The Student Room Group

BBC defends Jo Brand over 'battery acid' joke

The BBC has defended Jo Brand against claims she incited violence through comments made during a radio show.

The comedian, a guest on BBC Radio 4's Heresy on Tuesday, joked about throwing battery acid at "unpleasant characters" rather than milkshakes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

Farage isn't really upset at it, he highlights the double standards we seem to have on that hate speech thing we hear so much of. Jo was being hateful and whether that makes the grade as comedy is arguable, although there were quite a few laughs from the audience, Farage is pointing it out and calling for the prescribed treatment to be dished out. He knows full well there will be none and so do we, which is the point he makes. It's not even as if he thinks there should be some, it's just that were it the other way...

The question isn't so much about Jo, she can be loose and cheap, it is about why the BBC decided to leave it on. That was their editorial choice and we know why that was too. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a live show.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not often I agree with Nige but yeah, poor form here.
Original post by z-hog

Farage isn't really upset at it, he highlights the double standards we seem to have on that hate speech thing we hear so much of. Jo was being hateful and whether that makes the grade as comedy is arguable, although there were quite a few laughs from the audience, Farage is pointing it out and calling for the prescribed treatment to be dished out. He knows full well there will be none and so do we, which is the point he makes. It's not even as if he thinks there should be some, it's just that were it the other way...

The question isn't so much about Jo, she can be loose and cheap, it is about why the BBC decided to leave it on. That was their editorial choice and we know why that was too. To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a live show.

Maybe its because there was no incitement and it was a joke of questionable taste.

Feel free to explain how this amounted to incitement and what law was broken.
And when she had a pop on HIGNFY about Ian Hislop's making light of sexual harassment.

Just proves that with these virtue signallers, they're all just as human and unPC as anyone else. Just they can get away with controlling others and look smug by appealing to SJWism.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe its because there was no incitement and it was a joke of questionable taste.

Feel free to explain how this amounted to incitement and what law was broken.

Nah, that's not the point. The point is that, were it a joke about a Remainer (no examples of any having anything thrown at them for comparison, let's pretend though) and the BBC would have cut it out. Audience wouldn't have laughed either.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
I love how the right are such snowflakes when it comes to jokes of questionable content aimed at them but theyre more than happy to incite hatred and violence themselves. Oh irony abounds.
Original post by z-hog
Nah, that's not the point. The point is that, were it a joke about a Remainer (no examples of any having anything thrown at them for comparison, let's pretend though) and the BBC would have cut it out. Audience wouldn't have laughed either.

So you agree there was no incitement , just a poor taste joke? As you say you need to pretend.
Original post by z-hog

People have dark humour, what's the real problem? I find some filthy sexist jokes a lot more uncomfortable, but accept there is an audience for that ****. Is it because of recent acid throwing terrorist attacks?
It's the BBC, what did you expect.
Reply 9
So you agree there was no incitement , just a poor taste joke? As you say you need to pretend.

Incitement to violence, was there any? I've already said that is not the point for me and that Farage may well be playing it for effect but how the law defines it I'm not sure, we need a lawyer if one is reading this. I'd say that tacitly endorsing the act of throwing milkshakes at politicians and claiming to have a fantasy where battery acid would be a more suitable form of expression of hatred of them isn't that funny.
Original post by z-hog
Incitement to violence, was there any? I've already said that is not the point for me and that Farage may well be playing it for effect but how the law defines it I'm not sure, we need a lawyer if one is reading this. I'd say that tacitly endorsing the act of throwing milkshakes at politicians and claiming to have a fantasy where battery acid would be a more suitable form of expression of hatred of them isn't that funny.

You are missing the fact it was clearly a joke. Go and google incitement up and then explain how it fits the requirement. Because it is Jo Brand you know by her comedy she says a lot of drivel, none of which is to be taken seriously.
Reply 11
Original post by leopard202
People have dark humour, what's the real problem? I find some filthy sexist jokes a lot more uncomfortable, but accept there is an audience for that ****. Is it because of recent acid throwing terrorist attacks?

The problem is that there are no sexist or filthy jokes at the BBC, their sanitised comedy department is now more dedicated to making fun of anything Brexit related. The Mogg and Johnson are particularly tapped into and nobody would really care weren't it for the double standards where anybody aligned with the Guardian is immune as if by magic.
Reply 12
You are missing the fact it was clearly a joke. Go and google incitement up and then explain how it fits the requirement. Because it is Jo Brand you know by her comedy she says a lot of drivel, none of which is to be taken seriously.

Except by those with a political angle who try to drum up some faux outrage.
I don't know much about the censorship tendencies of these organisations

Are you saying they usually sanitise every other 'extreme' joke and so you're surprised this one didn't get cut? To me that's like an offhand joke and would be surprised if it got much attention at all. Violence also is less of a category i think, than say sexist, political, or racist jokes. So maybe they just didn't think much of it until backlash afterwards
Original post by z-hog
The problem is that there are no sexist or filthy jokes at the BBC, their sanitised comedy department is now more dedicated to making fun of anything Brexit related. The Mogg and Johnson are particularly tapped into and nobody would really care weren't it for the double standards where anybody aligned with the Guardian is immune as if by magic.
The problem is not particularly her statement but the fact that the BBC (and many others) would not accept someone saying "we should firebomb corbyn" or some other leftist politician
Lefty scum.
Reply 16
Original post by leopard202
Are you saying they usually sanitise every other 'extreme' joke and so you're surprised this one didn't get cut?

No, only that they can be highly selective about it. Were this type of joke to target a Remainer and it would have been cut out, because it was about the head-figure of the Brexit movement it was deemed funny enough. I assume it would have been, in no time the name of Jo Cox would have been fed to the frenzy and the same people who think nothing of it now would be up in arms calling it an incitement to violence.
Reply 17

If that is just a way of avoiding the point being raised we've had enough of it, i don't care if it's incitement to violence or not anymore. Would you agree that if somebody made a joke at the BBC about dreaming of throwing a milkshake at Soubry or Cooper they might have thought twice before laughing?
Original post by z-hog
If that is just a way of avoiding the point being raised we've had enough of it, i don't care if it's incitement to violence or not anymore. Would you agree that if somebody made a joke at the BBC about dreaming of throwing a milkshake at Soubry or Cooper they might have thought twice before laughing?

I thinbk you are being a drama queen and making much more of it than was needed. It is Jo Brand she makes comments but her comedy isnt to be taken seriously its more hit and miss but easily forgettable. The only reason this has come to light is because of all the fuss people who want to be offended are taking rather than just letting it fade into the obscurity it deserved.
Reply 19
I thinbk you are being a drama queen and making much more of it than was needed. It is Jo Brand she makes comments but her comedy isnt to be taken seriously its more hit and miss but easily forgettable. The only reason this has come to light is because of all the fuss people who want to be offended are taking rather than just letting it fade into the obscurity it deserved.

Now you're deliberately avoiding the point that Farage doesn't really care about Jo Brand so I'll just ramble on, it is interesting to think that she wouldn't make this type of joke at a club in Brexit heartlands with the sweaty masses for an audience. No, she didn't have to take the risk and would be funny about something else. However, she knows it is a good joke to take through the door at the BBC and that the audience will laugh.

One thing she wouldn't do would be to make a similar joke about a leading Remain figure, knowing full well that not only the audience were unlikely to find it funny but also because it might seriously tamper with her future appearances and earning power with the BBC. It's that sense of safety she exudes that gives the game away, see?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending