Splishsplash
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Polkadot2018, I was non contextual, scored 47 before ps, average UKCAT and secured a place.
Anna191817
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Crazy26)
Hi guys!
I have a score of 46/56 for GCSEs and ukcat, do I have a chance of progressing to the second stage where personal statements are assessed? Plssssssss help!!
Is Nottingham UCAT heavy? In saw somewhere on their website that both gcse and ucat make up points and only people with the highest amount of points get an interview. Is this true? And does anyone happen to know what the cutoff score for this would be?

[edit- never mind only realised that people are already discussing it here
Last edited by Anna191817; 5 months ago
Anna191817
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by SanityGone)
Notts, Kings, Sheffield, Bristol. Might change Bristol though.

My stats are
GCSE 6xA*, 4xA, 2xB
A level predicted 3xA*
UKCAT 720/ band 1

how about you?
Woah your ucat is absolutely amazing. I’m sitting mine in about a week and a half. How much ucat prep did you do, if you don’t mind me asking? I have no hopes of getting above 650
SanityGone
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anna191817)
Woah your ucat is absolutely amazing. I’m sitting mine in about a week and a half. How much ucat prep did you do, if you don’t mind me asking? I have no hopes of getting above 650
Hi,

i literally just used medify. It was so helpful doing the timed tests.

I did change my mind and not apply to Bristol in the end. I went to the imperial open day with a friend and loved it, so decided to take a gamble and sit the BMAT. I did better than I thought and got an interview then an offer (A*AA). I had an offer for Sheffield, Nottingham offered me Lincoln and kings put me on a waiting list. I firmed imperial, insured Sheffield, withdrew from Nottingham as I didn’t want to go to Lincoln, and withdrew from kings - I wanted to make my decisions so I could get on with revision.

On results day I got A*A*A* and I’m packing for imperial 😊
Sososnake
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
This is for 2019 entry? So did they score the personal statement last year?
(Original post by Ems6)
Hi there, 2019 application cycle score was 47 before personal statement; interviewed and received an offer, non-contextual applicant. Hope that this helps.
(Original post by Splishsplash)
Hi Polkadot2018, I was non contextual, scored 47 before ps, average UKCAT and secured a place.
Polkadot2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Sososnake)
Blimey! I’m so confused. Just spoke to Nottingham to try to establish whether threshold score 50 from FOI for last year was out of the 56 (GCSE/UCAT Max). Was on phone some time talking to couple of people who really nice and tried to be helpful but bottom line is with my score (48) should def go for it. Apparently 50 score last year may have been based on different criteria to what we will be using for 2020 entry as some suggestion PS could have factored in there. Person I spoke to suggested I do a FOI to get clear breakdown to be sure.
Last edited by Polkadot2018; 5 months ago
Splishsplash
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey Sososnake yeah 2019 entry. It was the last year PS was scored.
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ems6)
Hi there, 2019 application cycle score was 47 before personal statement; interviewed and received an offer, non-contextual applicant. Hope that this helps.
Would be great if you can shed light on what the ‘50’ cut off threshold score for 2019 as stated in recent FOI document is made up of? Can you remember what points PS was worth last year when/if it was calculated in to decide cut off score for interviews? Some people telling me it was 50/56 for ucat/gcse’s but I’ve also heard this may not have been the case.
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey Sososnake yeah 2019 entry. It was the last year PS was scored.
How certain are you? I score 48/49 at the moment
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Polkadot2018)
Blimey! I’m so confused. Just spoke to Nottingham to try to establish whether threshold score 50 from FOI for last year was out of the 56 (GCSE/UCAT Max). Was on phone some time talking to couple of people who really nice and tried to be helpful but bottom line is with my score (48) should def go for it. Apparently 50 score last year may have been based on different criteria to what we will be using for 2020 entry as some suggestion PS could have factored in there. Person I spoke to suggested I do a FOI to get clear breakdown to be sure.
I was going to do an FOI too another day
Splishsplash
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
How certain are you? I score 48/49 at the moment
Hi Sososnake 100% sure ps was scored last year but a good point was kinda raised here that scores for each element might be different from last year. Pretty sure you could score up to 16 points for ps last year.
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi Sososnake 100% sure ps was scored last year but a good point was kinda raised here that scores for each element might be different from last year. Pretty sure you could score up to 16 points for ps last year.
So the cutoff was 50 after ps scoring? That seems very low
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I suppose medical schools not huge fans of FOI requests because of the second guessing etc it causes potential applicants who then rule themselves out based on criteria when the following year they may well have been accepted. Understandable however when we are all working so hard on so many levels (academics, volunteering, extra-curricular, UCAT/BMAT prep) that we will want to be as well informed as we can be so we optimise our own strengths/weaknesses. As much as I would love to apply to Nottingham, I want to become a doctor first and foremost. Really hope we can get to bottom of this so that some of us don’t err and either apply or not apply because not fully in the picture. Only seems fair.
Sososnake
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I suppose medical schools not huge fans of FOI requests because of the second guessing etc it causes potential applicants who then rule themselves out based on criteria when the following year they may well have been accepted. Understandable however when we are all working so hard on so many levels (academics, volunteering, extra-curricular, UCAT/BMAT prep) that we will want to be as well informed as we can be so we optimise our own strengths/weaknesses. As much as I would love to apply to Nottingham, I want to become a doctor first and foremost. Really hope we can get to bottom of this so that some of us don’t err and either apply or not apply because not fully in the picture. Only seems fair.
Yep we definitely need to find out if that cutoff includes the ps score for last year
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yep we definitely need to find out if that cutoff includes the ps score for last year
Chink of light possibly? Seeing comments that PS scored out of 16, and also that there a cut off score of 34 for 2019 cycle. Is it possible that the ‘50’ threshold was total of 16 for personal statement and 34 for UCAT/GCSE score (was this element scored same as this year, and so out of 56?). If so, 34 out of 56 does seem low. I suppose also, by not factoring in PS this year at all, difficult to know how ‘safe’ a score of 48 or 49 would be this year.
A_J_B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I don’t think so. I’ve been over this thread and it seems the 45-49 scores were Pathway applicants etc. The posters who received interviews seemed to be getting 50/51 scores etc. The SJT2 cost me dearly. But tbh, even if I’d scored a band 1 I’d still only have just met last years threshold. Just can’t afford the risk when I can apply to UCAT heavy uni’s with greater certainty or any which credit A* predictions such as Exeter and Cambridge. Sad about it though 😥
Last year's cu off included the ps score probs(not 100% sure). 45 or 44 was the cut off out of 56. Got an interview with 45 out of 56, although I'm not a pathway applicant.
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by A_J_B)
Last year's cu off included the ps score probs(not 100% sure). 45 or 44 was the cut off out of 56. Got an interview with 45 out of 56, although I'm not a pathway applicant.
I understand now that interviews were offered after PS were scored alongside UCAT/GCSE score. So the ‘50’ threshold for non-contextuals last year to receive interviews was out of the max possible score of 72 (made up of 56 Max UCAT/GCSE and 16 PS)? So advice from various people that score of 46 plus for UCAT/GCSE should be fine seems to stand. I suppose the unknown bit this year is how that number may be affected without PS counting towards interview. Thoughts GANFYD please whether in your opinion they like to be subject to move greater than usual? Or is that a bit unfair of me to put on you 🤪?
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
According to a FOI shared by GANFYD last years cutoff was 50/56 for an interview
Pretty gutted. 😥Nottingham my first choice and now not an option. The way they score UCAT means that even with decent UCAT (757 -SJT2) I only score 48 as I also lose point for GCSE’s, and for 2019 entry the cut off for non contextual was 50. Back to the drawing board with regard choices. Currently looking at Newcastle, Bristol and either Cambridge or Exeter. Plan to check out Sheffield, Liverpool and possibly Manchester now. Soooooooo disappointed.....
OK, further clarification from Nottingham
We can confirm that the personal statement was scored as part of the 2019 selection process and the score required to reach the personal scoring stage (GCSE and UCAT scoring) was 34.

So 2018 was 45 for academics and 52 after PS
2019 was 34 for academics and 50 post PS.

I felt it unlikely they would have a cut off at that sort of level, especially given they had 80 extra places over the last 2 years (so likely 200+ extra interviews).
They do, however, still need to cut some people off just with academics/UCAT who would have made the cut to have PS assessed, as they used that to reject some last year. So cut off between the 2 numbers seems likely and 45 still feels reasonable if you look at the stats needed to make that up - most people will have 28 for UCAT, 14 to 16 for GCSEs and a 4 for SJT = 46-48. I think it is unlikely to go higher than 48 as needs full GCSEs, B1 and at least 1 700 subset in UCAT to achieve that.
I don't know this, but I would be happy to apply with 46 and would give it a go at 45 if I really liked Nottingham and had other safe choices. I actually suspect it will be lower, so depends how risk averse you are!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I understand now that interviews were offered after PS were scored alongside UCAT/GCSE score. So the ‘50’ threshold for non-contextuals last year to receive interviews was out of the max possible score of 72 (made up of 56 Max UCAT/GCSE and 16 PS)? So advice from various people that score of 46 plus for UCAT/GCSE should be fine seems to stand. I suppose the unknown bit this year is how that number may be affected without PS counting towards interview. Thoughts GANFYD please whether in your opinion they like to be subject to move greater than usual? Or is that a bit unfair of me to put on you 🤪?
Have posted on the 2020 thread and stuck my neck out!!
Polkadot2018
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
OK, further clarification from Nottingham
We can confirm that the personal statement was scored as part of the 2019 selection process and the score required to reach the personal scoring stage (GCSE and UCAT scoring) was 34.

So 2018 was 45 for academics and 52 after PS
2019 was 34 for academics and 50 post PS.

I felt it unlikely they would have a cut off at that sort of level, especially given they had 80 extra places over the last 2 years (so likely 200+ extra interviews).
They do, however, still need to cut some people off just with academics/UCAT who would have made the cut to have PS assessed, as they used that to reject some last year. So cut off between the 2 numbers seems likely and 45 still feels reasonable if you look at the stats needed to make that up - most people will have 28 for UCAT, 14 to 16 for GCSEs and a 4 for SJT = 46-48. I think it is unlikely to go higher than 48 as needs full GCSEs, B1 and at least 1 700 subset in UCAT to achieve that.
I don't know this, but I would be happy to apply with 46 and would give it a go at 45 if I really liked Nottingham and had other safe choices. I actually suspect it will be lower, so depends how risk averse you are!
Great post. Thank you. In answer to your question, not hugely 🤣 Score of 48 but need to think about this some more. Glad the uncertainty here resolved though regarding thresholds. Appreciate your help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.53%
No (241)
33.47%

Watched Threads