The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham Medicine (A100) 2020 entry

I decided to create this as a discussion for those interested in applying for 2020 entry for the University of Nottingham medical school!

I'm currently in my first year at sixth form, studying biology, chemistry and computer science with AAA predicted grades.

What about you?

Edited to add: Nottingham Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6333388
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently in my first year at sixth form, studying biology, chemistry and Mathematics.

I was going to apply for Nottingham University for medicine but they highly rely on you GCSE grades than A-level . The interview is MMI (multi-mini - interviews) which is an interview format that uses many short independent assessments, typically in a timed circuit, to obtain an aggregate score of each candidate's soft skills. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_mini-interview) . Whereas , other universities for medicine rely more on A-levels and Bmat/Ucat . I would highly recommend you to apply for Universities which do not put much emphasis on GCSE's if your GCSE's does not meet the target required. Also universities of medicine are split to half some do more experience based lectures whereas other do more essay type so you should apply for whats best for you .

I am more Experience based learner than essay writer so I am applying for universities that do more Hospital experience than essay studies and my GCSE don't fully meet their criteria so I am planning to apply for other medical schools that meet,my standards.

Before applying for Nottingham University you should see their entry requirements (heres the link that gets you to Nottingham University requirements page https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Medicine-(Nottingham-and-Derby-pathway)-BMedSci+and+BMBS )

These are universities in UK that does medicine ( http://www.studyin-uk.com/studyuk/medicine/) :

University of Aberdeen, School of Medicine
Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, UoL
University of Birmingham, School of Medicine
Brighton and Sussex Medical School
University of Bristol, Faculty of Medicine
University of Cambridge, School of Clinical Medicine
Cardiff University, School of Medicine
University of Central Lancashire Medical School
University of Dundee, Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Nursing
University of Edinburgh, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
University of Exeter, Medical School
University of Glasgow, College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences
Hull York Medical School
Imperial College School of Medicine, London
Keele University, School of Medicine
King's College London School of Medicine
Lancaster University, Faculty of Health & Medicine
University of Leeds, School of Medicine
University of Leicester, Leicester Medical School
University of Liverpool, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Postgraduate Medical School)
University of Manchester, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences
Newcastle University Medical School
Norwich Medical School, University of East Anglia
University of Nottingham, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Oxford, Medical Sciences Division
Plymouth University Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry
Queen's University Belfast, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
University of Sheffield, School of Medicine
University of Southampton, School of Medicine
University of St Andrews, Faculty of Medical Sciences
St George's, University of London
Swansea University Medical School
University College London, University College Medical School
University of Warwick, Warwick Medical School

These are universities that doesn't emphasize on GCSE's (https://www.emilystudies.co.uk/applying-to-medicine-qa/ ) :

University of Cambridge
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
Keele University
King’s College London
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
Queen Mary’s University London
Queen’s University Belfast
University of Southampton
University of St Andrews
University College London
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths and have done an AS in Physics. I'm currently predicted A*AA and I'm still not sure where I want to apply so I'm looking at university open days and then hopefully figuring things out.
Original post by Paper_in_ASHES
I'm currently in my first year at sixth form, studying biology, chemistry and Mathematics.

I was going to apply for Nottingham University for medicine but they highly rely on you GCSE grades than A-level . The interview is MMI (multi-mini - interviews) which is an interview format that uses many short independent assessments, typically in a timed circuit, to obtain an aggregate score of each candidate's soft skills. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_mini-interview) . Whereas , other universities for medicine rely more on A-levels and Bmat/Ucat . I would highly recommend you to apply for Universities which do not put much emphasis on GCSE's if your GCSE's does not meet the target required. Also universities of medicine are split to half some do more experience based lectures whereas other do more essay type so you should apply for whats best for you .

I am more Experience based learner than essay writer so I am applying for universities that do more Hospital experience than essay studies and my GCSE don't fully meet their criteria so I am planning to apply for other medical schools that meet,my standards.

Before applying for Nottingham University you should see their entry requirements (heres the link that gets you to Nottingham University requirements page https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Medicine-(Nottingham-and-Derby-pathway)-BMedSci+and+BMBS )

These are universities in UK that does medicine ( http://www.studyin-uk.com/studyuk/medicine/) :

Hull York Medical School

These are universities that doesn't emphasize on GCSE's (https://www.emilystudies.co.uk/applying-to-medicine-qa/ ) :

University of Cambridge
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
Keele University
King’s College London
Lancaster University
University of Leicester
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
Queen’s University Belfast
University of St Andrews

Thankfully my GCSE grades are not a problem. I have four 8s, five 7s, one A* and a 6. A lot of advice posted here is useful for others though.
Original post by chibichibi_xx
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths and have done an AS in Physics. I'm currently predicted A*AA and I'm still not sure where I want to apply so I'm looking at university open days and then hopefully figuring things out.

Good luck with your decision making! Where else are you looking into?
Original post by pericardium
Thankfully my GCSE grades are not a problem. I have four 8s, five 7s, one A* and a 6. A lot of advice posted here is useful for others though.

Good luck with your decision making! Where else are you looking into?

I'm looking at St. George's, Queen Mary, Bristol (and maybe UCL if I decide to take the BMAT - still not sure). I initially wanted to go to King's but I went to the open day and I honestly don't know what the hype about King's is - I wasn't really impressed so I might not apply there.
All of my teachers say that GCSEs are really important when we were all stressed out just before we got our predictions which is good news for me because I got four 9s, three 8s, two 7s, a 6 and an A* because I did poorly in our predictor exams.
Original post by chibichibi_xx
I'm looking at St. George's, Queen Mary, Bristol (and maybe UCL if I decide to take the BMAT - still not sure). I initially wanted to go to King's but I went to the open day and I honestly don't know what the hype about King's is - I wasn't really impressed so I might not apply there.
All of my teachers say that GCSEs are really important when we were all stressed out just before we got our predictions which is good news for me because I got four 9s, three 8s, two 7s, a 6 and an A* because I did poorly in our predictor exams.

Those are great results, I can't imagine them hindering you at all. I know where you're coming from with the hype about King's - I think that applies for a lot of London universities though. I do like the look of St George's, though I think I am going to steer clear of London universities. The universities I am currently most interested in seem to be Nottingham, Edinburgh, Newcastle and Manchester. While I am not planning on sitting the BMAT, my list of universities may change depending on how well I do in the UCAT.
i’m studying bio, chem and maths at a level. i’m predicted A*AA and have got four 9’s, two 8’s, three 7’s and a 5 in spanish (no one in my school did well at spanish :frown:). i went to the open day yesterday and absolutely LOVED it!! i thought it would be one of my choices and now it’s the top of my ranking! i’m also looking at bristol, exeter and bham - but i’m not sure if i’ll like the pbl at exeter so idk yet!
I had a look at the Nottingham medicine website. There seems to be a points system out of 56 for their selection process to interview. 16 for GCSEs and 40 for UCAT. Anyone know the cut-off in previous years or have a prediction of what to get? Good luck!
Original post by T3J
I had a look at the Nottingham medicine website. There seems to be a points system out of 56 for their selection process to interview. 16 for GCSEs and 40 for UCAT. Anyone know the cut-off in previous years or have a prediction of what to get? Good luck!

I was lucky enough to speak to the head of admissions for medicine during my Sutton Trust Summer School and had this very specific question for her. I had a score of 14 out of 16 for the GCSEs which she said would not at all cause me any problems. I did ask her if she could provide any statistics or figures from previous years and she said that they are details they do not release purely because they think they are not at all useful, because they fluctuate every year.

From what I understand, they don't operate based on a cut off, more so just look at the top X candidates.
I score a 13 on gcses would that be a problem my predicted grades are A*AA and I'm yet to do the UCAT.... I'm a bit upset as i really liked Nottingham
No it wouldn’t be a problem, although you would have to do slightly better in the UCAT. I’ve heard around that a score of 45/46 out of 56 is competitive. Also aim for a band 1 in sj. So basically if you get 600+ in all four sections and a band 1 you should have a good chance of an interview!
Original post by Elissamoor123
I score a 13 on gcses would that be a problem my predicted grades are A*AA and I'm yet to do the UCAT.... I'm a bit upset as i really liked Nottingham
First of all great job on the ucat, that score is crazy good! Secondly, if you really like Nottingham go for it, the worst that happens is you get rejected and then at least you know you tried. Also 48 is very competitive and likely to get an interview (probably)
Original post by Polkadot2018
I’m really keen on Nottingham too but the bandings for how they calculate points for interview work don’t really work well for me. I got 757 in the UCAT but my scores for the various sections mostly fall towards or right at the top of a band so I lose points here plus I only got an SJT2 so lose a further 2 points here too. I’ve been advised to take advantage of my UCAT score and apply to places which use the more typical cut off UCAT threshold. I was really impressed with Nottingham but just don’t know whether I should risk trying to make the cut for interview. I’ve got 48 points which would have been ok for last year but who knows this year! What do others think?
I’m really keen on Nottingham too but the bandings for how they calculate points for interview work don’t really work well for me. I got 757 in the UCAT but my scores for the various sections mostly fall towards or right at the top of a band so I lose points here plus I only got an SJT2 so lose a further 2 points here too. I’ve been advised to take advantage of my UCAT score and apply to places which use the more typical cut off UCAT threshold. I was really impressed with Nottingham but just don’t know whether I should risk trying to make the cut for interview. I’ve got 48 points which would have been ok for last year but who knows this year! What do others think?

Woah that ucat score is really good.... How much preparation did u do :smile:
Reply 13

48 would exceed any cut off for the last 5 years and would essentially mean everybody who applied would have to gain 4 extra 8/9s at GCSE or climb out of the 600s into the 700s for UCAT and this is not going to happen. If you like it, apply, you will be fine.
Having said htat, with a UCAT score at that evel you would be pretty wwell guaranteed interviews at any of the med schools that select on UCAT alone
Reply 14
Original post by Paper_in_ASHES

Hull York Medical School

University of Cambridge
University of Exeter
University of Glasgow
Imperial College London
Keele University
King’s College London - use GCSEs in scoring
Lancaster University
University of Leicester - use GCSEs in scoring
University of Manchester
Newcastle University
Queen’s University Belfast - use GCSEs in scoring
University of St Andrews

The list of those that do not actively score GCSEs for interview selection should be:
Aberdeen
ARU
Barts
BSMS
Bristol
Cambridge (though they will be taken into account, they are not formally scored)
UCLan (only accept applicants from the North West via UCAS)
Edge Hill (though you need 5 x 6+s to apply)
Exeter
Glasgow
Imperial
Keele (though you need 5 x 7s to be able to apply)
Kent and Medway (though you need 5 x 6+s to apply)
Lancaster (though you need 6 x 7s and 3 x 6s to apply, but they do not score beyond that)
Liverpool (again, you need 6 x 7s and 3 x 6s as a minimum requiremnt)
Manchester (need 7 x 7s or above to apply)
Newcastle
Plymouth
Sheffield (need 5 x 7s to apply)
Southampton (need 6 x 7s to apply)
SGUL
St Andrews (advise 5 x 7s to apply)
Sunderland (though you need 5 x 7s to be able to apply)
UCL

Though as you can see, many of them have high GCSE minimum requirements

Swansea and Warwick are GEM only
Thank you. I’m a bit disappointed about the SJT 2 but happy with the average score. I spent a bit of time (3-4 hrs a week?) for about 4 weeks beforehand and then really ramped it up for the week before the test (4 hrs a day). I tried to postpone it actually as I was worried I’d not given myself enough time but spaces at my local test centre were few and far between. I think by the day of the test I felt as if I’d made quite a bit of progress and this was levelling off so decided to go ahead on the day. So glad it’s done now. When is yours booked for?

9th sept hope it goes well ahaha xx
Hi I’m wondering if I have any chance of gettin into notts with:
Eight grades 9s
One grade 8 (eng lit)
One grade 7 (german)
One A*
Predicted: A*A*A*
Ucat 680 average band 2
Reply 17
Original post by Dhdjdksk
Hi I’m wondering if I have any chance of gettin into notts with:
Eight grades 9s
One grade 8 (eng lit)
One grade 7 (german)
One A*
Predicted: A*A*A*
Ucat 680 average band 2

Work out your school using their algorithm. You are aiming for 44 to 45 which has been successful in previous years
Original post by GANFYD
Work out your school using their algorithm. You are aiming for 44 to 45 which has been successful in previous years

My score is 47. Is that decent?
Reply 19
Original post by Dhdjdksk
My score is 47. Is that decent?

It is above recent cut offs, is that decent?