term. I'm sorry that there isn't anything better that I can suggest I can't imagine how bad you must feel. Come and talk to me about it on pm if you want to. x
hi thank you so much i’m just worried i won’t get into a levels xx
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Which A levels do you want to do? If you want to do arts subjects (English, languages, textiles, etc) a pass if maths should definitely suffice, and even for science subjects (including maths, sciences, etc) you should be able to explain the circumstances and get special consideration, even if your grade isn't what you'd have liked.
(Original post by caitlin2111)
hi thank you so much i’m just worried i won’t get into a levels xx
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi, OP, are you getting help for your mental health?
liaente
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello, I'm sorry to hear this...
Did you tell your school about this? Maybe the exam board might give you special consideration if you tell them what happened. I'm sure everything will turn out well for you in the end. I think the best option to do right now is to tell the exam board or your school.
I wish you the best.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Firstly, have a word with exam organiser at school, to see if you can get a compensation put forward. Secondly, and most importantly see your GP about these attacks, to make sure it's not something else. Yours don't sound typical of panic attacks, and thus it needs to be checked out.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
You need to see your GP and talk to the school about it buddy, they need to know. They can’t account for problems that they don’t know exist.

This is for future exams, I might be wrong but I doubt anything can be done about this one.
Last edited by Andrew97; 4 days ago
Lilymay1999xxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I did my GCSE’s a few years ago. I was expected high grades and did almost exactly the same, maths came back as a grade 4. I thought the exact same as you. If I get a low grade, my life will be over. I’ve learned a few things since that time. Unless you are wanting to be a very high up profession (doctor etc), anything above a 4 doesn’t mean anything more than someone going “oh that’s great well done”. Every single thing I’ve gone to, only needed a 4 (pass). You can get into colleges and most a levels, go to uni with that grade, honestly having anything more generally does not make a difference. And, it’s done with. You can’t change it, the paper is gone, unfortunately. Until results day there is no point you worrying or stressing sweet. Enjoy your summer! You’ll never get another like it. My school leavers summer was the best I had, don’t waste it over something that won’t matter!I’m in exactly the same place today with a grade 4 in maths that I would have been with my 7. Finished college, going to uni and on my way to being a paramedic. It may seem like it right now but it doesn’t mean much at all what gcse you get as long as you pass, I only answered a few questions and still passed!You’re going to be absolutely fine!Xxxx
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Which A levels do you want to do? If you want to do arts subjects (English, languages, textiles, etc) a pass if maths should definitely suffice, and even for science subjects (including maths, sciences, etc) you should be able to explain the circumstances and get special consideration, even if your grade isn't what you'd have liked.
physics maths and accounting 😫 can’t write to save my life 😭
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Hi, OP, are you getting help for your mental health?
i’ve been referred to camhs but they take a while. i talk to someone at school about it
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by liaente)
Hello, I'm sorry to hear this...
Did you tell your school about this? Maybe the exam board might give you special consideration if you tell them what happened. I'm sure everything will turn out well for you in the end. I think the best option to do right now is to tell the exam board or your school.
I wish you the best.
i applied for special consideration because of a flare up a medical condition so hopefully that will work out. i also told the exam board but they weren’t very helpful at all
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purdy7)
Firstly, have a word with exam organiser at school, to see if you can get a compensation put forward. Secondly, and most importantly see your GP about these attacks, to make sure it's not something else. Yours don't sound typical of panic attacks, and thus it needs to be checked out.
i have done this about a flare up of a medical condition which affected all my exams but they asked me to put a few specifics forward so i definitely bring this one up. i’ve gone to the doctor about it a bit, i have other medical problems which may be more to do with it but i’m not sure.
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
You need to see your GP and talk to the school about it buddy, they need to know. They can’t account for problems that they don’t know exist.

This is for future exams, I might be wrong but I doubt anything can be done about this one.
yeah i guess so, ive told my college i’m going to about my panics in exams and they said they would help me with it so hopefully in future it’ll be okay
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lilymay1999xxx)
I did my GCSE’s a few years ago. I was expected high grades and did almost exactly the same, maths came back as a grade 4. I thought the exact same as you. If I get a low grade, my life will be over. I’ve learned a few things since that time. Unless you are wanting to be a very high up profession (doctor etc), anything above a 4 doesn’t mean anything more than someone going “oh that’s great well done”. Every single thing I’ve gone to, only needed a 4 (pass). You can get into colleges and most a levels, go to uni with that grade, honestly having anything more generally does not make a difference. And, it’s done with. You can’t change it, the paper is gone, unfortunately. Until results day there is no point you worrying or stressing sweet. Enjoy your summer! You’ll never get another like it. My school leavers summer was the best I had, don’t waste it over something that won’t matter!I’m in exactly the same place today with a grade 4 in maths that I would have been with my 7. Finished college, going to uni and on my way to being a paramedic. It may seem like it right now but it doesn’t mean much at all what gcse you get as long as you pass, I only answered a few questions and still passed!You’re going to be absolutely fine!Xxxx
thank you so much this is so reassuring and inspiring :,) i hope you have a good time at uni! i will definitely try and relax about it :/
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Well, even if your results aren't what you'd hoped (and remember that we are all our own worst judges when it comes to exams) speak to your prospective sixth form and see if they can make contextual allowances... Most sixth forms are quote good at that sort of thing, and then hopefully you'd get support through A levels. It'll be ok, good luck
(Original post by caitlin2111)
physics maths and accounting 😫 can’t write to save my life 😭
caitlin2111
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 minute ago
Well, even if your results aren't what you'd hoped (and remember that we are all our own worst judges when it comes to exams) speak to your prospective sixth form and see if they can make contextual allowances... Most sixth forms are quote good at that sort of thing, and then hopefully you'd get support through A levels. It'll be ok, good luck
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (335)
15.63%
The paper was reasonable (1168)
54.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (463)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (177)
8.26%

Watched Threads