Staying in Oxford or Cambridge at 17 Watch

adamisntdead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
My friend and I want to go to visit Oxford and Cambridge before we apply, but we are both 17. Is there anywhere we could stay without bringing one of our parents?
Scotney
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Are you planning going to the open days in the summer. Worth ringing and seeing if you can stay in a college room. Lots let out rooms in the holidays to tourists. Cannot see why there would be an age restriction.
(Original post by adamisntdead)
My friend and I want to go to visit Oxford and Cambridge before we apply, but we are both 17. Is there anywhere we could stay without bringing one of our parents?
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
A fair few colleges will let you stay there, though you may have to pay. I know for a fact that Selwyn and Churchill do, and I'd imagine others will
adamisntdead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
what about when it's not during the open days?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yeah, if anything they'd be more likely to let you. You might struggle getting a room in term time though, but terms are short so it's easy enough to go during their holidays.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Yes you will have to pay. Book early as the rooms wll go quickly around the open days.
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
A fair few colleges will let you stay there, though you may have to pay. I know for a fact that Selwyn and Churchill do, and I'd imagine others will
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
They are just let out like B&B rooms during the holidays.
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Yes you will have to pay. Book early as the rooms wll go quickly around the open days.
You might not necessarily have to though- for my interview in December, Fitzwilliam College let me stay for free the night before. It's possible that they only make general guests pay, and let you for free if it's uni related
MagnumKoishi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
By the way, it's a long shot but if you're wanting to do physics, then try do the senior physics challenge. Sounds difficult, but it's really not. You then get a free 4 nights at cambridge with that

Alternatively, there's the Isaac physics boot camps. They'll get you two nights free.

For oxf*rd, or other subjects, I don't know
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads