Cheap meals when backpacking? Watch

WastingMyThyme
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hellllllo

From the looks of the summer holiday and Interrail threads, a LOT of people are going away on this forum (funnily enough) and I'm guessing quite a lot of them will be backpacking too.

So, rather than blowing tight budgets on restaurants with prices hiked up just for tourists, I was wondering what sort of meals people find good/easy to prepare whilst on the road? With this I mean things you can pick up in a supermarket wherever you are and eat without too much cost/pain of having to eat it etc.

I'm thinking along the lines of things like good 'ol tuna and sweetcorn mixed in a tupperware box etc.. !!

Any ideas? All I've found so far for things like 'backpacking meals' is things people take with them like Geobars (!!) or whatever, rather than easy meals/food to eat.

Merci

WMT
Soulman87
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was thinking of either going to a restaurant away from tourist areas every so often. Otherwise I am planning on picking up bits and bobs from markets or shops and taking them back to the hostel I'm at.

Thanks for this thread, I hadn't really considered this aspect of my holiday!
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Carrying bread and jam around is always a good idea :P Nice evening snack or breakfast, along with tea bags! Just prepare your own lunchs by buying stuff from the supermarket.
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
pasta, for all those hostels with kitchens. You can always buy tinned tuna/sweetcorn. I agree with Ewan, bread and jam is always a good way to feed your hunger (even though you get so sick of it after awhile).

You could also make couscous salad, similar to your tupperware mix.
Chase Me
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends where you're going. In Asia, you're best bet are local food markets and street vendors. The markets are normally frequented by locals as opposed to tourists, so there are no price hikes, just brilliant, authentic dishes at ridiculously low prices. They're basically just large congregations of every type of food vendor imaginable, and you can go around buying different things from different stands, spending a few pence here, a few pence there. We at till we burst just about every night for 50p or so, sometimes less.
username9303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
McDonalds!
pinkhyppie
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
peanuts!
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
If you are in a hostel and it has a kitchen after a quick trip to a supermarket you are sorted. In Europe supermarket bread and cheese and meats is a good way to go.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (68)
37.57%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (60)
33.15%
I don't have an opinion (53)
29.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed