Student finance, living with boyfriend Watch

smcmerlin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So when I applied for student finance last year (I started my course in September 2018) i had to prove I had lived and supported myself independently so they didn't go off my parents income.. as I had lived alone for a long time (at the time I was renting with my sister) and worked full time from the age of 16 this wasn't a problem.

When I moved to uni, I moved with my boyfriend and privately rent.
I didn't mention it to SFE because tbh.. I didn't even think about it and didn't think I had to because of my age.
SFE website says... 'What counts as household income' 'your partner - if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)'

I've applied for 19/20 finance and ive just had an unfriendly emailing threatening to cancel any further and make me repay my loans as I didn't tell them when we moved in together...

I didn't think it was relevant seeing as they would only take his income when I was turned 25, which is why on this year's application I put his details in, and he gave his details too them.

I'm worrying that they're going to stop my finance and make me repay anything.. that would mean having to quit my course 😢

It's stupid anyway, as we pay 50/50 on all bills and rent... He has no obligation to support me financially. I was recommended to apply for the adults dependants grant, which would mean I wouldn't have to work this year and could properly concentrate on doing well in my degree. That's probably why they've emailed me now.

Obviously I'm not going to lie to them, I'll give them the exact date, but does anyone know what will happen?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi we wouldn't need to know about your partners income unless you are under 25 + married or if you are over 25 or if you have children/applying for any grants. If you are under 25 and stated you have children/or applying for Grants For Dependants then you would of had to put your partners income on the application form so we can determine who the child is dependant on.
Thanks, Isaac.
(Original post by smcmerlin)
So when I applied for student finance last year (I started my course in September 2018) i had to prove I had lived and supported myself independently so they didn't go off my parents income.. as I had lived alone for a long time (at the time I was renting with my sister) and worked full time from the age of 16 this wasn't a problem.

I didn't mention it to SFE because tbh.. I didn't even think about it and didn't think I had to because of my age.
SFE website says... 'What counts as household income' 'your partner - if you’re over 25 and live with them (even if they spend most of their time abroad)'

I've applied for 19/20 finance and ive just had an unfriendly emailing threatening to cancel any further and make me repay my loans as I didn't tell them when we moved in together...

I didn't think it was relevant seeing as they would only take his income when I was turned 25, which is why on this year's application I put his details in, and he gave his details too them.

I'm worrying that they're going to stop my finance and make me repay anything.. that would mean having to quit my course 😢

It's stupid anyway, as we pay 50/50 on all bills and rent... He has no obligation to support me financially. I was recommended to apply for the adults dependants grant, which would mean I wouldn't have to work this year and could properly concentrate on doing well in my degree. That's probably why they've emailed me now.

Obviously I'm not going to lie to them, I'll give them the exact date, but does anyone know what will happen?
Nursingdreamsxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by smcmerlin)

Hi can you please tell me what happened?

The father of my children (not my partner) is having to move into the property as he's the lead tennant and he has nowhere else to go, I of course can't stop him but it also means I would plan on using him for childcare whilst I'm studying my last year.

I'm scared to phone student finance and tell them he's moving in as I'm worried they'll say I'm not entitled to anything as I was obviously working when he wasn't living here to pay all the bills and now he's moving in they have to use both my income and his from last year, even though we weren't living together so it's going to seem like I have lots of income when I really don't, as I won't be working this year as with him paying the rent I won't need to and can concentrate on my studies. However he isn't my partner and doesn't support me financially but he is the biological father of my children. Help

Did you end up loosing your student finance? Or did they agree it was a misunderstand and let you continue?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?